Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason to own an Alaska conceal carry permit

Default Another reason to own an Alaska conceal carry permit

Reasons not to have a conceal carry permit:
    - Yet another record owned by the government to let them know where to go when they decide to confiscate guns. Registration is confiscation ...eventually.

Reasons for owning a conceal carry permit (which I believe outweight the above since they know all about me anyway):

- You learn the how/when/why for how to legally and safely carry a handgun, concealed or not, in the State of Alaska.

- Owning the Alaska conceal carry permit allows you to carry in something like 30 other states (see http://www.usacarry.com ...noting that packing.org has gone by the wayside.)

- And now ...or soon anyway, you will be able to carry a concealed and loaded hand gun in National Parks if you own a conceal carry permit. See http://tinyurl.com/6ym378 (Dallas Morning News report on recent overturning of this ban by President Bush.)

I think carrying concealed and loaded weapons in National parks containing bears is a good idea ...it allows you to have effective personal protection without spooking the tourists who aren't used to Alaskan ways. Good for us, good for them.

Brian

The way I understand it is that the parks will uphold the CC laws of the state they are in. That would mean you wont need a permit for Alaska parks if your an Alaskan.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The way I understand it is that the parks will uphold the CC laws of the state they are in. That would mean you wont need a permit for Alaska parks if your an Alaskan.

Andy
    Actually since non-Alaskans are extended the same rights as Alaska residents, they can carry without a permit too in the park and still be in compliance with the law.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Actually since non-Alaskans are extended the same rights as Alaska residents, they can carry without a permit too in the park and still be in compliance with the law.
    In the National park, you can carry right now ...with or without a permit, but the gun must be unloaded (aka "rendered useless"). The overturning of the ban allows you to carry it loaded... that's the key change. But you must have your conceal carry permit ...either an Alaskan one, or one that is recognized by Alaska (see usacarry.com for state by state listings and definitions of 'recognized', 'reciprocal' etc.)

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

Andy
    The park officials told me no, that I could not carry a loaded handgun into Denali National Park. I heard Joe Nava say the same thing on KFAR-660. The new ruling says yes you can. ...The kind of "yes you can" that I like, not that other kind...

Brian

Originally Posted by ADfields

Andy
    That's how I understand it too. Since Alaska law doesn't require a CHL for concealed carry, that would be in compliance with the laws of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    The park officials told me no, that I could not carry a loaded handgun into Denali National Park. I heard Joe Nava say the same thing on KFAR-660. The new ruling says yes you can. ...The kind of "yes you can" that I like, not that other kind...

Brian
    Then it looks like the Nazi Park Circus in it's typical fashion is pushing the envelope to not comply with something they disagree with.
    Now what ?

Or as i look at it one more gun owner on record that i carry and there are so many of us dont even think about taking that right away!

Then it looks like the Nazi Park Circus in it's typical fashion is pushing the envelope to not comply with something they disagree with.
    I don't see it that way. I figure it's like hunting or anything else ...If you go about your business in a discrete fashion, you don't accidentally create new anti-gunners and anti-hunters in this world. Got enough of those. I would happily conceal a loaded revolver into the park and keep the 'sensitive types' in the dark about it. I'm taking Joe's class in January if the schedule works out, and will then be getting my CCW. Already have a Utah one though, and it's recognized here already. Mostly, I'd like to get Joe's training on how things work in Alaska, i.e. the law.

Brian

A concealed carry permit is very useful. Mainly for the reciprocity agreements. As for the new law, as of Dec 5th you can carry a concealed firearm IF you are able to legally carry a concealed firearm in the state the park is located in. A good reason for an Alaskan to get a concealed carry permit would be the forementioned reciprocity agreements that most states honor. That way you would be able to legally carry in state parks in the respective states. The one catch with the new ruling is that states can over ride it. So if Montana decides there will be no guns in Glacier NP, there will be none. If Wyoming decides there should be no guns in Yellowstone, there will be none. It is up to the states and it will surely be months before all the dust settles. Last year there were 8 murders, 46 forceble rapes, and 200+ assaults in national parks. With this in mind, it is my hope that the states will not interfere with this recent progress in legislation.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I don't see it that way. I figure it's like hunting or anything else ...If you go about your business in a discrete fashion, you don't accidentally create new anti-gunners and anti-hunters in this world. Got enough of those. I would happily conceal a loaded revolver into the park and keep the 'sensitive types' in the dark about it. I'm taking Joe's class in January if the schedule works out, and will then be getting my CCW. Already have a Utah one though, and it's recognized here already. Mostly, I'd like to get Joe's training on how things work in Alaska, i.e. the law.

Brian
    It's a good class, I took it back in 2001 with the wife. We did not send the paperwork in for the permits due to lack of funds at the time so we don't hold CC permits.

Andy

Reasons not to have a conceal carry permit:
    - Yet another record owned by the government to let them know where to go when they decide to confiscate guns. Registration is confiscation ...eventually.

Brian

Brian
    Brian-

Hunting and the responsible use of firearms does not create the anti's. You should never be ashamed or scared to express your support of the 2nd amendment. It is your constitutional right!! The more that pro-gun individuals and groups support this right, the stronger we become and the closer we come to defeating the anti's. Unfortunately, our society has become "soft", with their feelings overpowering hard facts and/or reality. Listen to the Nuge (Uncle Ted) and, although he's quite Zen (not really my style), he has a lot of great things to say. More people need to hear the words coming out of his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    A concealed carry permit is very useful. Mainly for the reciprocity agreements. As for the new law, as of Dec 5th you can carry a concealed firearm IF you are able to legally carry a concealed firearm in the state the park is located in. A good reason for an Alaskan to get a concealed carry permit would be the forementioned reciprocity agreements that most states honor. That way you would be able to legally carry in state parks in the respective states. The one catch with the new ruling is that states can over ride it. So if Montana decides there will be no guns in Glacier NP, there will be none. If Wyoming decides there should be no guns in Yellowstone, there will be none. It is up to the states and it will surely be months before all the dust settles. Last year there were 8 murders, 46 forceble rapes, and 200+ assaults in national parks. With this in mind, it is my hope that the states will not interfere with this recent progress in legislation.

Ok, so as I understand it as of 5 Dec. you can carry loaded and concealed in the parks up here, without a permit, as it is in accordance with state law? Is that correct?

Also, does anyone have a link to the actual wording? I'd certainly appreciate it

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I was wrong about the date. It is clarified in this recent info from the NRA website...

Friday, December 12, 2008

As we announced last week, the Department of Interior has released their new regulation that will recognize Right-to-Carry in national parks in those states that allow Right-to-Carry. It is important to note, however, that the new regulations do not take effect until 30 days after their publication in the Federal Register.

The new rules, which were announced on December 5, were published in the Register on December 10. That makes January 9 the first day it will be legal to carry a loaded firearm in National Parks or refuges. Until then, the old regulations that ban possession of loaded firearms are still in effect.

Below is the original article I read on the NRA website...

Friday, December 05, 2008

The U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI), through the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, has announced the final amended version of its changes to rules on carrying of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. DOI’s move will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners who wish to transport and carry firearms for lawful purposes on most DOI lands, and will make federal law consistent with the state law in which these public lands are located. NRA led the effort to amend the existing policy regarding the carrying and transportation of firearms on these federal lands.

“Today’s announcement by the U.S. Department of the Interior brings clarity and uniformity for law-abiding gun owners visiting our national parks,” said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. “We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's National Parks and wildlife refuges.”

DOI announced the rule change today and will publish the new regulations in the Federal Register. The new regulations allow right-to-carry permit holders to exercise their Second Amendment rights on national park and wildlife refuges in those states that recognize such permits. The move will provide consistency across our nation’s federal lands and put an end to the patchwork of regulations that governed different lands managed by different federal agencies. In the past, Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service lands allowed the carrying of firearms, while lands managed by DOI did not.

NRA has long held that amendments to those regulations were needed to reflect the changed legal situations with respect to state laws on carrying firearms. Earlier this year, fifty-one U.S. Senators sent a strong bipartisan letter to the DOI supporting the move to make state firearms laws applicable to national park lands and refuges.

“These changes respect the Second Amendment rights of honest citizens as they enjoy our public lands,” concluded Cox. “We applaud the Interior Department’s efforts to amend these out of date regulations.”

Below is the full version of the law change....

From the Dept of Interior website...

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html

http://www.doi.gov/issues/NPS_FR_PDF12-9-08.pdf

Below is a FAQ on the subject from Dept of Interior website...

http://www.doi.gov/issues/Firearms%2...%2012-4-08.pdf
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default A question

What would happen to a person that was caught carrying a concealed weapon w/o a permit? (not talking about in the park or anything)
    For that matter, who would bust you for carrying a pistol w/o the permit?
    My understanding is that a person with a CC permit is held to a higher degree of the law if/when something happens because they are supposed to know the laws having the class under thier belt.
    Thoughts and opinions welcome...
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    What would happen to a person that was caught carrying a concealed weapon w/o a permit? (not talking about in the park or anything)
    My understanding is that a person with a CC permit is held to a higher degree of the law if/when something happens because they are supposed to know the laws having the class under thier belt.
    Thoughts and opinions welcome...
    BK
    I doubt you are really held to a higher degree because of a CC, mainly because ignorance isn't an excuse for breaking a law. Could be wrong though.

I agree 100% that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Don't count on playing that card. It will fall on deaf ears.

I hear you load and clear, just interested in your opinions or experiences. Anyone want to chime in on getting caught w/o a permit?
    BK

Just don't!

And by that I mean get caught!
    Nothing will happen to you in Alaska, we don't need a CC permit. If you are allowed to own a gun here you can pack it.

Andy

Default Thoughts and opinions

A permit is no longer required by Alaskan law to carry concealed.
    With or without a permit, you are required by the law to notify any law enforcement officer that you are armed if you are carrying concealed, and to do it early in the encounter. Any L/E can bust you. You are also required to tell others (e.g. when you enter someone's dwelling...Hey! I did not write the law, but it is there in black and white.)
    Thoughts and opinions welcome...BK
    If you choose to carry an instrument of deadly force, you have announced (in a concealed manner, but the announcement is still implicit) your intent to use it if the circumstances require. That puts a duty on you to know what those circumstances are. While the class is not required, it is a good idea. This is my way of telling you that you should be CERTAIN of what the law requires of you. And you should also be CERTAIN of what your own morality requires as well.

Taking a life is a sobering thought. Even just having the means of taking a life is sobering (whether it is a car, a threshing machine or a firearm), or ought to be.

Remember to practice, practice, practice. Also, read the works of Massad Ayoob on what to do in the aftermath of a shooting (to keep yourself out of court-civil as well as criminal).

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 12-13-2008 at 12:23. Reason: spelling

Default Article

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Ok, so as I understand it as of 5 Dec. you can carry loaded and concealed in the parks up here, without a permit, as it is in accordance with state law? Is that correct?

Also, does anyone have a link to the actual wording? I'd certainly appreciate it

Jon
    The article says the law doesn't go into effect for 30 days after the law was inacted ; so it would be JAN 5th. This law still doesn't give you the right to enter the buildings in National Parks while in possession of a loaded firearm WITH or WITHOUT a permit; the buildings are still "OFF LIMITS".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast