Thread: Work Question

Default Work Question

Hey everyone, I am a newbie to this site and have a few questions. I am interested in working for an outfitter during this upcoming year and don't really know how to go about that. If anyone here could give me any advice as how to pursue this it would be very helpful. Actually any input at all would help me a lot. thanks!

Default More info

While I'm a newer guy myself and can't answer your Q's let me help you out before everyone starts in. You need to provide a heck of alot more info for everyone to provide some insight. What is your stats? age, abilities, experience etc... Were do you want to look at? Who ,what,when ,where,why?????

Find the species and area you want to work and spend some time calling all outfitters in that area. Fish and game cqn give you a list, Going to have to prove to them your work history, most don't want the liability of a newbie.

How hard is it to get a job as a packer for an outfitter. From what I've heard from other sources that is pretty much the first step to getting into all of this.

I think the best place to start would be to visit all the small towns in the S.E. and offer to work for free the first few trips or even season.You could start out finding a deckhand job on a gill netter so folks will see what kind of worker you are.Some gill netters are guides and being around and hanging out with the group could help get your foot in the door.

Default where to start

There are registered and master guides (not outfitters up here) looking for packers and camp help all the time. Two places I would start would be contacting the guides through their websites and get a list of all the registered and master guides from the state licensing board. It is how to get into the guiding business. You have to get a letter of recommendation to get your assistant guide license.

FWIW, a lot of guides travel outside beginning very soon to book hunters so it might be wise to wait until late February or March to try to contact them.

I don't think any of your personal info is important here, but it will be when it comes time to talking to the guides. Don't offer to work for free.

I might know some guys who would be looking for help, but like I said a lot of guys are in the booking mode now.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

A few years back my son was going to college in Oregon and wanted to work Summers as a fishing guide in Alaska. He was an accomplished outdoors person but had no guiding experience. He went to the sportsman shows in Portland and Eugene and took a stack resumes. He had seven or eight job offers. He ended up working for Great Alaska for two Summers. I think meeting the guides and outfitters in person really gave him a leg up. Just might be a place to start.