Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired Iron

Default Tired Iron

Time to start thinking about the Tired Iron show

Default Define...

... "tired iron" by year please.

"64 johnson"

I think it is , I have to go and get it draged out of the hills, My dad used it all the time and it still ran when it was parked over 10 years ago

1967 Caribou marine

1970 panther with 69' cowling
    Attached Images Attached Images

1970 Snow Cruiser , Wide Track with Reverse

Cwoods that is a nice looking machine

Thanks.....at least one mod a year she gets......

bought a 90' Cougar this fall with a 500 f/a twin to replace the late 70's 440 that has been in it for the last 8 years. 15-20 more hp and better lighting coil will be a nice add-on.
    before doing mod I need a bulkhead from a 70-72 panther that came equipt with a BB JLO or Hirth w/the chaincase on the right as sitting on the machine and a full lengnth jackshaft w/disc brakes....

anybody have this bulkhead???????

This old Panther will out perform my wifes 2007 tundra as well as the 94' and 93' tundras I used to have.
    270 lbs with 16.5" wide track and 11" ski's.Its the only sled I use for hunting.

Let me check around, there's alot of tired iron around Delta

cwoods,
    I got 3 old Arctic Cats, 2-1972 Cheetahs and a 1973 Panther (all redone up, electric starts), packed away in a bus ...till I get back to civilization.
    I have been wondering how to mix the new 2 cycle oils to make a fuel to run these older sleds.
    Can you please tell me what you run as far as fuel/oil ratios?
    Thanks Robert

Hey Mr. Nature....... I use Amsoil 50:1 mixture and have never had a problem. In fact I used Amsoil in a 80:1 mixture for a couple years without a problem one but now mix at 50:1 for safe measure. The ole panther has been drinking that mixture for 7-8 years now and still running strong.

Does the '80 Kawasaki Drifter out in the bushes count? Lots of mods. Currently engine is out and sitting in a box. It runs and was removed to do belly pan repairs. I've wanted to get it all back together and running just for fun, but haven't gotten to it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Hey Mr. Nature....... I use Amsoil 50:1 mixture and have never had a problem. In fact I used Amsoil in a 80:1 mixture for a couple years without a problem one but now mix at 50:1 for safe measure. The ole panther has been drinking that mixture for 7-8 years now and still running strong.
    Thanks cwoods! I feel better now for when I go to run 50:1. I look forward to showing off my sleds in the future. I got the Aluminum all nice and clean. Got a few additions on ebay to complete them more but I am still in search of some temp gauges. I need to get the Cat Klaws mounted on the track (rolled one on my first run on ice but no damage except windshield ) and also try to hook up some hand and thumb warmers (if possible).
    Thanks again, Robert

O.K.now its the "Tired Iron against the Vintage" . You all have a little over a month to tune these old workhorse's up. Personally I think the machine's from the south will crumble because of the salt.. hehe

Default Tired Iron Vintage Sled races...

sound like a lot of fun (http://www.fairbankstirediron.org/).
    Jurassic Classic

This event is intended for sleds no faster than 25 MPH, and for drivers that still have their faculties, but not necessarily their original teeth, hips, or knees.

I guess they're trying to keep the races going.
    Maybe I missed it on the website, but are these races a charity for Hospitality House?

Default it's tired

But it's faster than 25 mph.
    100_0149.jpg100_0151.jpg

Darn, I just took my old '74 Skidoo TNT 340 to the landfill, I could have fixed her up. No, that thing was never going to run again without spending a lot of money on it
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I had a '74 340 TNT...man that thing was fast...but it ate pistons like I eat donuts
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    "64 johnson"

i have an old johnson with the wide track and flip up seat with storage under it... all complete except NO engine..

gave my 72 Rupp Nitro II away a few years ago... as well my Merc 400 and evenrude... ( really wish i hadn't now)

i still know where several of the john deer 71 &74 spit fire, and the 74 was larger one.. long track want to call it a gator.. but don't recall what model it was..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast