Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grayling

Default Grayling

Is Grayling a trash fish? Iíve never had it, is it good to eat?

Default From what I'm told

They taste much like trout. However I've never caught one big enough to be worth keeping as a meal! Tends to be the story of my life!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

Grayling are great sport fish. Quick to take a fly and fun to catch. I do best on bead head olive woolly buggers #6. Any 1/4 to 3/8 ounce spinner will do also. I like gold or copper. And great eating too. I know they are smaller in certain parts of the state, but my fishing for them has been in the Nome area and on float trips in NW Alaska. They get to be good sized up there. I caught 5 three pounders in a row on a recent NW float trip. We make grayling gumbo with them. We cut one or two into slivers and add them to the Zatarains Gumbo mix about 2/3 the way through cooking it. The meat is wonderful and begins to flake slightly. In the dutch oven, we make garlic biscuits to go with. Incredible river side meal that makes.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Grayling is fantastic river side chow. You got to catch and eat them right away. They do not last long. I love to just spit them a few minutes over a drift wood fire and eat as a snack without any additives. Yum. Well worth trying yourself. I can't think of much better cooked this simple way. Man that really makes me miss home.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Grayling is fantastic river side chow. You got to catch and eat them right away. They do not last long. I love to just spit them a few minutes over a drift wood fire and eat as a snack without any additives. Yum. Well worth trying yourself. I can't think of much better cooked this simple way. Man that really makes me miss home.

They are great table fair. Like akshrop said. Eat them right away. I try to eat them within an hour of catching them,. If not the meat goes mushy and is not good at all. If eaten right away one of the finest fish I have eaten
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Sounds like they'd be a blast with ultra-light gear. I'll be moving up this spring, cant wait to get in the waters..thanks for the info guys.

ultra light spinning rod or a 3wt fly rod. One of my favorite fish to catch and they are beautiful. Pictures do not do them justice. The colors on them when you see the dorsal fin up in the water is just stunning

Got a buddy that catches'm on 000 WT fly rod. Like lil whales.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Got a buddy that catches'm on 000 WT fly rod. Like lil whales.

They are quite the scrappers. I never get tired of fishing for them. On the ultra light gear when you do get a hogzilla on it is a fun fight. being in los anchorage I have to travel to get them but we do. Grayling is on my top 3 fish with bows and steelheads. I fish all over the denali highway and in 09 i am heading to delta clearwater with a member her Jedi master to chase some there. he pulled some serious freaks out of there last year. he has a video on youtube and the post is in there archives here of the trip they has this summer. Alot of fish caught 16+ that day for them. I have caught a few on willow early in the spring too on beadhead nymphs. Such a survivor of a fish. Long winters in what is really a coma. Then eat for 4 or 5 months straight with a little whoopie thrown in. Then back to sleep. such a great fish. If your not keeping them folks pleace pinch the barbs and handle them with care. There are a few of us that truly do love chasing the little buggers

I have clients that smoke them and they are supposed to be excellent done that way. I have eaten a few grayling (from the North West Territories) and they are OK, but far from my favorite. The grayling here tend to have parasites in the meat (those little white blobs) and while safe to eat they pretty much turn me off eating them, plus I find them a pain to clean (too darn slippery with tough scales). I would much rather BBQ up a nice Laker.

Default arcticat500 Sent you a P.M.

Sorry for semi cheating the thread!

Come On a Yooper not telling a fish fib! Dude Check your email.

Over the years I have found the North Slope Grayling to be a little firmer than the Int. that is not to say they are not all good just not as mushy IMO.

Great Game Fish as Check has stated!

:-)

Smile

If you eat them right away they are pretty good with a lot of seasoning, never tried to freeze them. Love to go after them with my 4wt....but cant wait to build an 0wt for those guys. Love that sail they got...i think they look the coolest.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Did you catch that one with your bare hands? I see no pole.

They are great table fair when fresh. If you freeze them they tend to get soft
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Another thing is they tend to smell like and have a little taste of thym in them hence the latin name Thymallus arcticus Do not freeze them. I have never heard of 1 grayling coming out of the freezer worth a darn. Clean and cook within an hour of catching them. Serve Ice cold alaskan amber and a little moose steak cooked over a fire and well it is just like a taste of heaven.

Default grayling are the best

When fresh they are a little bit better than pike. I would rather eat it over Halibut.

Default Great reports

I agree with most. Personally, I don't care to eat trout... to me they taste like mud. Grayling on the other hand is first class table fare! I love to catch grayling and I love to eat grayling.

Dan,

I would not encourage the use of a boga on these fish. It seems, for whatever reason, the mandible on the Alaska resident freshwater fish is not quite as strong as bass, thus supporting them by their lower jaw can cause damage. Other than pike, there really is not a reason to use the boga on a grayling or rainbow. You will do less harm to the fish by using a catch-and-release net, keep the fish in the water as much as possible and keep your hands wet if handling the fish.

Chuck

I had some real problems when I read your comments.... I had this incessant twitch in my casting arm that won't be fixed until June! It's driving me crazy I think that we may have come from the same mold when it comes to grayling fishing. I love floating a mosquito on the surface and the sudden dimple-take.... game on!!! or high sticking a dry in the current and have one jump out of the water and take the fly on the way down! Oh man... I have to stop... the drool is getting on the keyboard!

A couple of comments worth repeating:

If you are going to keep or not, pinch the barbs! It is so much easier to release the fish without barbs and does way less harm to the little guys... they have such a slow growth rate, that it takes them a long time to get to 16"! So handle them gently.

Next, only keep what you can eat at that moment. Don't think about packing them out or freezing them. If you decide to catch and cook... do it over the fire right there. If you look at the possession limit it is equal to the daily limit where salmon is usually 2 day's limit. I beleive it is that way because they recognize that these fish simply do not preserve well.

I personally prefer to wrap the gutted fish in foil and throw in the fire over some good coals. Cook until the meat easily pulls away from the bones. Most excellent.

Happy trails.

Cool Air grayling

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Did you catch that one with your bare hands? I see no pole.
    hehehe....yup. I had just slapped a mosquito and low and behold this sucker jumped out of hte water and my cat like reflexs took over snagging him right out of the air. It was pretty epic..lol

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Heres a little note for some of you guys: You can just gut a grayling and throw it in the coals, the scales act like tin foil. Comes out great ( a little black on the outside, but white and flaky on the inside

Yummy! This one got an official AKODTV pardon
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast