Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important: Bison in Delta

Default Important: Bison in Delta

I just recieved an e-mail from the head of the AC here in delta about the farmers and the bison problem with there crops.

2 Proposals have been entered by the farmers, the first is to cut the herd in half,(360 to 180 the count they have now before calving) secound is fencing them off on the bison range til Oct 1st, if thats leagal because of the free range, I need to go reserch this, just thought I'd give you a heads up. He also wanted to here all your thoughts.E.S.

If there is any problem then I would hope the herd would be moved. I can't imagine the likely hood of them culling the herd. Honestly I have a feeling they will be left alone and the farmers will just have to deal with it.

Lujon, I was'nt going to say this before, but I'm going to say it now, (I feel and have felt it was the farmers that instegated the cow hunts.) There is no data of the moose in the northen part of 20D. They just took counts when they all came out of the hills and got together in SW 20D
    I could be wrong but this is looking fishy. I will try to keep following this study. I don't know if I can put a e-mail address for don on here without getting in trouble, let me know if it would break the rules.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

rock you talking the Bio. Don in FBK? he is my neighbor sorta....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

No Don Q. AC. in Delta, but Don Y. probably knows just as much.

Default Get Your Facts Straight

You people might want to get your facts straight before you go shooting off at the mouth!! The cow hunt was brought on by the bio Steve Dubois here in Delta, not by the FARMERS!! The moose don't do near the amount of damage that moose do, can't even compare! I should know I live here and my parents farm here, and I would have to say that it ticks me off to no end to read such crap that is so far from the truth it's crazy. Put yourselves into the position of the farmers who make their living by farming and something gets thrown into the mix years ago that seemed like a good idea at the time to help and promote hunting and a so called re-introducing of an animal, and that factor is free to go and do what it will in what little farming ground there is. And also the factor of the weather which no one has control of stack up against the farmer and his yearly income is cut in half or two thirds now what? One can be altered the other not so, so now what would you do, how would you plan on making it so your family and make ends meet? It would be no different for some other job with factors thrown into the mix where some could be altered and some you have no control over. Why don't you stop and think about the big picture rather than your once in a lifetime chance at drawing a bison tag, when infact there reintroducing some more here on some island, can't remember the name and the two other herds here in the state, that infact have only the wildnerness to roam about. Yeah I'm sure not everyone will be happy on what ever the outcome is but god sake put your **** trophy hunter ego's aside for a change.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGSP View Post
    You people might want to get your facts straight before you go shooting off at the mouth!! Put yourselves into the position of the farmers who make their living by farming and something gets thrown into the mix years ago that seemed like a good idea at the time to help and promote hunting and a so called re-introducing of an animal, and that factor is free to go and do what it will in what little farming ground there is.
    Speaking of getting facts straight. I think you are implying that the Delta Bison were recently introduced. In fact the herd was introduced in 1923. I don't know when farming was started in the Delta area, but I do know it really got cranked up in the 80's. This is one of the reasons the Bison ranges were created. We have our own Web Master to give some of the credit for those gems.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ge.delta_bison
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I'm aware of the herd being introduced in the 20's there was orginally 23 of them brought in, and yes the farming was kicked off in the 80's.
    Whats your piont?

Default JKB

I agree with your post. Those bison were here LONG before we considered farming. It is a unique herd and should remain intact as is. A reduction would simply be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGSP View Post
    I'm aware of the herd being introduced in the 20's there was orginally 23 of them brought in, and yes the farming was kicked off in the 80's.
    Whats your piont?
    My only point is to make sure people are aware that these Bison were not introduced just recently. As well farmers have had to deal with these animals in the area since large scale farming began. I think there must be solutions that don't involve cutting the only road accesible Bison herd in the state in half.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default That is a...

very good point. There has to be other solutions to the problems with the bison. I know some farmers and respect their efforts to make a go of it, but I think along with the creation of this farming environment was also the perspective that they would have to coexist with the bison. It would be a outrage to cut the number of the herd in half.

Default Should we take a lesson from Africa?

The elephant, lion, cape buffalo, rhino, kudu, sable, etc., etc., have all been saved from virtual extinction by the economics of HUNTING. We should encourage Fish & Game and the Delta farmers to work with all of us to provide even better habitat for the bison, perhaps even increasing the herd size, for the express purpose of hunting.

I find it difficult to imagine that the bison do more harm than they would be worth on the hunting marketplace. There must be a way to find a balance between big money (read non-resident, but only as a generalization) hunters having all the access, and resident Alaskans maybe even having a greater possibility of drawing one of those elusive permits.

Let's face it, economics will have powerful sway on virtually any decisions in the modern world. That is why in many cases, ivory poachers are losing out to hunters for elephant in Africa.

I have a bunch of more specific ideas about this--if it sounds viable, reply with your thoughts, and maybe we can actually effect a real positive change.

Best Regards,
    Jim

There will be a lot of discussion on this topic around Delta.....my gut feeling is that the herd will not be reduced much if any......there are ongoing talks amongst various agencies to improve habitat on the summer range so the herd will stay there longer......there may be requests for funding to help farmers fence crops.......most of the farmers are level headed folks that are not hell-bent on destroying the herd......these talks are in the early stages and hopefully we will see a solution we can all live with.

GSP's family are hard working farmers trying to get a crop to market but they are also the most hunter friendly farmers in that area.

Default Transplant

They keep talking about transplanting buffalo to the Minto Flats area. Why not transplant a good number of Delta Bison there instead of bringing animals from out of state like they have.

Default Minto

I believe those would be a woodland bison which is different than the plains bison that are in Delta. I am guessing that the diets of the two are a bit different.

Default Thanks Vern

Vern,

Thanks for chiming in. I can only imagine the GSP family are hard working people! Seems to me that most of the farmers there are and they are great people to boot. Hopefully this will be resolved with rational solutions that help the issue. Like I said before, it would be travesty to reduce this great herd.

Thanks Mike.....good to hear from you!

I'll try to figure all of this out and keep you updated.....There are a lot of factors at play here and I don't have all the information.......I don't have a clue what the future of the CRP program is and that could be a huge factor.......getting funds for improving habitat in other areas may be difficult.....

As far as Minto and wood bison goes.....Minto bison would be inaccessible to most of the current bison hunters......Wood Bison were the original Alaska bison and hopefully they can be reintroduced in a location where they can increase into a viable hunt.

Speaking of Wood Bison.......The Yukon Territory is having some very serious hunts for Wood Bison in the herd between Whitehorse and Haines Junction.....last I heard they though they had 2,000+ bison......might be worth checking into.

I seem to recall that some of the Delta farmers who own property frequented by bison make a good portion of their income from the CRP program.

Chisana,

Yes, the farmers in Delta do well with CRP payments but rumors have that changing....

IIRC, they get About $30/acre with max of $50K annually......so something near 1700 acres is required to max out....there are all sorts of regs about percentage of CRP in an areaetc.....these are old numbers from the top of an old man's head so don't take it as gospel.

Merry Christmas Vern, hope all is well with you and your family.

On another note when are we going to get a recent update, not only on the decision of the bison but also on the moose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast