Thread: Where are the Ptarmigan/Spruce Grouse

Exclamation Where are the Ptarmigan/Spruce Grouse

All-

I'm looking to get my pup exciting about wild birds and would like to know where to find them around Anchorage. I got a copy of the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game's guide to Ptarmigan and Grouse, but they're not too awfully specific about the more recent sightings/whereabouts. I've also looked into the Anchorage Audubon Society and there haven't been any recent sightings of those gamebirds. Any thoughts?

Default SE AK birds

I run into Tarmagain in the alpine here on Baranof island sometimes. Trouble is.......that after climbing for hours to get there I'm not about to start blasting away and scaring all the deer out of the area. It would be fun though to do a preseason alpine assault and get some camp supplies up the mountain and blast a few birds.

There are Grouse on the islands too. I've heard em on Kuiu and Shot one Grouse on Etolin.

Thats where I've encountered em in SE AK. Its an interesting experience letting your cherished bird dog run the brush in Brown Bear country.

Congrats are your new pup. Depending on tghe age of your pup....you might want to start with some wings first. You can use a fishing pole to dance the wings around to kick in there prey drive. Makes for lots of fun.

If your pup is 4 months and up. You definitely should introduce them to live birds. BUT.....if you are going to shoot. Make sure you have done your homework in introducing gunfire first. Or you might create one messed up puppy.

There are lots of little areas to find birds around Anchorage. The hillside area has lots of trails that lead into the Chugach mountain areas. Ft Richardson (once you have the permit) has lots of wooded areas. There are trails along Beach Lake Rd and around Eklutna Lake. Lots of trails up in the Matsu area as well.

Just pick up an outdoor recreation map. Pick a public trail and go try it out.
    Sorry I can't be more specific, but a lot of bird hunters will stay hush-hush on our sweet spots.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Shhhhhhh..

thanks for not telling him about the other place.....you know .... NoWhere.
    I have to get out there. I agree. The best way I found to train for grouse and spruce hens is to use a carcass sewn up after they are breasted out.

www.alaskadognews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    Congrats are your new pup. Depending on tghe age of your pup....you might want to start with some wings first. You can use a fishing pole to dance the wings around to kick in there prey drive. Makes for lots of fun.

If your pup is 4 months and up. You definitely should introduce them to live birds. BUT.....if you are going to shoot. Make sure you have done your homework in introducing gunfire first. Or you might create one messed up puppy.

There are lots of little areas to find birds around Anchorage. The hillside area has lots of trails that lead into the Chugach mountain areas. Ft Richardson (once you have the permit) has lots of wooded areas. There are trails along Beach Lake Rd and around Eklutna Lake. Lots of trails up in the Matsu area as well.

Just pick up an outdoor recreation map. Pick a public trail and go try it out.
    Sorry I can't be more specific, but a lot of bird hunters will stay hush-hush on our sweet spots.
    Be aware that all of the area around Eklutna lake is bow hunting only. There is no hunting along the Beach lake road, even with a bow.