Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peeved with a Native Corp

Unhappy Peeved with a Native Corp

Am I just looking at this wrong or what? I'm looking at hunting in an area and have been informed that a native corp owns alot of the land in the area. They offer permits for NR to the sum of approx $900.00. In trying to do some research I called and talked with a rep and they were more than willing to sell me a permit but have no maps available on line or one that I could have or puchase. All he could tell me was that the land was any from several miles to a couple hundred yrds along a particular river. To top all that off, he made sure to tell me that it's MY RESPONSIBILTY to make sure that I'm not on their property!!! How in the HECK am I suppose to make sure if they can't even provide the info!!!! Is this kind of thing common?

Is this kind of thing common?
    sadly yes and with further conveyances it will be more so...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    .......I'm looking at hunting in an area and have been informed that a native corp owns alot of the land in the area. They offer permits for NR to the sum of approx $900.00. In trying to do some research I called and talked with a rep and they were more than willing to sell me a permit but have no maps available on line or one that I could have or puchase. All he could tell me was that the land was any from several miles to a couple hundred yrds along a particular river. To top all that off, he made sure to tell me that it's MY RESPONSIBILTY to make sure that I'm not on their property!!! How in the HECK am I suppose to make sure if they can't even provide the info!!!! Is this kind of thing common?
    It is now.

Regarding invisible lines, responsibility, and punishment, see here.

Spit it out. Tell us which Native Corp and we may be able to help you with maps. Some Native Corps are excellent at providing maps, others (sadly) are not.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Try contacting "stiginz" - look in the members list link above. He has helped me in the past and works daily with the type of information you seek. Good luck.

Default 17 b&c

It's the Choggiung LTD.........

Bummer. I don't have any information for them. It may be time for a call to the Alaska Dept of Natural Resources to see if they have the info.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

It might take some work but you can use this website to determine the ownership of any property in the state.

http://mapper.landrecords.info/
    Click "Enter Public Site" (pops up in a new window)
    Then click "Ownership map"
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Regarding invisible lines, responsibility, and punishment
    Invisiable lines are quite the problem here.

A friend is a surveyor that works remote projects here in Alaska.

A couple of years back on a remote project cutting survey line, he and his crew was approached by a Parks Service employee who was irate about his cutting trees and brush on federal land.

He shows the NPS guy on the GPS where they were in relation to federal land, and the NPS guy couldn't understand the GPS.

So he takes out a map, orients it and the NPS guy, then shows him that they are THREE miles to the closest boundary with federal land.

The NPS guy doesn't apologize for his behavior or attitude, and then as he leaves, tells my friend that they really shouldn't be cutting down trees.

It isn't any surprise that the native corporation don't know their own boundaries, my friend has made his living for the past 10-15 years working survey jobs for the corporations.

It is your responsibility to know the boundaries. It's the land owners responsibility to ENFORCE it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Doesn't that...

Quote Originally Posted by upstream;386408

The NPS guy [U
    doesn't apologize for his behavior or attitude[/U], and then as he leaves, tells my friend that they really shouldn't be cutting down trees.
    ...just about say it all?

These aren't your father's era rangers.

sayak - love your avatar - have the full sized print at work, called if I remember correctly, "Meat's not meat til it's in the frying pan"

Default what Martentrapper said...

...but they may and can enforce it <grin>.

Default Here is another on line source of info

This the BLMs on-line spatial data system. Since the BLM is the official recorder of all the native land claims they have the most current info. Still not as good as walking into the BLM Public Lands Info office in down town ANC.

The mapping system works well on a high speed connection, but the end product is not all that great. Better than a few lines on a napkin though.

It does not have the GMU boundaries so you will have to know what those are. You can select a USGS topo as the base map which is helpful once you narrow down the the area you are looking for.

If a Native Corp offers an opportunity for a guy from North Carolina to hunt on THEIR LAND, whether fee or free, I'd think he should be grateful for their consideration. Heck, I've lived here all my life and I'm grateful for private property owners who allow me access to their lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    If a Native Corp offers an opportunity for a guy from North Carolina to hunt on THEIR LAND, whether fee or free, I'd think he should be grateful for their consideration. Heck, I've lived here all my life and I'm grateful for private property owners who allow me access to their lands.
    I do agree since it seems that areas are shrinking, however if the NC is going to offer up the ability, they need to back it with boundaries...not make a fella pay for a permit only to sell him out and burn him at the stake if he crosses the line with no way of knowing.

I would think DNR would have detailed maps?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Native Corps may and can prosecute trespassers on their lands. I wouldn't want any hunters from this forum to believe that the only thing that may happen to them if they trespass/hunt on some Native private lands is simply someone asking them to leave. You may be asked to leave all right...but you could be in for some real deep doo doo afterward.

Some Native corps are more strict than others. Some have a real enforcement presence out there during hunting season. Some WILL prosecute trespassers! Native corps are not required to post all their lands. It is up to the hunter to know where he/she is at all times and what lands are private or not.
    Sincerely,
    Last edited by LuJon; 12-12-2008 at 15:41.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Originally *****deleted***.

Native Corps may and can prosecute trespassers on their lands. I wouldn't want any hunters from this forum to believe that the only thing that may happen to them if they trespass/hunt on some Native private lands is simply someone asking them to leave. You may be asked to leave all right...but you could be in for some real deep doo doo afterward......
    I was convicted of misdemeanor criminal trespass after intentionally participating in a blockade of the doors of abortion clinics. We had legal counsel before the events and during our later trials. We were well informed of trespass law, and the abortion clinics were as well (since other abortion clinics in the U.S. had undergone this previously, as well as the Alaskan clinics having dealt with more minor trespass issues with sidewalk protesters).

In order to successfully prosecute a criminal trespass case, the property has to be clearly marked, the offender must be verbally ordered to leave, and the offender must refuse to leave. All this is especially so on remote lands that a potential defendant can clearly show some confusion over.

That does not take civil prosecution into account, but since we were prepared for that possibility as well, I'll delve into that.

In order to successfully achieve a civil judgement, there must be damages.

....Native corps are not required to post all their lands.
    Reference, please.
    Last edited by LuJon; 12-12-2008 at 15:43.

Default Note to Tom-

Tom,

Drop me a line and let's see if we can figure this out for you.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Ahhhh. hmmmm
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast