Thread: Nikon ProStaff Rifle Scope

Question Nikon ProStaff Rifle Scope

Any opinions on this package deal?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-3-...r-745-kit.html

I am interested in the scope and a friend is interested in the rangfinder. I want to put this scope on a .300 win mag...is it up to the challenge?
    I am looking for input from those who already own this exact scope or have experience with Nikon optics.

Thanks in advance.

Default Nikon

I own the Pro Staff 3x9 on a 300 H&H. Its kept zero but it is NOT waterproof. I also own a set of Nikon ATB 12x42 Binos and they have also leaked and are now fogging.

I'll be sending both back to the company returns department within the week. I've got the forms printed out and ready to roll. I just need to dismount the scope from the rifle.

VERY disapointing after all the $$$$$$ and time spent on sighting in a rifle and a particular load. Luckly I was able to close the distance on my last alpine hunt with this rifle and look through the fogging to seal the deal on a buck. I haven't used it again this season because of the fogging.

The Binos were waterproof for awhile but eventually developed fogging in both sides.

Honest experience from an Alaskan who really used this gear.

Default Nikon Pro-Staff scopes

are on a par with Bushnell Banner and Tasco scopes. I wouldn't use them on a rifle with a lot of recoil or in real inclement weather.

Exclamation hmmm,

that does not sound good!

given the prostaff is lacking in the pro department, does anyone have a recommendation for a 3x9x40 (or so) scope with duplex reticle that would hold up well on a .300 win mag?

my next consideration was a Leupold VX-II...

Default Vx ii

Get the Leopold and don't look back. I've got em on other rifles and it takes a lickin' and performes every time as long as I do.

I just happened to find the Prostaff on sale at a going-out-of-buisness sale. I'll throw it on a cheaper rifle when I get the return.

Default Nikon Monarch

I love my nikon monarchs, i have the 3-9 and the 4-12 and they both taken a beating from 338WM. The 4-12 is on my new tikka T3 7mm. I've had them 6 years not one problem. I would like to get the new 4-16 for the 7mm, and put the 4-12 on my 270.

Terry

You might want to consider the Sightron Sll 3-9x40 which can be had for right around $200. Great scopes with a great warranty.

til later

Default thanks

to all for good the input. i will continue my search and comparison quest and let you know when i decide to pull the trigger (pardon the pun)

if anyone else has any good input, please post!

Thumbs up just to follow-up,

i found a new Leupold VX-II on ebay and ended up the high bidder...i was shocked i won the auction...my winning bid was 21% lower than anywhere else i could find on-line and it is being shipped to AK for free

thanks again for the input!

CONGRATS! You did GOOD!

til later