Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose quarters , ribs , neck

Default Moose quarters , ribs , neck

MOOSE : Why does regulations require to leave meat naturally attached to the bone but in other units it's permitted to debone ? What's the reasoning or purpose .

Good question, why dont ya give Fish & Feathers a call and see what they tell you.
    Tennessee

Default Not To Mention

In some areas your required to salvage the liver and heart. Go ask someone greater than I.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

History of wasted meat. Trophy head hunters period!

Default Meat salvage question

Ultra Mag,

Meat keeps better in the field when it's left on the bone. That's the short answer. The reason it is required in some GMUs and not in others is because ADFG targeted the units where meat salvage had been a problem in the past, either because of the remoteness of the area or other factors. An example is GMU 17, where the Hoholitna River lies. That is a long, slow river with limited access points. If you take game early in a Hoho hunt, it takes several days to float to a pick-up point. So that area was one of our first "bone-in requirement" areas.

As to why it is not a state-wide requirement, I believe it is just a matter of time. Probably the places close to urban centers will be last, if at all.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Reality

What is a guy doing a Solo high country Sheep, Goat, or Deer hunt to do? Honestly.......In my opinion there is a huge safety consideration there. Throw an extra 10 pounds on an already heavy load and things start getting ugly.
    I'm sorry but those bones stay in the woods when I'm anywhere above 2,000' from sealevel.

FYI I don't roll ribs on the above game......I just saw them off and carry those out.

I do see an increase in meat loss come processing time because of contamination and exposure on my early high country harvests when I debone for packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    What is a guy doing a Solo high country Sheep, Goat, or Deer hunt to do?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are any bone-in requirements for sheep, goat, or deer. To my knowledge, the regulation only applies to caribou and moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are any bone-in requirements for sheep, goat, or deer. To my knowledge, the regulation only applies to caribou and moose.
    This is correct as far as I am aware. I couldn't imagine having to haul out a sheep or goat on the bone!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I couldn't imagine having to haul out a sheep or goat on the bone!
    That's how I've done all of mine.

Some hunts you have to bring out the head, hide, heart and even the kidneys. It is specifically designed to make it more difficult. The AK F&G want to make it as difficult as possible, to try to get you to stop hunting. If there is no one in the field, they have an easier time of managing you. They can just google up and see if you are at home on the net. This is all being eased in a little bit at a time. Unit by unit and that way they don't get the huge public outrage. They started out with a little PR Campaign about how it would stop meat spoilage and then they started rampiing it up. Some of the folks fell for it, hook-line and sinker (note some earlier posts). But the facts speak clearly and loudly for themselves. It is now very clear what they expect to do in the future. But if you want to play their game, you gotta play by their rules. And....there are a lot of really bad rules we have to play by nowadays.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Some areas like around Tok are obviously catering to the fact that lots of moose hunters fly in by Super Cub. Figure another flight if you have to leave the bone in. Frankly, I always bone out unless I am nearly another mode of transportation other than my feet. I don't have any spoilage issues and it sure is a lot lighter that way. Hell, I even bone out my deer on the spot.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Some hunts you have to bring out the head, hide, heart and even the kidneys. It is specifically designed to make it more difficult. The AK F&G want to make it as difficult as possible, to try to get you to stop hunting. If there is no one in the field, they have an easier time of managing you.
    Is there any hunt other than unit 13 Tier II caribou and moose that require head, hide, heart, and kidney? To my knowledge those are the only ones. It does indeed seem like the intent was to make it more difficult, thus only those that really depend on subsistence will continue jumping throught the hoops to apply. My understanding is that they want to get the Tier II applications #s down far enough that there are some tags left over for a limited drawing. I don't forsee that happening, but that appears to be the goal.

As for F&G wanting to stop folks from hunting, with all due respect, that is a completely ridiculous assertion. They wouldn't have jobs if folks weren't in the field using the resource. There are many F&G programs that are designed specifically to get more people into the field and to increase access and use of the resources available.

You may not agree with all F&G actions, but to suggest that they want to get people to stop hunting is ridiculous at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres
    The AK F&G want to make it as difficult as possible, to try to get you to stop hunting. If there is no one in the field, they have an easier time of managing you.
    Just want to get this straight in my head. Division of Wildlife Conservation budget that pays the salaries of all those folks primarily comes from the sale of hunting licenses and tags.

No hunters in the field equates to no funding. No jobs.

And anyway, it isn't ADFG that sets the regs having to do with meat salvage, it's the Board of Game. All the BOG members are hunters. Don't think they want to get you to stop hunting.

But that's just this crazy bushrat's perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    While that is impressive to haul out all your gear and an entire animal on the bone it does bring one question to my mind and that is why? I like my knees too much to haul extra weight if I can avoid it. I found the surest method is to not shoot anything then my pack is guaranteed to be lighter on the way out

As to the salvage requirements of the Nelchina herd subsistence hunt I guess I am annoyed with the them and they seem outlandish. It basically requires the hunter to have some form of ATV in order to be legal. I understand the principal that subsistence apparently doesn't mean they rely on the game with no other choice but that they choose to eat game and have the longest history of doing so (truthful or not...). I can't see why you would put restriction on the hunt that would all but eliminate the true subsistence back pack hunter.

While that is impressive to haul out all your gear and an entire animal on the bone it does bring one question to my mind and that is why?
    I feel like I am able to salvage more of the meat and that it stays in better condition if I leave it on the bone. If there are two of us with one animal then we have a reasonable load with the meat and camp. If we have two animals then we make two trips. Over the last few years I have run in to other sheep hunters coming out of the field with bags of boned out meat that looked like they could have come off of one of my beagles. They ate the backstraps in the field, that's why the bag was so small. I'm not saying everyone who bones out meat in the field does this, but I'm just doing what works for me.

As to the salvage requirements of the Nelchina herd subsistence hunt I guess I am annoyed with the them and they seem outlandish. It basically requires the hunter to have some form of ATV in order to be legal.

I can't see why you would put restriction on the hunt that would all but eliminate the true subsistence back pack hunter.
    Not that I agree with the head/hide salvage requirements, but it can still be done with a backpack. I took this caribou on a proxy for my sister who was going through cancer treatment at the time. I actually did have an ATV, but it broke down and I had to be towed back to the road. I ended up spotting a group of caribou about 2 miles north of the road in an area without trails, so I hiked out there and took a small bull. It took two very heavy packs to get him out, but it's still doable. You can't really tell from this angle, but one antler is sawed off the skull as per the regulations, and the whole head and hide is in there.

You fit the head, hide, liver, and all the meat into 2 pack trips in that pack? I thought you had to haul the ribs out whole also? Do they require the heart also? If that's one of the packs full of stuff. The other must have been jammed full. Not knocking you by any means. I just don't think I could fit a whole bou in Two packs. I made a mistake and shot my first 'Bou down a shale slide. First pack up neck, front and rear quarter, second pack straps, tenderloins, misc. hamburger meat and the other 2 quarters. With the rack draped over the shoulders, skull plate resting on my neck. Would not have wanted to go down and up again for liver and hide.

Maybe the ribs whole was for moose in the unit 13 area, I don't remember.

If I recall correctly, the ribs had to be on the bone, but not the quarters. I cut the ribs off the vertebrae and rolled them. I was able to get three of the four quarters out on the first trip. Second trip was one quarter, rolled ribs, back and neck meat, hide, head, and organs. It was a young bull, so that made it easier as well.

Default Seems logical to me

that the bone in requirements should apply to units and not species. If a unit is bone-in, then moose, caribou, sheep, goats, bears, what-ever should fall under the rule. Elite sheep, goat and bear hunters accompanied by guides should not fall outside these impediments leveled on the lowly moose and caribou hunters who are just trying to fill their freezers.

It's a class thing, more poor folks hunting down low, make 'em work. Rich guys up high, give 'em a break.

The King owns the game, the king tells you what game you can kill, the method of kill, the place you can kill it, how you can get there, and how to butcher it. Pretty soon there will be regs on how to cook it.

Just seems like too many rules.

Default Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Ditto.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast