Thread: Alaskan Campers

Default Alaskan Campers

Dose anyone have first hand experience with Alaskan Campers?

Can you share pro’s / con’s etc…

http://alaskancamper.com/

Thx

You know Mrs.JamesMac isn't going to let you get another toy...

Please don’t say that!
    Your thread on “how to buy a gun without your wife knowing” really inspired me! Lot’s of great ideas – and I intend to use them

I get to tell her about the 480.

Ah - um - Dean……. That’s low man, so very low!!!

Besides I need the camper to keep my .480 warm and dry, right?

Work with me.....

Right, I forgot about keeping the camper warm, or was that keeping the 480 warm.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 12-10-2008 at 05:11. Reason: aded info

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Right, I forgot about keeping the camper warm, or was that keeping the 480 warm.
    How about the ak campers buddy?

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I'm not familiar with them.

I'm on my second one. I had a 10' non cabover(1958) and then i found this 10' cabover(1976). I liked them both but the cabover seems to work out better for us. Any questions just ask .
    PA110011.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

The only complaint I've heard is that they are heavy.

The have to be well built because I see really old models (60's) still in use and for sale from time to time.

I don't think they are any heavier than some of them barns you see on some trucks!! I think mine comes in around 1700lbs. They are built well, mine is a 1976 model. The Alaskan Camper website has a classified section with campers for sale but the only one i've seen for sale from alaska has been the one i sold on there a few years ago.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder:
    Thanks for sharing, your 10' cabover looks to be in great shape! From the date you mentioned I take it you picked these up used? Do you mind me asking what I can expect to pay for a used 10' cabover in similar condition?

Also what is the realistic expectation for the number of people this will sleep?

Do all of the appliances work well? And/or are the easy to repair?

What is your fuel consumption ratio with and with out the camper on?

Do you have any complaints about the hydraulic pump?

Upstream:
    Do you own one? Or was this just word of mouth?

Thank you!
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    Potbuilder:
    Thanks for sharing, your 10' cabover looks to be in great shape! From the date you mentioned I take it you picked these up used? Do you mind me asking what I can expect to pay for a used 10' cabover in similar condition?

Also what is the realistic expectation for the number of people this will sleep?

Upstream:

Thank you!
    James
    James, word of mouth. I've been considering a "pop up" style truck camper and have been researching the options for awhile.

If the only "complaint" of the ALASKAN is it's heavy, it has to be a good product in my mind. Plus you don't them come up for sale often used either, and there's still a lot of the really older models out there being used.

I have been considering a Four Wheel camper and have been researching them. Owner reviews etc..... I recently met a guy from Fairbanks making a fuel stop at Sunshine that has one and he gave me the $5 tour of his. He loves it. Lightweight without compromising features. He had his a couple of years and had nothing bad to say about it. The only complaint if you can call it that, is at 0 and below, it does get kind of cold even with the arctic insulation package and the heat going. I kind of thought that was along the lines of something to be expected.

A problem with Four Wheel camper is that you have to go outside to get it or pay the $$$$ to get it shipped up. The factory prefers to install them for the customer because of the way they secure them to the truck. That's a neat set up they used to mount the camper to the truck.

I'm thinking of going that route because of the weight and the low profile of the pop up. It sticks up 10" above the cab when lowered for travel. http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    Potbuilder:

I've seen them go for 500-5000 bucks or more depending on condition & year built. Check out the ads on the Alaskan Campers website and you'll get a idea of what they go for.

In mine me & da wife can sleep up on the top bunk and the table converts into a smaller bed that i'd guess one regular sized guy or a smaller couple could sleep on. I think the front table model sleeps more people but the thing i don't like about it is that you have to crawl over the lower bunk/table if you have to get up during the night. For 2 adults my camper works out great.

Guess thats different for each used camper you find. All my stuff worked great when i bought mine and its all still working .

Guess thats going to depend on what truck you have. Mine is a F-250 w/power stroke diesel & a 410 rear so i get aprox 12-14 mph with the camper on & 16-18 w/camper off.

The pump is so simple to work on its just about funny. I did have a few problems with it but just took it apart, stretched the springs in the check valves and replaced a o-ring or two and it works fine. I've called the factory a couple of times and spoke with Brian the owner of the company and he's always been real helpful with fixing things. Check out this website autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/alaskan_camper/ its sort of a forum of alaskan owners and there are some pages of owners manuals available there.

If your out in the valley and want to take a look at mine just email and we'll set up a day & time for you to stop by. I've got it tarped for the winter but you can still open the door and see the layout.

PA090008.JPG

PA090006.JPG

Upstream:

Thank you!
    James

I answered all your questions in the quote above.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    James, word of mouth. I've been considering a "pop up" style truck camper and have been researching the options for awhile.

If the only "complaint" of the ALASKAN is it's heavy, it has to be a good product in my mind. Plus you don't them come up for sale often used either, and there's still a lot of the really older models out there being used.

I have been considering a Four Wheel camper and have been researching them. Owner reviews etc..... I recently met a guy from Fairbanks making a fuel stop at Sunshine that has one and he gave me the $5 tour of his. He loves it. Lightweight without compromising features. He had his a couple of years and had nothing bad to say about it. The only complaint if you can call it that, is at 0 and below, it does get kind of cold even with the arctic insulation package and the heat going. I kind of thought that was along the lines of something to be expected.

A problem with Four Wheel camper is that you have to go outside to get it or pay the $$$$ to get it shipped up. The factory prefers to install them for the customer because of the way they secure them to the truck. That's a neat set up they used to mount the camper to the truck.

I'm thinking of going that route because of the weight and the low profile of the pop up. It sticks up 10" above the cab when lowered for travel. http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/

Ken
    Ken
    Thanks for sharing; I’ve never heard of the “Four wheel” campers before. It certainly looks like a solid product. I think the Keystone would defiantly fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I answered all your questions in the quote above.
    Steve
    Thanks a bunch! I’m going to take you up on the offer.