Thread: Favorite 45ACP Powders

Question Favorite 45ACP Powders

After searching in vain for bulk 45ACP I ordered dies. I have a huge pile of once fired ACP and just (back)ordered some of the Rainer Leadsafe RN 230gr. I don't know what powder to get and I am looking for your favorites. It would be a plus if I could also use it for 45colt or 454, but it is not required. So lets hear the opinions...

Greetings TN...

I'm relatively new to loading the 45ACP, but I have loaded over 500 rounds of it. The powder I've been using is AA#5. It's a spherical powder that meters well through the powder bar of my Dillon.

I use W296 in my 454 and 44.

Good luck with it.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Greetings TN...

I'm relatively new to loading the 45ACP, but I have loaded over 500 rounds of it. The powder I've been using is AA#5. It's a spherical powder that meters well through the powder bar of my Dillon.

I use W296 in my 454 and 44.

Good luck with it.

Doc
    Thanks Doc!

I've burned a lot of Win 231 in my .45 ACP's.

There are lots of good powders for the .45 ACP. I've had good luck with all of these:

Bullseye
    W231
    HP38
    Titegroup
    AA #5
    Unique
    Red Dot
    700x

Default Bullseye!

Bullseye is my choice. It takes so little per round that a pound lasts a very long time! Only caution is watch out for double loading with powders like Bullseye since the case will hold enough for 5 or 6 rounds, you would never know by looking that one is doubled up.

If in doubt . . . dump it out, and recharge it.

Andy

Chalk up another for good old WW231. Alliant Power Pistol for the hotter loads.

Default 45 ACP powder

W231 for me also. I use it in all my pistol loads, except for hot 45 colt loads, then its H110.

Jake

It's hard to go wrong with 231, but my favorites are Clays (for light plinkers) and Power Pistol (for full power loads). Basically any of the fast burning pistol powders will work. Unique and 231 are probably the most common, but they are a little dirty.

Mike

Default Powder

I prefer AA #5, it's not as dirty 231 and is usable in the 45 LC. The 454 however needs a slower burning powder.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default If you only had Bullseye

for the 45 acp, you'd be fine. It's the classic powder for that caliber.

Wink Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am making a list (checking it twice and gonna find out whats left in stock...

I know that was baaaad.

To expound on my post and hopefully avoid going off on a tangent, I use only 3 pistol powders (WW231, H110, and APP) for 4 calibers (38Spl, 357Mag, 45ACP and 45Colt) target and full power loads. And I could probably do without the APP.

WW231 works well for my 38Spl, 45ACP, and 45Colt target loads; H110 works well for my 357Mag and hotter 45Colt rounds. APP for hotter 45ACP and the others if I remember correctly.

How this relates to the thread is that if you're only ever going to load 45ACP, I think any of the recommendations from folks here would be fine. But if you currently load or will be loading for other rounds, check a wide variety of loading data from different sources for the rounds you're likely to shoot to see what powders can provide a decent range of loads for your entire arsenal.

I'm not that experienced and know that your preferences will probably change over time, but when I started into reloading, that's how my mentor encouraged me to start and it has worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    W231 for me also. I use it in all my pistol loads, except for hot 45 colt loads, then its H110.

Jake

i would pick titegroup as my #1 powder for my .38 .45 and my .40!

Default To finish the thread...

Just to let you know... Even down here in the lower 48 reloading supplies are scarce. I ended up with Bullseye and 500 WLP primers, the last WLP primers they had. Only 1lb of Bullseye left on the shelf. They still had 2-8lb jugs of Clays and several 1lb jugs of assorted rifle powders. NO bullets, no small rifle primers (223).

This was a Big Bass Pro near Charlotte. You wouldn't think there would be that many reloaders here...

Unique
    Herco
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Uniersal clays is my choice for 45 acp and would work well for light loads in the 45colt and 454. W231 would be my second choice and would also work for light loads in all. For serious loads in the 45colt or the 454, H110 or W296 are the powders most use.

I've tried several and Universal Clays seems to work the best for me. Very clean and easy to meter.

W-231 for me! Been using it for almost 20 years!

5.8gr 231, ANY standard Large Pistol primer, and an H&G #68 style Hardcast 200gr Semi wadcutter...

I have loaded and fired THOUSANDS of these over the years fro all my .45ACP weapons and use the same load in the .45 Auto Rim for my S&W too......

# 5 for me and my dad; loaded thousand or better on the dillion machine.

KRS