Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical Handgun vs. bear

Default Practical Handgun vs. bear

As the title suggests, I'm in the market for a handgun, but not just any gun. I want a gun that's easy to carry, revolves, and launches good sized chunks of metal... all without breaking the bank.

Suggestions?

Exclamation whatever you get....

remember to file off the front sight.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default practical bear gun

One question, how much is not too much money for you to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I also prefer a shorter barrel for the same reason!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post

Why file off the front sight? Thanks
    Brad S

It depends on what you are comfortable with. Most people say don't go smaller then a .44 mag. I cary a taurus .44 mag that I got for around $340 new. I got it because it fit my hand well and was fairly inexpensive. However I can shoot $100 of ammo through it in 3 or 4 shooting easy. so over all I have spent way more on ammo then the gun its self. But I think that is about the cheapest you will get for bear hand guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    Why file off the front sight? Thanks
    It hurts less when the bear shoves it where the sun don't shine.

my sidearm of choice right now is a Freedom Arms .454 - pretty plentiful on the open market now that alot of people are upgrading to the .500 Smith

if money is no object.. the .500 Smith is more gun for less felt recoil (easier to control)

Ive never had much of a problem with the .454 tho.. I do handload my own hot 340g loads too.

works good on deer that are close too
    The original point-and-click interface was a Smith and Wesson

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i keep a .44 desert eagle in the tent for when i am sleeping.. i don't carry one around.... i don't care for revolvers as bear protection... might use them all up and forget to save one for me...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking Boy, i love it when i get a bite!!

you file the front sight off....

so it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your @$%!

This topic really, Really, REALLY to be given a "stickey"....Isn't this the 1,243 time this same question has garnered it's own thread?????

To keep it (somewhat) on topic, the best bear for bear protection is a .22....

Bear gets to close for comfort...***POW!!!*** Hit your partner (or nearest likely target) right in the knee, and haul arse......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I really don't want to spend over $500. I was looking at Taurus as well. They seem fairly cheap. I really just don't know what I'm looking at in a good sidearm. I guess I'll just save a few dollars, strap my rifle onto my back and carry my 12 gauge.

How does the 45 colt perform when matched against a 44 mag?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    To keep it (somewhat) on topic, the best bear for bear protection is a .22....

Bear gets to close for comfort...***POW!!!*** Hit your partner (or nearest likely target) right in the knee, and haul arse......
    Now that was good! Are you from NY too?

Exclamation

if you are carrying a rifle why in the world would you carry a shotgun too?
    seriously... carry a .338 or .300 mag class rifle and don't worry about bears, let them worry about you.

You can get a nice Ruger single action in 44 or 45 for less money than you have to spend.Buy a good used gun and spend the rest on ammo and pratice.

Spend the money on a S+W 460 5", you can shoot three calibres and drop whatever you want. Comfortable to shoot and carry in a Diamond D guide holster. Just my 2 cents.

Default NOW you've opened up a can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by lowxposure View Post
    I really don't want to spend over $500. ....
    Here is a quick summary of what I have learned reading many many threads.

How does the 45 colt perform when matched against a 44 mag?
    While the 44 Remington Magnum can carry more energy than the 45 Colt, the 45 throws a bigger bullet with substantially more frontal area.

For defensive use on dangerous game, generally you want deep penetration to do one of two things.

Break a major bone so the bear cannot run faster than you can.

Disrupt the central nervous system (Brain shot or spine) for instant paralysis or death.

Both are difficult shots to make on a bear charging you.

Shooting before you know the bear is not making a bluff charge is generally inadvisable, because you will wind up with a mountain of paperwork if you don't have a bear tag (and you don't get to keep the bear) or a difficult tracking job.

Some folks prefer bear repellant spray as less trouble (and some opine that it is more effective). But that is a choice for you, not a recommendation from me.

Back to the 45/44 question. diameter of diameter of .451/.452/.454 vs diameter of .429/.430 is an upgrade of 10.5% in frontal area. The 44 mag has almost twice the energy of the 45 Colt, yet some claim (with evidence to back them up) that the 45 is a better bear stopper. Note that if you are carrying a Ruger or other similarly strong 45 Colt, you can handload to near 44 mag power levels.

Personally, I found I could afford a 454 Casull, but my shooting buddy keeps a 500 S&W for bear defense.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

Better than the handgun choice is prevention. Don't surprise any bears and you are very likely not to have any unpleasantness. Study their behaviour, psychology and terrain. Make noise. Give ground but don't run.

I prefer the 45. I have Rugers, so I can push bigger amounts of lead at higher speeds than 44s. I also have 44s and 454. I think 460 is next on list. I like them all. Some just fit what I am wearing at any given time better than others.

Love my S&W 460V and feel the only better round would be the S&W 500. But if by Practical Handgun for bear you are looking for low price the S&W X frame guns, at over a grand they would likely be out. So with price factored in .45 long colt in a heavy single action would be hard to beat. If you look around you may get lucky find a .454 for $600 or $700 after the Obummer fear subsides some. They don't make an auto that I would pack in bear country, just not enough power to trust my life to.

If you can swing the S&W X gun you get the best there is and a great hunting handgun also.

Andy

Default The .45 colt matched against the .44 mag

preforms pretty dam good...Many like myself prefer it..
    http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast