Thread: anyone know how to headspace an fal?

Default anyone know how to headspace an fal?

Anyone know how to headspace the FN FAL metric pattern. I have one, and i have a locking shoulder. The locking shoulder needs to be filed down but it would be nice t o have someone that knows what they are doing. Let me know

I'd try over at www.falfiles.com

Google is your friend:

http://www.sixgunsworld.com/wecsog/f...headspace.html

And please don't go about filing out parts to headspace a weapon, they need to be precisely machined.

If you don't have to tools to do that, please do yourself and anyone that might be next to you on the firing line a favor by having the work done by a gunsmith.

Default FN Headspace

One needs a go and no-go gauges. The amount of filing of the shoulder is minimal so be careful, by keeping the profile and removing just enough to chamber the go gauge is right... if you can close on the no-go... start with a new shoulder.

Stoning is all that is required to accomplish this as we are talking thousandths of an inch.

There is info on this. IF one knows exactly how much headspacing is needed, than a shoulder can be ordered for it, but this takes special variable gauges.

Default headspace!!!!!!!!!!!

be very careful with headspace on a fal! FALFILES is great place to get info on how to do it but you need the right tools also to do it right. Go to www.gunthings.com and buy no-go and go guages,receiver wrench,butt stock remove/install tool and most important they sell locking shoulder gauge pins.... also the gunplumer's web site or his info book is the way to go!!!!!!!!!! also hand honing the locking shoulder could be done but it is very time intensive but it needs to be square and that is almost imposible i know i screwed up two trying that waybut that me..... due your homework........ just my 2 penny