Thread: New to the sport

Smile New to the sport

I just decided to learn to shoot after i walked into the Archer's Den in Eagle River. I walked in and talked to a friendly fellow named paul. well im pretty sure his name was paul anyway. After talking to him for a few he asked if i wanted to try one out. A recuve, not sure what kind. Had a 35 pound draw weight. WELL.... i was only supposed to "drop buy" and i ended up staying for about 4hrs.. Now im just looking for a little advice. I want to buy a bow thats my size and not to huge in the pocket book. Im not a small i guess. About 6'4 and 190. well if any ones got some advice that would be welcome.

Default Archers Den

Paul is the owner of the shop. He is very friendly, very knowledable, and has unbelievable customer service. He will definately take good care of you. I am not sure which brands of recurves that he carries, but I have a Martin X-200 that I have been happy with. It is an AMO length of 60" and a draw weight of 40lbs. I think it was around 200 dollars. There are a few companies that have fairly inexpensive entry level bows. Good luck, and have fun shopping.

Jake

Thanks thats good to know. The only thing is that i want to be able to hunt with the bow after i get alot of pratice. What draw weight should i be looking at? And length? Or does draw length not matter with recurves? Whats AMO length? sry...just have alot of Q's.

Default amo

AMO is the length of the bow, from tip to tip. For a hunting weight, I would go with at least 50lbs, depending on what you are hunting. One thing you could do is buy a take down bow with 35 or 40lb limbs to start with. Once you have gotten comfortable with them, you can get a new set of limbs in a heavier weight to hunt with.

Jake

Jake Is on the money.

I am planing on spending some time at the Den tomarow since I need to watch Gunther on Friday and wont be at the 3D shoot.(sorry guys but the kid comes first) If you'd like I have several bows you could try In different poundage's, lengths and styles. Just send me a PM and I'll pack a few extras to play with.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.