Thread: Good/Bad/Ugly Arctic Cat 550

Question Good/Bad/Ugly Arctic Cat 550

Found a sweet deal on a new 550 from AC, manual shift. What is the word on these machines???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

You got 2 right "Bad/Ugly" Who comes up with the design
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Auto only

The new 550 is cvt auto only. It looks to be a good strong ATV. Fuel injected, suspension changes, lower seat by one inch. All are improvements over older designs. The 550 has almost the same power of the 650 H1 but with fuel injection. I have a 500 manual shift Suzuki power and I like it, so far its been a good Atv. I hear Arctic cat is coming out with a new 730 H1. I like Arctic Cat they are an American company with great ideas and designs.

I haven't heard of it until now (I'm in sno-go mode right now).. EFI and lower ride height would be two improvements over the current 500 AC. A trip to the AC website shows it only available with an auto trans. The AC auto trans on my 500 has been bulletproof for me and I've absolutely pounded my machine.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I am looking at a *new* 2008, not the 2009. The seat height was a problem in the past? Knocked you off the center of gravity or something like that? This is suppose to be the manual shift, not an automatic...about 50 pounds lighter. Shaft drive, 4 wheel disc brakes, high ground clearance...great towing rating...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I am looking at a *new* 2008, not the 2009. The seat height was a problem in the past? Knocked you off the center of gravity or something like that? This is suppose to be the manual shift, not an automatic...about 50 pounds lighter. Shaft drive, 4 wheel disc brakes, high ground clearance...great towing rating...
    Like others are saying...after looking at the Arctic Cat Web Site, I only see the AC 550 offered with the "Automatic CVT w/EBS, Hi/Lo Range and Reverse". Here is the link:http://www.arctic-cat.com/atv/dirt.a...model=550H1EFI.

I even took a look at their "Past Models" listed on the web site...The 550 is not listed for any other year. That includes years from 2004 - 2008. Here is the link: http://www.arctic-cat.com/atv/pastModels.asp.

Can you please post a link for the quad you are referring to?
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I am going to go back to the shop today...maybe this is a 500 and not the 550 that I was told? Not sure. I may head in to Los Anchorage today to see what other *good deal* comes along...but it will be hard to beat a 2008 new wheeler @ MSRP and a free winch and snow plow plow thrown it. Anyone heard of anything better out there? I am not brand motivated...just want something to plow the driveway with and do some modest 4 wheeling...utility over sport.

It has to be a 500. There really isn't an issue with the height for me. I've taken mine some pretty gnarly places without a problem. However, if you can lower the center of gravity and maintain ground clearance, that has to be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    The seat height was a problem in the past? Knocked you off the center of gravity or something like that?
    Last year a guy posted a video of him/his partner riding a descent trail and the guy on the A/C rode over some roots and flipped arse over heels. They do look a little high and top heavy. Seems like the A/C's are loaded with features; heard good & bad about them. Never rode one though. Must beat my '84 Big Red though!

Tim

Last year a guy posted a video of him/his partner riding a descent trail and the guy on the A/C rode over some roots and flipped arse over heels. They do look a little high and top heavy
    Mine hasn't been on it's top yet. I don't shy from any trail (or non-trail)

I've got an 07 AC 500 , it has not found it top either,.....

I love my machine but I do feel like there's alot of body sway when loaded.

with that being said, I was channel surfing the other day and caught the end of off road TV and they were testing the rollover point for the top brand atvs, I was happily surprised that the Cat did best, I believe it's rollover point was about 40 degrees with just rider and 34 with rider and 100 lbs, all others were in the low 30s high 20s...........

Looks like Cat to me