Thread: "J-Hook/Otter Sled"

Default "J-Hook/Otter Sled"

Fellas I may have asked this once befor and forgot.

But I got a "J-hook" hitch on my sled, and my new Otter Sled, isn't designed to hook up to J-hook, matter fact looks to be able to hook up to a falpper hitch.

Well I like the strenght of my "J-Hook" but can't find any any after market hardware for my Otter Sled, tha will accomidate the "J-Hook".

Do you other guys do something else?

One thing I looked at doing was removing the current connector on the OS and replacing it with a large eye bolt from AIH.

Any tips or suggestions?

That's funny, my otter sled came with a j-hook or pintle style hitch. Your idea of making your own with an eye bolt is very common as well, not a bad idea. Make sure to use springs with the eye bolt so there is shock absorbsion both directions.

Man I wish mine would have, heck Otter doesn't even offer one for sale.

Which Otter sled do you have, I have a few different hitch set ups and currently only the flapper hitch on my sled.

I made a device that convert from the flapper to a j-hook out a peace of flat metal.

I've hauled a lot of stuff over the years with a flapper hitch. I tried a pintle hook once. It made it 5 miles from Deshka Landing and the pintle broke. I had to use a padlock as a clevis and hooked the eye bolt to my old flapper. It worked great. I wouldn't give you a nickel for another pintle hook. My heavy haulers use a 2" ball hitch.

To the original question, an eye bolt from AIH will work perfectly. Just make sure it'll fit onto your pintle (eye size) and that the bolt shaft is correctly sized in the yoke fitting (not too much play). A couple of valve springs from NAPA for cushion and you're set.

Default not a very costly fix

I had the same problem when I bought a Otter sled. I went down to Fire Fasteners and got a short shank eye bolt that had around a 1 to 1 1/4 in eye. Put it between the flapper on the hitch and welded it down. Used all the otter set up so just a bolt and some weld. Has held up great and no issues with cracking out or breaking. Just my two cents.

Default Hitch

Let me know if you want to trade something for this? I'm near Eagle River.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Fellas I may have asked this once befor and forgot.

One thing I looked at doing was removing the current connector on the OS and replacing it with a large eye bolt from AIH.

Any tips or suggestions?
    That is exactly what I did with my otter sled. It works good I don't have any pics of it or I would post them for you.

It was very easy to do. You shouldn't have any problem figuring out how to convert it.

I just (this morning) replaced the flapper hitch on my machine and sled with a pintle style. Should be a lot easier to hook up and unhook, especially when you're stuck. That's the only reason I'm switching over. Sounds good, but I haven't used it yet to confirm that.

The springs I used are a little soft, but that's what I had around the garage. I will upgrade them if they're not up to the task. And the eye bolt is a bit long, will put more leverage on the front of the tongue. I'll see how it holds up.

click on pictures for fullsize view

Default Pintle hitches

To me the only way to go. If you use your sled alot, throw the whole otter hitch away and build a new one. I bolted square stock in the sides and connected my hitch to that. Those sleds will not last with continued use with what they have. My recommendation is if you want this sled to last longer than a season is to buy a piece of UMHW for the bottom as reinforcement. Since I am on my 4th sled now, just a few little things to make them last a long time.

To the original question, an eye bolt from AIH will work perfectly. Just make sure it'll fit onto your pintle (eye size) and that the bolt shaft is correctly sized in the yoke fitting (not too much play). A couple of valve springs from NAPA for cushion and you're set.
    Thats what my plan is so far, kinda akin to what kgrant has pictured. (Thanks for the pics)

Northway, I probably won't use mine as much or as hard as you do, but I'm interested in your fixes.

Now I have seen pics of sleds with the square tubing running the entire length of th sled sides and bolted to the sides, and then attched to the hitch. Is this the same method your refering too?

And how to you secure the UMHW to the bottom of your sled? With the same scres used to secure the runners?

Thanks, a ton for the help and advice fellas,

Default Waterwolf

WW,

I run two pieces of square stock along both side of the sled. Bolting it in about 4 places. I extend both square stock past the front so I bolt my tow bar right to the square stock. That way you are pulling on the square stock and not the plastic where they want you to hook up the tongue.

This is a fix for me. I am only doing this because i don't have my siglin type sleds built this winter. I have a 24" wide piece (that is the width of the bottom of the sled) and however long it is. Make sure you have enough to run up the curve in the front. I am going to get longer screws if needed to run through the runner, ptex, and then through the sled. The sled will last MUCH longer if you do this. I can't even make one sled last more than 2 months without reinforcement. Yes I use it every weekend for about 100 miles and I am carrying at least 100 pound in it at most time. I have to have a sled that will not break. The otter's alone are not going to last, especially as the temperatures get colder.

Default Easy Made Flapper Hitch

Looks like most of you like the pintle hitches but I thought I would share this. It has worked well for me and cost about $20. I purchased the biggest baddest hinge I could find at SBS. Didn't need to but I had a buddy with a welding machine add a little material to it and fill in the bolt holes not needed. Rounded off the corners w/ a grinder and painted. Bolted it to the bumper with u-bolts. I reinforced my tunnel extension with some diamond plate aluminum. I've fought many hitches in the past and been very PO'd out on the trail. Going two years strong with this one and have hauled some heavy loads on some nasty trails..... Just and idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images