Thread: Scopes for #@$% weather?

Default Scopes for #@$% weather?

I know that ther have been a few What scope? threads, but i am interested in scopes for the worst conditions. I have used bushnell elite and found rainguard to be everything bushnell advertise. ( rare these days) Snow in the lens freezing fog, etc you can always see clearly. I look through leupold or nikon and they may have better glass, I'm not sure. But for you guys who use them in endless rain, snow, fog etc. What stands up and who has the best lens coatings?

I use Leupold and never had a problem. I don't know about rain guard but do know I do not like bushnell quality. The one bushnell I did have fogged on me and I have not had another. It was 30 years ago but once bitten.... Leupold also have better lens. Just MO. J.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    I know that ther have been a few What scope? threads, but i am interested in scopes for the worst conditions. I have used bushnell elite and found rainguard to be everything bushnell advertise. ( rare these days) Snow in the lens freezing fog, etc you can always see clearly. I look through leupold or nikon and they may have better glass, I'm not sure. But for you guys who use them in endless rain, snow, fog etc. What stands up and who has the best lens coatings?

always i come back to those elites for cold weather espessally.... i love them and the Firefly's are my favorite... they have NEVER fogged or frosted. and hold zero well on my 300 and 338, 223,270, and 243,,,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've accumulated quite a few scopes over my years of hunting up here, and I own several different brand names...a couple are embarassingly expensive from Europe (anniversary gifts).

However, most of my scopes have the same brand name and model...Leupold VX-III. They are first and foremost the most rugged and reliable scopes I own...never once a problem with any of them year after year...and I spend lots of time in the field hunting up here. By comparison one of my Austrian speaking scopes has racked-up some frequent flyer miles to the east coast for problems. The glass in the VX-III's is good enough to be called good (my snobby European ones are noticeably better). All of my scopes are internally fog-proof, and they all have see-thru flip-up lense covers that are usually in the closed position until game time, which keeps the snow off of the lense and most of the rain.

Doc

Default Leopold scopes

For all around hunting rifles Leopold VXIIIs and FXIIIs are what I use. They are American made, excellent customer service (although in 30 years I've never needed it) reasonably priced, lightweight, have great eye relief, optical quality is decent, they are about as wx proof as you can get. I have never had a Leopold scope fail me in the field. Now for tactical, benchrest, or dedicated varmint (more stationary) pursuits I prefer Nightforce (they are too heavy for general hunting, IMO).

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

i agree with the former writers on the quality of american made leupold scopes. the vxlll (or vari-xlll) models are in my opinion genuinely world class. the customer service is even better than that!

low power scopes are often overlooked, and large and heavy models are purchased instead. using the military as an example.....low power scopes are great for even extended range. the m8 in 2-3-or 4 power models are some of the very lightest and most rugged of all. as a sight (not viewing device) they can't be beat.

put a lightweight, low power scope on your rifle....sight in for the range you intend to shoot, and you will be rewarded in the field!

happy trails.
    jh

Sub zero temps and soaking wet hunts, havent had a Leupy fail on me yet. Most my rifles wear VX-III's but have owned VX-II's and even my sons rifle wears a VX-I. Lots of good scopes out there these days but few that offer what Leupolds do, so thats what I use. The brightness of the glass is not a big selling point for me since i dont hunt dusk and dawn whitetails in the midwest. Durability, lots of eye relief, a big eye box,lightweight, and FOV are things that matter a lot to me when selecting a rifle scope, in those categories nothing matches Leupolds that cost less than $1000 dollars.

I have always heard good things about Leupold and have been very happy with my VX-II. The glass was not as nice as our Ziess levels at work but more then good. My only compliant was a need to be very curfull that I did not breath on the eye piece, or it would fog. The fog would clear relatively quickly but it would take a few seconds.

This fall I borrowed a moose rifle which had a Bushnell 3200 Elite. Its optics about as good as my VX-II or maybe a little better. However, I could not make it fog no mater what I did. The last day of moose season in Fairbanks it was so fogy you were luck to see 50 feet. The scope never fogged up once even when I intentionally breath on it.

My next scope will Definatly be a Bushnell.

And the Lord opened up the heavens and much rain fell unto the earth.

The hunters of the valley wailed in lamentation that their boots were covered asunder.

Then the heavens smote down upon the hapless hunters with frost, and freezing rain, making mist of all optics.

The hunters of the valley threw off their scopes and squinted through their iron sights, yet all was far away and none could see clearly.

As the heavens cast heavy snow about them, the hunters they turned away from their faith as outdoorsmen and took on the ways of sinful city folk.

And the Lord being mindful of their plight, brought forth the Leupold so that the hunters of the valley would return to their true path,

And all was well in the hunting fields….

Brother Maynard
    from the Holy Book of Armaments

x
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The Leupold 2.5 x 8 or 3 x 9 compact (now called Ultralite or something like that) are my go to scopes. I own Zeiss, Swarovski, Nightforce, and Kahles scopes and they are nice, heavy, and with good glass but for Alaskan tough hunting my 1st choice based on several decades of backpack hunting is....Leupold, the one that gives me a secure and confident comfort zone. That being said, nothing is 100%.

I'm dependant of Leupold, probably why all my rifles have one on top.

Stay away from Zeiss as they don't have any kind of moisture guard on the lenses. (atleast they didn't as of two years ago) I used to work at a small sporting goods store that was fairly quiet in the evenings so we would manufacture things to do. One of the things we did was a scope torture test of sorts and the Bushnell elite's always won the moisture contest. Now these were about as far away from scientific test as you can get as there was no control or anything so take it for what it is. To see for yourself you can do a simple test on a scope. Just breathe a heavy hot breath on a scope lense and see how long it takes for the fog to go away. I'll bet you'll find that the Bushnell Elite's destroy the Leupolds and others. I say this and I only have Leupolds and the one Zeiss. If I was buying today I would take a strong look at the new Bushnell 6200's.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    ...This fall I borrowed a moose rifle which had a Bushnell 3200 Elite. Its optics about as good as my VX-II or maybe a little better. However, I could not make it fog no mater what I did. The last day of moose season in Fairbanks it was so fogy you were luck to see 50 feet. The scope never fogged up once even when I intentionally breath on it...
    I just brought up Rainguard on another post. I've got a Bushnell Elite 4200 and also a 3200. The clarity is very good. Some of the best hunting tends to be in the worst conditions. In those worst conditions the Bushnell Elite is very hard to beat because of Rainguard.

I've had a few fancy/$$$(Euro) scopes. But these days I only own Leupold, with the Vx11 2-7x33 wide duplex being my pet.

Default Leupold

There is only one , isn't there ?

Default Foul Weather Scope

I grew up with a 7x57 mauser custom made with FN action, Johnson barrel, etc and topped with 1.5x Leupold scope. It was my only rifle, so it was used for rabbits as well as deer and elk. Never ever lost a sight picture, it was always clear, low power made target acquisition a snap. Hunted in Oregon coast, very wet conditions, no loss of clarity. Hunted in Cascade mountains, snow conditions-no problems. Initial sighting in with this combo lasted over 20 years, no adjustments necessary in that time, a testimony to the quality of the rifle build as well as to the durability of the Leupold. Sadly, the rifle was stolen.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Leupold Vari-X III or VX-III and up are the best IMO.