Thread: 1st lynx

Default 1st lynx

Last friday I caught my first lynx. I have been keeping tabs on this guy for over a month waiting for the season to start. There hasn't been one caught in these parts for 12yrs and only 4 caught in the last 25yrs. I saved all of my duck carcases this year and had wings hanging all over. I saw him about a week before the season started and he was taking bait for the last month (from wolverine sets). My line is a 4mile walk in and 4mi walk out(no moterized traffic), so i put in my time and effort and boy dose it feel great to have it all pay off. I posted a pic on the picture thread.

Congratulations! beautiful animal. I'd say that is worth a rep point.

Didn't you say you were in southeast? I like walk in lines. I can leave a narrow trail that snowmachiners won't follow and x-country skiers don't want to go through thick stuff curving and cutting between trees. That in turn leads to less stolen traps and confrontation around here. I hate breaking new trail for others to follow, only to have them mess with my stuff. If they want to walk it for birds, bunnies or calling go for it. If they don't wait them out calling it only brings them in closer for my stuff when they leave. I carry a hand caller and crank on it now and then as I am walking the line. I also go out and specifically call and shoot on my line.

Congrats on the Lynx, must be kinda neat to know you were able to get one with so few around. How did you find out how many had been caught during those years. There has to be a few more. What if you caught more in 1 season than all of 25 years

That is one fine lookin catch!!!! Must be superior trapping ability???

Was it male or female? Is your line an 8 mile loop? Cause that's alot of crazy hiking in this area.

I especially like the expression your child has on his face in the photo. He looks like he's already planning to out trap you in the future. LOL

good luck for the rest of the season, aksigns

I am in southeast, but I am not going to elaborate where. I got the info on how many have been caught from F&G. I am going to go back out and see if there is another one around but I have to pull my line this weekend since I will be heading to mexico for a few weeks. I plan on baiting the area pretty heavily before I leave to keep the critters around. But for now it feels like x-mass came early.

It was a female. No it is not a loop just 4mi in and backtrak out, it would be hard to do a loop with the geogrophy here.
    I take my son on some of my shorter lines and really gets a kick out of it even if we get skunked. I took him duck hunting for the first time this year and he now has a permenet job as neck ringer.

Wrap that bait in chicken wire (the kind with the inch and a half by inch and a half , or so holes) covered with a little brush so the birds and small critters don't eat it as quick. It'll last longer while you are gone. Lynx and small critters won't mind and fox will slowly warm up to it. A big bait pile brings in the birds and critters. With the extra commotion other things start showing up. I wrap my beaver carcasses because they can get stripped quick. I slow 'em down with the wire. I put it in a thick brushy area or create a blocked in area and make clear paths into the bait pile and snare the entrances.