Thread: Action packed day!!

Default Action packed day!!

Went out the other day and went to a spot a buddy of mine had shot one two days before and said they were every where. Got up hit it first light and as soon as we got out of the truck i head some off in the distance, which started off the day good. We let out a few howls then a few more and started to glass the area, looking ontop of all the knobs and sides of hills and after about 3 mins of glassing he spots two about 1/2 mile away on a knob looking our way. We howl some more and throw out some distress cries but they aren't having it. The big male makes his way down the hill to a clearing as the female stayed uptop not showing much interest. Well we moved closer but still to far for a shot before the just walked out, that male was a big ol boy. On the way back to the truck we heard three more howling but never showed themselves. Then a pack of wolves across the river had a kill down and were howling to beat the dickens. We howled back to see if maybe we couldn't get one out in the open but no such luck. So we moved to another spot and called in what we thought was two then we seen the thrid, but again they hung up out there about 950yds. No cover this time to get close but my buddy tried and they seen him and got up and walked out. So all in all no dead yotes but they were there and showed themselves well most of them did, so until next time hopefully well get them in for a shot. It was worth it though even though we didn't get any!!

Thumbs up

Sounds like Fun! Glad you guys had a good time. Keep us posted.

Best of the Outdoors!
    -AK4Life

Default Night hunt?

Sounds like a killer spot!! You might consider a full moon night stand. I did one last month and it payed off. They are pretty brave when they think they hold all the cards! Sounds like you're spot is pretty open and you should be able to shoot with just the moon light. You might give it a shot, night calling's the bomb!

Shoe

Default Go by the moonlight

I'd agree with aksnowshoe that you could probably pull them out during the night. If you can't do a night hunt, try howling the area at night to see if they're still there and then sneak in the next morning as close as you think you can safely go without spooking them. If there are willows and cover, they'll utilize it during daylight, so check the thick stuff carefully. You might want to go with a shotgun and make your stand inside the thicker stuff while still being able to see the clearing. If you're a team, go with one rifle and one shotgun to cover all bases.

yeah i checked the weather and it's calling for partly cloudy skies so i hope it's not to much cloud cover. I'm woundering if they just aren't full with all the rabbits that are in the area. We howled at them but it wasn't until we did a group howl that they kicked off, they didn't really care about the lone howls just the pack howls. I'm defenitly going to try that this friday if the weather works, right now the **** wind is blowing 35 gusting up to 50 and this is day two so it's putting a hamper on my calling.

Default Another Action Packed Weekend

Well went out friday night with a buddy and all we saw was a kitty cat on in the ditch and didn't get a chance to get him due to him running off and me not getting the truck turned around in time. Went out Sat morning and had some yotes yipping and chagelling us but never showed themselves. So we went up behind them on the other side of the ridge and found a sweet new spot and as soon as we got set up started glassing and spotted a fox at the head of the valley. Gave a few squals and here he come a running. He did what i didn't want him to do and that was get into some brush and he came within 70 yds of my buddy who couldn't see him and all he gave me was one ear from behind a tree not enough to shoot at. As I was trying to coax him out those yotes started up again and never saw the fox again. Today we got a jump on a fox but all he wanted to do was mouse and wasn't a bit interested in our calls and was to far out to shoot. So all in all another Action Packed Weekend even though no blood. Has anyone else has any success on foxes as what works the best and how to coax them out, I tried the lip squeaks mouse sqeaker and nothing. Any Ideas or suggestions?

mike

Default Fox

Mike, I called a couple of fox in the other nigh with my e-caller using fox and wood pecker distress sequence from western rivers I think.This was also at night.

I have never really until yesterday called in a fox, always been yotes, and i'm not sure other than the rabbit distress. today the fox we had infront of us wasn't interested in our tweety,rabbit and rodent and he was mousing around and couldn't care less. I wonder since it was still a more or less full moon the night before if he was full, plus we spooked him by driving by him on the highway but i was stumped as what works the best on these buggers.

Default ADD?

I've read that some times fox can have a short attention span. The call that I've been using is a very persistent and constant sequence of about 8 minutes, with breaks between the wood pecker call of only about 10 seconds. The fox I called the other night came in about half way through the second running of the call.

Default Adhd

Yeah this one defentily had something going on. The whole time we watched him he would come in cricling wide then stop look and the look around him wander around then the wrong way then I would squak on the call to get his attention back or to at least get him coming at us. Maybe I called to much at him. He would disapear behind snow drifts then all you would see through the bino's was the red blur jumping up then down then up ect...He defentily wasn't into us at all. Which got me thinking is this what fox do and how many others did I call that I couldn't see that lost interst.

mike