Thread: compensator noise??

Default compensator noise??

Hey all, another question. Do the compensators on revolvers add a lot of noise, like they do in rifles? I don't think they can, because of the relative closeness of the muzzle and the design of revlovers. I am looking for a good big bore and am going to look at a smith 460. Just want to know about the noise level. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by toby.davis1 View Post
    Hey all, another question. Do the compensators on revolvers add a lot of noise, like they do in rifles? I don't think they can, because of the relative closeness of the muzzle and the design of revlovers. I am looking for a good big bore and am going to look at a smith 460. Just want to know about the noise level. Thanks!!
    Have a 460v and yes I would never consider shooting it without ear protection. as it's on the very loud side. The big push from the compensator blast is not for the timid.

Its not that it makes more noise but the sound gets deflected back at the shooter, along with shock wave. It's a worth while trade off, I shot mine with the compensator off once. Once was enough for me!

Also, don't brace it with the compensator near the paint job on your truck, don't ask.

I love my 460V, I say go for it, you will enjoy it.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by toby.davis1 View Post
    I own a S&W Model 500 and yes, it is louder due to the compensator. It's not AS bad if you are directly behind the gun, i.e. the shooter, but it's worse if you are 10 to 30 degrees off to one side or the other and you can also get powder blown in your face (if you're off to the side.) I've shot mine without ear protection in the field (forgot to put it on) and yup, it's an ear ringer. I see it as a fair trade for 2nd shot quickness in getting back on target.

Brian