Thread: Building a strip groomer

Default Building a strip groomer

Hello,

I need to make a trail / strip groomer wondering if anyone has ideas or what works best?

I'm not concerned with grooming but I make an effort to pack the strip before day riders do their criss-cross stuff and the tracks set up. Most snowmachiners are pretty respectful of marked strips but some are, let's say, less than considerate.

Why would a guy purposely mow down strip markers? Or the reflective trail markers on the Su and Yentna? I've never understood that mentality.

Default chain link fence

I use a piece of 4' wide chain link fence to drag the river for skiers. I run a pipe through the front to pull against, otherwise your pull points get all stretched out. If I want it stiffer to take out dips, I can attach a couple of 2"x4" to each side longitudonally. If there is a lot of snow it creates a lot of drag for the machine though. But then I use an elan or something else without a lot of power.
    If you kneed to cut more hard pack off, you can add a couple of tires or long logs on top. Seems to work pretty well, and when I am done I can roll the whole thing up and stash it away.

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    Hello,

I need to make a trail / strip groomer wondering if anyone has ideas or what works best?
    I agree that riders who run over markers are not very thoughful nor have they ever broke trail or even more so paid $1.00 each for them. I do understand that sometimes it might be better to hit one than someone els, but at least put it back up broken or not. This has always been a proublem although should they ever get on the river at night, after fresh snow with a load or white out conditions they might understadn why they are there. I do feel that most riders understand there importance.

Default bed springs

we always use old bed springs. drag it up and down your strip a couple times with your snowmachine and let it set up. wont make it flat, but it makes it smooth and safe to land on....

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

What i do is to start with if its deep snow i use a snowmachine with a large otter sled with about 250 lbs in it. It packs the strip great and is easy to tow . in a few hours it get pretty hard. and you can use it then. after a day or two if you want then i use a groomer which is made from 2 by 6s 8 ft long and 4 ft wide it looks just like a wall with 2 ft centers the front and rear studs are streaght on edge and the rest have about a 20 degree angle. Im on a lake so it is pretty flat to begen with it works real well. But i use the sled first otherwise it is to hard to pull in soft snow The sled with weaght in it is great i can make the hole strip in about a hour and you are good to go. alot of time i dont even use the groomer. in snow from 6inches to two feet or more you dont even leve a snow machine track just sled tracks.