View Poll Results: What do you think of Teir II hunts?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's great keeps me in winter meat

2 6.06%
  • It's a good system but needs some work

2 6.06%
  • It's a joke it has no relationship to subsistence

21 63.64%
  • Toss it and start over

7 21.21%
  • Could care less one way or the other

1 3.03%

Thread: Tier II what do you think?

Default Tier II what do you think?

What do you think about the current Tier II system? Love it? Junk it?
    Chuck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs down Teir ii joke

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    What do you think about the current Tier II system? Love it? Junk it?

I think that if i lived in ANCH, i would qualify again.

I think, the system is abused,

I think the hunt should be restricted to youth ages 10-17 with a life time limit of 3 ( after all it is the easiest hunt out there) giving kids a solid chance to jump into the sport of hunting... with a near 100% chance of sucsess....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ......I think the hunt should be restricted to youth ages 10-17 with a life time limit of 3 ( after all it is the easiest hunt out there) giving kids a solid chance to jump into the sport of hunting... with a near 100% chance of sucsess....
    I think the hunt should be reserved for female veterans of foreign wars with service related disabilities and who only receive 3.85% of their total taxable income from child support payments from former husbands who earn less than $92,326.14 per year and are behind in their payments.

And therein lies the problem.

I wanted to pick the "junk it" option, but thanks to the folks who figured they were "more special" than their fellow Alaskans, the Alaska Supreme Court has ruled on this enough times to where we are stuck with it forever.

These are the fruits of the entitlement mentality.

Thanks, folks.

(*All that written by a guy who, along with his wife, gets TC566 permits nearly regularly*)

If I was a member of the tinfoil hat crowd I would say Tier II was a diabolical plot perpetrated by the Illuminates or Masons or some such outfit to destroy the food supply in the bush. Because that is exactly what it is doing, at least in hunt areas that have winter hunts. I lived in unit 13 when the whole fiasco started. Since that time the Nelchina caribou have trashed and scattered. In my home unit I have watched unit 16 moose disappear. I will concede a lot of the problem with both populations is predation. However the winter hunts are in my opinion are a pretty poor management decision. Every mature cow is pregnant that time of the year and food conditions at there worst is stress enough then you have who knows how many "subsistence" hunters on snow machines doing their "traditional hunt" adding more stress to an already stressed animal.

The whole system needs dumped and started over.
    Chuck

I think it doesn't matter what you and I or anyone else thinks about it. I also think it is working exactly as the the authors hoped it would. It is very devisive, much like the other tools in the bag used by the special interest groups. It is clearly meant to distinguish between users and it is doing just that. The crowd that supports it, live their lives, knowing that for them to get what they want, they have to be "entitled" to it. They live knowing there needs to be classes of people; They enjoy exclusionary opportunities. The people willing to accept Subsitence Priority in any form i.e., Tier I or II, Traditional (what ever that is? It must be real, cause I keep hearing it a lot), Federal, State or any other form of it, enjoy being a Second Class Citizen. If you accept it, you like it or lump it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'd like to see something like Vince's idea put into play. One trip up there shows that it's not about subsistence. I could sell just one groups gear and pay off my house.

I figure I am getting closer to getting a permit. I have a motorhome, a four wheeler and a one place trailer. I'll slowly upgrade to the required four place trailer and add three machines. Might have to go with 4 all new machines as mine is an older '94 polaris sportsman 2 stroker. I think that deducts some points.

'94 polaris sportsman 2 stroker
    That will never do you need to upgrade.

I forgot something else you need to get your wife a new truck because yours will be filled up with all your subsistence gear so there won't be room for her and the kids
    Chuck

Yes, i know I have been trying to sell one of my kidneys so I can by one of those 1000 pound 10 thousand dollar monsters. You know the ones that the winch is not an accessory but a necessity. Not the two seater ranger types. The jacked up wheelers that folks are trying to fit 36 inch super swampers on. I was really behind the ball with the Honda Big Red. It did have high, low and reverse and shaft drive. It was nice being able to get unstuck without a brigade of machines to help out. That would never fly now. Actually I wish I would have never sold it when I moved down south, because I came right back and bought that Polaris. Those guys are proud of their parts $$.

No I'll drive the motorhome and she'll drive my truck. Oh wait,you're right that won't work it's a '94 also and won't fit into the scenery of all the new super duper crew cabs. Boy that permit is gonna be expensive. Once I get all the gear needed to qualify, I'll need subsistence.

Those guys are proud of their parts $$.
    Just remember for every dollar spent on snowgo & 4-wheelers you accumulate more Tier II points.
    Chuck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    Yes, i know I have been trying to sell one of my kidneys so I can by one of those 1000 pound 10 thousand dollar monsters. You know the ones that the winch is not an accessory but a necessity. Not the two seater ranger types. The jacked up wheelers that folks are trying to fit 36 inch super swampers on. I was really behind the ball with the Honda Big Red. It did have high, low and reverse and shaft drive. It was nice being able to get unstuck without a brigade of machines to help out. That would never fly now. Actually I wish I would have never sold it when I moved down south, because I came right back and bought that Polaris. Those guys are proud of their parts $$.

No I'll drive the motorhome and she'll drive my truck. Oh wait,you're right that won't work it's a '94 also and won't fit into the scenery of all the new super duper crew cabs. Boy that permit is gonna be expensive. Once I get all the gear needed to qualify, I'll need subsistence.

well the newest requirement is an 4-6 place ENCLOSED trailer to hang that subsistence meat in away from bears and prying eyes... it also allows you to have more buddy's along to camp in when the 56' motor home is filled up...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I think it doesn't matter what you and I or anyone else thinks about it. I also think it is working exactly as the the authors hoped it would. It is very devisive, much like the other tools in the bag used by the special interest groups. It is clearly meant to distinguish between users and it is doing just that. The crowd that supports it, live their lives, knowing that for them to get what they want, they have to be "entitled" to it. They live knowing there needs to be classes of people; They enjoy exclusionary opportunities. The people willing to accept Subsitence Priority in any form i.e., Tier I or II, Traditional (what ever that is? It must be real, cause I keep hearing it a lot), Federal, State or any other form of it, enjoy being a Second Class Citizen. If you accept it, you like it or lump it.
    Except your first sentence I don't see any disagreement between us. However I do believe what people think matters and I will keep fighting to meet my families basic needs, out here that means subsistence.
    Chuck

I think the next step in the Nelchina herd fiasco is to eliminate all ORV and require the animals to be brought out whole!

Vince those aren't buddies, those are fellow subsistence users in my motor home and we cared enough to carpool, so we could save money for one of those fly out subsistence hunts

LuJon
    Whole? As in not quartered, is Bigfoot your hunting buddy? I am all for no ORV's but I sure as heck can't carry a whole Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I think that if i lived in ANCH, i would qualify again.
    You don't need to move to Anchorage just get a box at a UPS Store then use that address on your Tier II application. Out here we don't have mail so we have to rent a box at a UPS Store so according to the folks down at the Tier II office we live in Anchorage doesn't make any difference we have a Talkeetna phone number.
    Chuck

You can use the reverse if you live in anchorage and want to avoid the IM test. Get a box in the Valley.

hiline,
    What would they say if you just stuck a mailbox in your yard and a newspaper box and sent them a picture with the flag up?

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    hiline,
    What would they say if you just stuck a mailbox in your yard and a newspaper box and sent them a picture with the flag up?
    Dame as always "Ifeel your pain"
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    You don't need to move to Anchorage just get a box at a UPS Store then use that address on your Tier II application. Out here we don't have mail so we have to rent a box at a UPS Store so according to the folks down at the Tier II office we live in Anchorage doesn't make any difference we have a Talkeetna phone number.

NOW your just talking smack there buddy..!!!!!!!! ain't now way no how would even attempt to claim i live in Los anch.....thanks i will continue to do as i have since they changed the enrollment form... do with out..rather then claim THAT

my family qualified for bou tags every year until they changed the method ??????????????????????????????????

meet on face book here

The first year that income thing started my son and I actually got tags. He woke up read that the results were out, checked and woke me up and said we both got one. I checked the F&G web site and we did. We were one of the lucky few that got pulled out of the hat for the leftovers. I was ecstatic, my son was gonna get his first 'bou. I didn't care if I got one, I would have let him shoot it off mine if he wouldn't have gotten a tag anyway. Within hours that was gone. Needed to do that new court ruling thing. Needless to say NO TAGS FOR US was the outcome.

I say get rid of it!!