Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trail reports

Default Trail reports

Here's a link to some of the trails here in Alaska. Maybe we can make this a sticky thread?? http://www.anchoragesnowmobileclub.c...il_reports.htm

Went riding out to Petersville this past Sunday and had a great time. There was plenty of snow to play in and we wore ourselves out in about 4 hours. Way too much fun and it was great to be outside again! There was probably 10 inches of fresh snow on top of a layer of crust and then some more softer snow underneath. There were places that I stood in the snow up to my waist and I never touched the ground. The trail in still sucks but once you get past that it's good riding.

Was that sunday 11/22? Please tell me it was going bonkers here!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thumbs up Knik bar to Luce's on the Yentna

Rode out to Luce's on the Yentna yesterday via the Iditarod. There were good parts and bad parts but it was a great ride. The Iditarod trail from Burma to the Little sue was junk but the 300 trail was well groomed. The flats just north of Flathorn lake were smooth. The Big sue and the Yentna were a little beat up but not too bad. There was some thin ice on the Big sue but they where well marked.
    That's what she said...

Default new place to park on the parks

i noticed a sign at mile 60 on the parks hwy offering trailer parking sign.
    sign also stated yenta, susitna, nancy lake, and hatcher pass trailheads within minutes of parking lot, gonna check it out next week might save lots of gas and time and stress! across from the restaurants lot looks like a shortcut to yetna nothing between them and the sleeping lady. what a view!

Quote Originally Posted by bgauthierfamily View Post
    i noticed a sign at mile 60 on the parks hwy offering trailer parking sign.
    sign also stated yenta, susitna, nancy lake, and hatcher pass trailheads within minutes of parking lot, gonna check it out next week might save lots of gas and time and stress! across from the restaurants lot looks like a shortcut to yetna nothing between them and the sleeping lady. what a view!
    I think I know the one you're talking about. Let us know what you find! Thanks.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Could someone give more details about where mile 60 is on the Parks?

Goldminers lodge in Houston is at mile 60 Parks Highway, just past the Little Su bridge.

Default www.goldminerslodgemile60parks.com

only an hour from anchorage, 30mins from wasilla

called phone looks like hours should be closed for dining mon.- fri. (looks like the steak and shrimp will be sat nites dinner) and new open hours starting at 8am on weekends instead of hours from flyer on website,
    trail looks like a straight shot to the luce's on the yetna, according to map on pg.3

Default Nope!

There are only a couple of trails out of mile 60 and all to the west need to cross the railroad track. None are groomed or maintain. Good swamp rideing just on the other side of the tracts. Still the best way to the river is out of Willow. And the trails from mile 60 take you into the Big Lake Trails.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Thumbs down Mile 64 parking..

I always pass a bunch of sled trailers parked at mile 64 when I head to Willow. Where does the trails from this area lead into? Thanks!

Thumbs up Denali Highway Trail report

Latest report is good riding on the Denali Highway,from Cantwell to Mile 68. The snow of the last 3 weeks was a great help! 6" to 12" on the highway. Weather projections for this weekend are highs in the low 30's in Cantwell!! We generally run a lot warmer at mile 68. We do have several trails broke in on the Clearwater Valley, south from the lodge, and good riding can be had up Windy Creek and Valdez Creek roads. We have plenty of rooms available at Alpine Creek Lodge this weekend, and Al and Sue at Maclaren should have some rooms too!

Not sure from Paxson to 68, as we seldom ride that way, or have clients come in that way. Contact Maclaren River Lodge for those details.

Happy riding this weekend, wherever you go! Could be like spring riding with these temps!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Cool mile 64

is actually mile 63.7 on the parks hwy. which is actually lynx lake rd. the trailhead hooks up with nancy lake trail system which hooks up with big lake trails and connects to the iditarod trail and finally to the yetna! the road is ok for public access but does not offer much clearance for trailers or parking, unfortunately the lot is on private property and they want you to ask for permission to park. this week you might wanna try to park at mile 60 motel bar & grill they offer secure parking, then head that way to access trails by way of snowmachine

Default rex / black rapids conditions?

Anyone know the current trail conditions of the Rex and / or Black rapids area?

was out in the nancy lakes area over the long weekend. bitter cold and lots of snow, but no overflow on teh swamps/lakes, which was a blessing. trails were as smooth as i've seen them thanks to the recent snow, so riding was good despite the cold.

Early trail report: Denali Highway. Well, still not enough snow to do any riding. 1" to 5" on the ground. But snow is coming! We expect to be riding by our normal time, Thanksgiving weekend. Just have to wait and see. If your new to riding, get with your local snow machine club! The club rides are a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot from people that have been doing it for year! We are members of every snow machine club in Alaska that I can find. We have two trail rides set up to stay with us with the Anchorge Snow Machine Club this winter.
    Claude

Not to stir up another hornets nest....but.... I here Al has closed up the McClaren lodge until February. Any idea if they got money for grooming and if there are plans to groom for the early season?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Doug,
    Yes, Al and Sue have shut down from Late Oct to Feb 1st, I think. According to the Snowtrac, they did get funds for grooming, but not sure if they plan on grooming while they are closed. It was noted in his application that he would like to see someone else groom the West end of the highway. We do not see anyone coming in for projects at this point, so I doubt we'll see it groomed until at least Februrary. I would like to buy that groomer that goes on my groomer special bearcat to see how it works, but I'd sure like to try it before I buy it! It's 7K.

Should be fine though. I'll be in and out all winter and just got one of those UHMW sleds 4' X 12' and will be picking it up on the way home through Fairbanks.
    Claude

Anyone riding yet? I am dying to get out even if I have to drive but I havent heard anything yet. Pray for snow!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast