Thread: Palmer creek road

Default Palmer creek road

Planning another black bear hunt in the Palmer creek area south of Hope for Aug 09 and had a few questions.

• Id like to get out there and scout sometime before I hunt. Ideally, Id like to make a 3 day camping/backpacking trip out of it while doing my scouting. How soon would I be able to reliably get down the Palmer creek road to scout? I read that the road can be closed till mid June. Would it be a bad idea to go say in late April or early May, park at the start or as far as I can drive and walk in or would there still be a big avalanche risk walking the road then?
    • It sounds like when the snow is gone, I can drive to the campground at about the 6 mile point pretty easy. Is there any issues with parking there? How tough is it to drive past the campground?

you could just hitch a ride with all the bear baiters that hit that area every spring....
    or hike back up resurection creek trail or to upper russian lakes and probably do alot better and be alot more alone.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The road surface is generally not too bad, the overhanging brush can be a different story. The big question really may be: how do you feel about racing stripes on the paint job of your vehicle. ?

Avalanche danger in april/may will be significant if snowfall is typical or greater this season.

Honestly, I think BB offered some good advice. There are tons of areas on the K-Penn to hunt black bear without having competition or at least minimizing it greatly, particularly if you are willing to hike/pack.

Didn't realize there was so much competition there! Too bad as Palmer creek looks to be a pretty nice area to hunt and easy to get to. If I got a mile or so from the road (hoping to hunt berry patches rather than bait) would I get away from the competition? Or would the bears spend most of thier time around bait rather than hitting the berries?

I did hunt reseruction creek last year. Didn't see many hunters but I did see a ton of hikers and bikers. Had a group of 30ish hikers starting down the trail around the time we were parking. Of course, away from the trail I suppose it dosn't make much differance.

I did some hiking around the summit creek area this summer. Real pretty area and didn't see a soul even on the trail. I'd love to hunt it but I saw very little bear sign there.

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    nice area to hunt and easy to get to.
    Perfect criteria for competition
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Actually palmer creek can be a good place to hunt. Considering 90% of the folks who go there wont get out of there cars let alone go up after a bear.

Once you go past the camping area the road is not maintained, so just take it slow. Alot of pull-outs to park.

Hills are quite steep, but with a bit of exploring there are relatively easy places to go up. I found a few dry creekbeds where its like stairs all the way up (sure beats busting brush through alders).

All it takes is some exploring.

So I guess there would be two questions then.

If I either drove or walked to the end of the road camped by some of the small lakes roughly 1 mile from the road and hunted near the treeline 1.5-2 miles from the road would I likely see any other hunters or bait stations?

If there are bait stations near the road, how likely are they to draw the bears away from me. In other words, if there is a few barrels of doughnuts near the road will that cut down on the number of bears I'll see a mile or two back?

Default some poor communication here....

you will have bear baiters around in spring, when you are proposing to scout, but not in august when you are talking about hunting.
    bear baiting is not legal in the fall.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Didn't realize that. That's great news! I never really looked at the regs on baiting. I was already looking over the map for a new place to hunt. I really did like the way things looked at Palmer creek though.

In that case, am I likely to have more competition at Palmer creek in the fall than say Resurrection creek or Summit creek area?

Default Palmer Creek...

So I guess there would be two questions then.

If I either drove or walked to the end of the road camped by some of the small lakes roughly 1 mile from the road and hunted near the treeline 1.5-2 miles from the road would I likely see any other hunters or bait stations?
    Here's the story on the gate... it isn't traditionally opened until Memorial weekend - simply meaning you won't be able to drive, neither will anyone else. Most folks do not walk in to post bait - as it's a bit of a hump up the road before you're 1 mile from any homes.
    This past summer the road didn't open until the second week of June (ish). Lots of snow, very cool spring, took a long time to melt off.

This year when the gate finally opened, you could drive to Coeur d'Alene campground without much trouble - after that it was hit or miss for the roads.

In essence, snow will be your biggest obstacle this spring.

Bait season closes down there on 15 June.

I'd venture to say that it's pretty clear of snow on the 'road' past the campground by that time.

There's a lot of folks who bait along the road accessible areas near Hope.

Default Target of opportunity

Didn't realize that. That's great news! I never really looked at the regs on baiting. I was already looking over the map for a new place to hunt. I really did like the way things looked at Palmer creek though.

In that case, am I likely to have more competition at Palmer creek in the fall than say Resurrection creek or Summit creek area?
    Most folks don't want to work that hard for a fall bear.

Be worth looking at a map - considering all three trails are pretty close...

Resurrection will probably have the greatest amount of foot traffic.
    Followed by Palmer Creek Road, road hunters primarily.
    I have not been on Summit creek trail.

Lot's of brown bears in the Hope area - so keep your eyes peeled.

The YouTube video's (linked below) were all taken from a bait station near Hope.

Good luck!