Thread: Jordan's New Rifle

Default Jordan's New Rifle

Here is Jordan's (my grandson) new rifle a Ruger Mk II 22-250 with a Buckmaster scope. A friend of mine here in Picayune gave this to me for Jordan. I am trading my 375Wby for a 257Wby Accumark and Leupold VXIII because Africa is out and even my job at this point. So I will give this 257Accumark to Jordan when he is 14yrs old if he learns to shoot and reload this 22-250 (and I have no doubt he will).

I will let him use my 22-250 load for the rest of this deer season which is a 53gr TSX in front of 39gr H380 and it will drop the deer we have in South Mississippi with no trouble at all. I will have him keep his shots with in 75-100yds until his strength and skill improve and he can prove to me he can hit past 100yds with consistency.

Here is a picture of his rifle and the round he will be using. I called his mother this morning and told her to tell him since she teaches in the school system he is in and she called back and said he was very excited. He and I will hunt with this over the Christmas holiday's.

THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up

Sharp looking rifle there! I'm sure he will be just a LITTLE excited to be carrying the rifle Grandpa gave him. I'm still hunting with the Remington 721 in 30.06 my dad gave me when I was 16. It probably isn't worth $200, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Nice

Sorry to hear about your trip and job, but at least Jordan will have a great Christmas hunting with Granddad. Best of luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your trip and job, but at least Jordan will have a great Christmas hunting with Granddad. Best of luck.
    Yes, this Christmas time with him camping out and hunting will be a ball and will be such a good memory as I will recall from time to time the joy, smiles and excitement on Jordan's face as we have are adventure together.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Neato picture of the cartridge. How are you setting up for the photo-op?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Neato picture of the cartridge. How are you setting up for the photo-op?
    I use a slightly reflective black back ground and shoot with florescent lights above and behind the subject at 45 degrees with regular room lighting while using a flash and Macro setting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Best wishes for a good hunt. The most valuable thing you can give your grandson is.....your time - as you are doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Best wishes for a good hunt. The most valuable thing you can give your grandson is.....your time - as you are doing.

Hey shphtr, great picture there and one fine I mean fine sheep and it looks like there was some fine fellowship going as well on that hunt.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth, just curious, how old is your grandson Jordan? I have a grandson also that I would love to get started into shooting. He is in another state but we visit quite a bit. He is only six and I have him shooting a BB gun for the basics, and his two older sisters. Would really like to get all three into shooting???? Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Beartooth, just curious, how old is your grandson Jordan? I have a grandson also that I would love to get started into shooting. He is in another state but we visit quite a bit. He is only six and I have him shooting a BB gun for the basics, and his two older sisters. Would really like to get all three into shooting???? Thanks, Mark
    My grandson Jordan is 10 1/2 years old and has been with me in the woods on hunts since he was 4 yrs old. When he was little he would actually fall asleep in my arms all wrapped up in a little blanket I would bring in my back pack.

There were times that if game came by I would let them go by because I was not going to wake him up or scare him with a shot and I loved every minute of it. Lost a lot of deer but had a ball with that little man. He carried a little play double barrel rife that had bullets with primers in them that were fancy caps and you could not tell him then that his gun was not real, you would have an argument on your hands if you tried. He would sit down and clean his little double barrel every time I cleaned my rifles, he was to cute.

When he was 7yrs old he started carrying a single shot 410 and I taught him first to kill squirrels. Then started using slugs and he killed his first deer when he was 8 1/2yrs old.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Grandsons

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    My grandson Jordan is 10 1/2 years old and has been with me in the woods on hunts since he was 4 yrs old. When he was little he would actually fall asleep in my arms all wrapped up in a little blanket I would bring in my back pack.

There were times that if game came by I would let them go by because I was not going to wake him up or scare him with a shot and I loved every minute of it. Lost a lot of deer but had a ball with that little man. He carried a little play double barrel rife that had bullets with primers in them that were fancy caps and you could not tell him then that his gun was not real, you would have an argument on your hands if you tried. He would sit down and clean his little double barrel every time I cleaned my rifles, he was to cute.

When he was 7yrs old he started carrying a single shot 410 and I taught him first to kill squirrels. Then started using slugs and he killed his first deer when he was 8 1/2yrs old.
    Thanks alot Beartooth for the reply, I am going to get our grandkids more into the shooting, hunting world. Their father, my stepson, teaches at a college in Ohio and can't get off in the fall. We really want to go sheep hunting and that is moving up on our list. Keep up the good work, Mark