Thread: Dm 896

Default Dm 896

hello all,

just curious does anyone have any experience with the DM 896 hunt?

upstream of Hughes on the Koyukuk is where I'm interested in hearing about.

thanks in advance...

What would you like to know?
    Tennessee

Default info

I've read every post on the forum on the Koyukuk and except the posts on floating it I haven't found much on that upper portion (and they aren't very full of info). I did read all your posts Snowwolfe and they've given me a lot of valuable info already... but didn't know if your trips covered that area. Heck I don't even know where 3 day slough is, lots of references to it though.

I'm looking for water conditions that high up on the Koyukuk, feasibility of jet boat travel and moose density for that area (DM 896 is north of Hughes pretty much), I submitted for a drawing hunt there, knew it was on the Koyukuk but didn't look at a topo map until a week or two after, was more interested in the Delta sheep hunts and it was just an after thought. After looking at topo maps it looks really tight between the hills with maybe some high meadows? Another thing is I really don't want to travel up there and upset any of the locals, I'm just visiting and they live there...

and hey if you are still planning a trip up there next year I'd love to tag along as an extra boat... provided you guys would put up with me. I may be hunting solo and have a 20' hewescraft sportsman with an inboard 200 Optimax jet (I'll also be bringing a small inflatable zodiac onboard for emergency's and/or dragging up small trib's).

Default It's a long ride.

The first thing you need to consider if your planning on running a jet boat up from the bridge on the Yukon is that it's close to 800 miles one way just to get you to the point where your hunt would start. This in itself is one major undertaking logistically speaking. DM 896 starts (if your heading up the Koyukuk) about 250 miles past upper 3 day slough. If you were to draw this tag, you'd probably be better off flying in from Bettles and floating a section of the Koyukuk or a trib. in that area, or doing a drop camp. Get in contact with the wildlife biologist for that area to get an idea of where the best moose counts are and go from there. I don't know if Glenn Stout covers that far up or not but if so, he's out of Galena and can be easily reached.

Default thanks

ak trout,

thanks for bursting my bubble, lol...

ahh well thats what i get for putting the cart in front of the horse... guess i'll submit next year for one of the other tags and see about flying in this year (if i get the draw, maybe do a float from bettles to hughes).

thanks again
    B

This year the water was much shallower than in the past (according to the group I was with who hunted this area for 8 years). Still do able with a prop but it did require some care and the lead boats were stuck a couple of times.

There are many brands of boats that will be able to make it into these areas, that is not the issue. The issue is deck space. You are going to have to leave Galena with at least 300 gallons of gas on deck + all your supplies. That is 6 - 55 gallon drums or 10 - 30's. I used the 30's and they sucked. I spent way to much time changing out fuel fittings as you have to be able to do this as you are running. To do anything else just eats up way to much time.
    Others here have made the trip many more times than I have, but if you want to sit down some night after the holidays and watch a dvd we put together to get an idea of the terrain you will be hunting just drop me a pm.
    Tennessee