Thread: M77 Mk 2 Bolts

Default M77 Mk 2 Bolts

i read somewhere on here that Ruger has new bolt action rifles that are controlled feed... does anyone know if they (the bolts) are interchangeable with the M77 Mk 2's? I cant get an answer from Ruger, i bet they just want me to buy a new rifle.

thanks
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

The M77 MkII is a control round feed design. However, early versions of the action had a fully shrouded bolt head so while they did have a claw extractor, they were not a controlled feed action. But, the bolt head can be modified to allow a control round feed.

ok maybe i am misunderstanding what a controlled feed is, i am assuming (i know, i know) and thought that the bolt would grab the round from the mag well and hold onto the round as it is pushed into the chamber. On my rifle, i havent used it in a long time but from what i remember, as soon as the bolt pushes the round free of the mag well the round just freely moves about and if the rifle is pointing down and rotated to the left a little bit the round will fall into the chamber on its own.

is this the wrong idea?

i bought the rifle new in the mid to late 90's i dont remember when exactly i want to say 96 or 97.
    Last edited by akula682; 12-09-2008 at 22:45. Reason: age of the rifle
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I'm guessing that was one of the early mk II's that didn't have the bolt head machined for controlled round feed. I picked up a used mk II .308 in the early 90's, and it didn't have the fully machined bolt head. If you are really, really careful you can machine off the bottom of the bolt head with a moto tool and a grinding disk. But, a competent gunsmith can also do the job in a mill and he charges more than $50 he's ripping you off.

The original M-77 Rugers were a push feed with a claw extractor. They had a Mauser type appearence to those who did not know any better. They also have a Remington type plunger ejector inside the bolt face.

My newer M-77MKII is a controlled feed with the ejector mounted inside the action (not in the bolt release like a real Mauser).

Pics on this thread
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=41698
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com