Thread: Single person pontoon boat

Default Single person pontoon boat

I am thinking of buying a single person pontoon boat. I am eyeing the 8 ft fish cat. Is this a decent boat? My main floats would be down the Chena and on the Gulkana. On the Gulkana will be from Sailors pit to the ridge.
    Thanks
    Ray

Default fish cat

The fish cats are much better than the 300$ boats that you get at sportsmans or wallmart IMO. If you want more industrial type pontoons then you really have to step up in price considerably and maybe go to a 10' model.

Do a search on here and you should find some history.

Default Step up to Fish Cat Cougar

Just my opinion but the 8ft will limit your over all options and weight carry capacity.

I understand you wish to float the Chena and Lower Gulkana both reasonable Class I rivers for the most part, but after selling and being in both if money is not a restriction look to upgrade to the Cougar you will not be disappointed.

Outcast also sells to Sportsmans warerhouse certain models however you do not get the 10 year no fualt warranty as you would from purchasing from AR&K, BMR in Fairbanks or directly from AIRE. If I were to put a bottom line to the product dollar value it goes back to the following formula:

Applaication, Warranty verse Cost.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/...aspx?series=12

Dave Scadden also sells single man patoons as well as Creek Company both are viable options however Scadden offers a better warranty IMO.

Best of luck in your choice. Feel free to stop into the shop and question us to no end information is alwasy free and I promise I will not send you out the door with a boat.

P.S.

Renting is an option in the Spring.

Richard Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting Sales & Outfitting
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Send a PM to drifter016 Dave bought a fish cat this year and loves it. he might be able to give you some insight on it. I run a 2 person cat so i cant say much. Dave is posting on a few threads about ice fishing and grayling in the fish thread to you can contact him there also
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Upgrade oar locks

If possible...I have a friend who brought a 9' Fish Cat on an Upper Kenai float to Jims this year and he could not keep the oar lock openings small enough to keep the oars in. Of course they popped out on corners all day and really frustrated him. The rest of the raft worked well, and he's a BIG dude. Like the others said though, don't plan on having much capacity left for more than a day trip.
    ...been on a search to top my 30x18 rainbow for 13 years now...I guess it's game time!!!
    13' Aire WildCat, 9' 7wt SAGE RPLXI, 10' 5wt SAGE XP, .300 RUM Zeiss 3x9 when all else fails

Thumbs up Decent Boat for the Buck

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Just my opinion but the 8ft will limit your over all options and weight carry capacity.

I understand you wish to float the Chena and Lower Gulkana both reasonable Class I rivers for the most part, but after selling and being in both if money is not a restriction look to upgrade to the Cougar you will not be disappointed.

Outcast also sells to Sportsmans warerhouse certain models however you do not get the 10 year no fualt warranty as you would from purchasing from AR&K, BMR in Fairbanks or directly from AIRE. If I were to put a bottom line to the product dollar value it goes back to the following formula:

Applaication, Warranty verse Cost.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/...aspx?series=12

Dave Scadden also sells single man patoons as well as Creek Company both are viable options however Scadden offers a better warranty IMO.

Best of luck in your choice. Feel free to stop into the shop and question us to no end information is alwasy free and I promise I will not send you out the door with a boat.

P.S.

Renting is an option in the Spring.

Richard Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting Sales & Outfitting
    www.bluemooserafting.com
    Moose is absolutely right about the 8 footer lacking the weight capacity and the warranty being shorter on the Sportsman's models. However, for the money, I have been totally happy with my Sportsman's 10. I had a bladder deflate a couple of years ago. I called Outcast and they sent me a new one within a week or so-- No problem... The difference between these boats and their more expensive counterparts is that these are made from less expensive materials (vinyl bladders and less bomber outer shells) and they're made in China. They do have a solid 5 year warranty, and if you're just getting into rafting or are only going to use it a few times a year, I would recommend it highly. I actually used the heck out of mine for a few seasons with no complaints. I did store it inflated in a heated garage at all times when not on the water, however. With the less expensive materials, I'm sure this will lengthen the life of the raft.

IMO You should always buy the best you can afford. Outcast has been great with information and support for both boats I now own. (One top of the line boat and one bottom of the line boat) but keep in mind, if you buy a better boat from ARK, or BMR, you will be buying a relationship with the dealer as well and I'm sure they'd be willing to stand behind the boats they sell and go to bat for you if necessary. At Sportsman's you're just a number and you will have to assume responsibility for any warranty claims yourself.

I've posted a couple of pics of my Sportsman's 10 below. I weigh 235 and you can see how little it squats in the water. I've got lots of capacity to spare for an overnight or long weekend trip.

One word of caution; once you get used to rowing yourself around on the rivers, you are just going to want something bigger and better. I upgraded to a PAC 1400 this year so I could take friends and family with me. If you can do it, I recommend getting into crochet, knitting, or needlework--much less expensive, you can do it in your living room, and you won't spend your whole winter posting to forums like these because you just can't wait to get that stupid raft back on the water!!!!

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default i like mine

I bought a PAC1000 last summer and have really enjoyed it. I didnt get to use it as often as I wanted to, but it was fun. I'm 6'4'' 230 pounds so I needed something with a little more wieght capacity. The only problem i have is it squats a bit in the rear becuase i have to have my seat positioned far back becuase my legs are too long. But it isnt a problem. It is a really tough boat. I've only floated the kenai(about 5 times) and portage once.

I think its going to last a long time. It is very tough. I still have it inflated incase I want to fish for some 'bows this winter.

Default Vinyl bladders in winter

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the reason the bladder deflated on my Sporstman's 10 was that it was too cold for the vinyl bladder. The more expensive boats have urethane bladders that are supposed to hold-up better to the cold. My bladder popped as we were unloading it from the truck. We didn't drop it or anything, the vinyl just became brittle in the cold. One of the other floaters in our group had the quad pontoon from Sportsman's (also made by outcast) and two of his bladders had developed holes before he got home. Needless to say, none of us floated that day. The models with vinyl bladders work great for spring, summer, fall, but don't plan on using them in the winter.

Griff, The PAC 1000 has the 14 mil urethane bladder. Be sure to let us know if you have any problems in the winter. Outcast assured me that the urethane will work fine in the cold.

I sure will. I would have 303'd it and packed it away for the winter if it didnt have the urethane bladders. I know i could be risking it, but I figure it would be worth it if I could get out and use it. The only time im going to move it during the winter is once it gets above freezing though. I've heard stories of bladders cracking in the cold too, so I'll be careful about that.

Default Urethane in the cold

I took my PAC 1400 out a few weeks ago with no problems. It was probably in 20's when we aired it up and the high that day couldn't have been much over 30. It snowed some but never got warm enough to turn to rain or slush. Much colder than that and I don't want to float/fish anyway!!!

Are there any fish to catch in Portage or was is just a nice float?

We just floated, it was one of the few hot and sunny days of the summer, unfortunately it was blowing really hard the second half of the river so we had to row downstream at times, lol. It was fun, I got a sun/windburn. I know silvers run up there but I haven't fished it. My father said he used to go there with lit bobbers and eggs for silvers in the 70's and caught a lot of fish. Around whenever the world series is. But thats all i know.