Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4-wheelers, argos, sportjons,and airboats

Default 4-wheelers, argos, sportjons,and airboats

Your thoughts? I'm trying to get info from people on here to take with me to a meeting on the 17th. The weather cycle did'nt get no responces, the money thread got a little out of hand, but I did get some insight on it, my question now is how do we regulate these machines? I am not against any of them, but there has been some irresponsable use that needs to be curbed. I'm tough, let her rip. E.S.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    ......my question now is how do we regulate these machines? I am not against any of them, but there has been some irresponsable use that needs to be curbed........
    Why don't we regulate plastic diapers? There has been an incredible amount of irresponsible use that needs to be curbed.

(Did you just get up this morning and a little voice told you that there need to be more regulations or something?)

Default Is it in F&G's

perview or authority to regulate these? I would say that the land owner (DNR on state land) has the responsibility of regulating them if needed. F&G has the authority to say you can't shoot from the back of or in a motorized vehicle or from a satin bedsheet spread on the ground but means of transportation belongs to the land owner.
    IMO
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Mark I'm going to say this as nice as I can.

I love to use all the machines that I quoted, and enjoy using them. All I was asking was your thoughts on them.

I have in the last few year's seen irresponsible use of all of them, and something needs to be done, I wish it did'nt.

Was just asking your thoughts. E.S.

P.S. Yes something needs to be done with the dipars to.You ever been to a dump in the villages?

Here's an idea only enlightened people are allowed to use 4-wheelers, sportjons, argos, and airboats. They must be fully versed in the "responsible" use of these modes of transport. We could have a volunteer 4-wheeler "Czar". Yea we could pave all the trails, have troopers patrol them to keep people "responsible". We could put buoys on the rivers and sloughs. Again more troopers for enforcement of "responsibility".

I know better still lets just pass a law that outlaws the irresponsible use of these modes of transport. That'll fix it. Jeesh that was easy. Next how about something difficult like middle east peace.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Mark

Mark I'm going to say this as nice as I can.

I love to use all the machines that I quoted, and enjoy using them. All I was asking was your thoughts on them.

I have in the last few year's seen irresponsible use of all of them, and something needs to be done, I wish it did'nt.....
    Over the past 28 years there have been more regulations instituted in Alaska than I could possibly recite.

....Was just asking your thoughts.....
    Go into further regulation with extreme caution, and only if necessary.

Please don't jump into a blanket regulatory mindframe on a whim.

There is precious little freedom left.

.....P.S. Yes something needs to be done with the dipars to.You ever been to a dump in the villages?
    If they're in the dump, they're in the correct place.

When I was referring to their irresponsible use, I was referring to when you find them on a wide spot on the road.

You guys have to escuse me I have dial-up and have to close out then come back on to see your responce's.

The reason I asked the question is that IT IS coming up in the next couple of meetings.

I have lived here for 44 years and I don't like any more Gov. than the rest of you do, at the same time, I don't like it when someone come's in here and think's that this is there own little playground and treats it as such.

Give me some answers rather than attack me.

Oh and Mark, the dipars on the west coast of alaska are spread all across the tundra, the wind blows out there

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why don't we regulate plastic diapers? There has been an incredible amount of irresponsible use that needs to be curbed.
    P.S. Yes something needs to be done with the dipars to.You ever been to a dump in the villages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If they're in the dump, they're in the correct place.

When I was referring to their irresponsible use, I was referring to when you find them on a wide spot on the road.
    Oh and Mark, the dipars on the west coast of alaska are spread all across the tundra, the wind blows out there

Man you guys are really posting some crap tonight...but then i guess that DEPENDS on the mood....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince, I really needed that

I don't think the answer lies so much in regulation as it does in teaching folks to "be" responsible. The state is way too big to expect the troopers to be able to be effective in enforcing additional ORV laws. About the most I would expect is to have ORV/boat operators be required to obtain a license for their specific vehicle. This could be as simple as an endorsement on their current license or ID card.

I would GLADLY advocate the requirement for a boat operators license! Some of the reckless and idiotic operators I have seen really make me nervous sometimes. It wouldn't have to be anything long and drawn out, just teach folks the basic rules of running rivers and etiquette when on the water.

As far as ORV's go, it won't be long and we will be legislated out of existence. Greenies already complain about ANY tracks they see in the woods even though a considerable amount of game animals regularly use these trails in their travel as well.

Give them and inch and they will take a mile.....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

You guys have to escuse me I have dial-up and have to close out then come back on to see your responce's.

The reason I asked the question is that IT IS coming up in the next couple of meetings.

I have lived here for 44 years and I don't like any more Gov. than the rest of you do, at the same time, I don't like it when someone come's in here and think's that this is there own little playground and treats it as such.

Give me some answers rather than attack me.

okay so WHAT is coming up in the next few meetings? irresponsible use of ATVs? that occurs year round.. hunting season is only a few weeks of it..

trails are torn and shredded all the time... snowmobiles are one of the WORST things on tundra... most don't realize that winter travel across frozen ground is horable... don't believe it? spend the next two weeks driving across your septic line..... run your snowmobile back and forth across the lawn all winter on 1 trail.. i bet that trail is still there next summer.... for the number one reason..

the ice gets drove down so deep and hard that it takes forever to thaw out.. and kills everything under it off..

ATVs hit the trails in the springs as the snow leaves... that 3 inches of mud on top of the ice is a wonderful thing to spin around in and throw at each other off the tires.....

hey, IT"S A 4 WHEELER TRAIL!!!!! people out to play don't consider the year round effect. i deal with it all summer long at home on the Rex and other area trails...

if the trail was ONLY used in sept... for moose hunting it would heal every summer....

as for irresponsible use of ATVs in the CUA's.... well call the trooper... he has a he-lo and can fly out there...
    Last edited by Vince; 12-08-2008 at 20:59. Reason: spelling
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Akmud and Vince, you are both right, so where do we go to fix the problem? This is coming up and somewhere along the line there will be another law having to do with this, and it will effect all of us. The machines are getting bigger and better, and are getting to place's where 20 years ago we never thought of going. The problem with this is, it also effects the game mang. Keep the thoughts coming. E.S.

Default Boy Rock_skipper...

... are you trying to be a martyr or what?

A while back I asked some questions about the use of super fast river boats and brought down the wrath of their users for asking those questions. Another time I broached the topic of "brappers" and brought down that bunch on me too.

Folks get really defensive about their motor sports, as each type of vehicle/craft has devoted users who want totally unrestrained use of their machinery. Unfortunately, they tend to forget about anyone else who may be using the same piece of territory. Additionally, it is not uncommon for them to even stick up for, or turn a blind eye toward the abusers: the ones who harass game with snow machines; The ones who cause avalanches with hi-marking; the ones who wake loons with PWC; the ones who are mindless of the canoeist or photographer around the next bend of the river. Sometimes they pretend they don't exist, even though the enviros take note of them and stereotype us all by their misdeeds.

None of us wants regulations, but the fact of the matter is, they are coming down faster than any of us with motorized vehicles have feared they will (especially, perhaps, under the new administration). Unless we police ourselves we will lose out to the "antis", and there will be no turning back of the clock.

Thanks Akmud and Vince, you are both right, so where do we go to fix the problem? This is coming up and somewhere along the line there will be another law having to do with this, and it will effect all of us. The machines are getting bigger and better, and are getting to place's where 20 years ago we never thought of going. The problem with this is, it also effects the game mang. Keep the thoughts coming. E.S.

Rock your not going too..... unless you take them away completely....

you can't even get people to behave on the roads and they have to pass a test for that... and still do stupid.....skkt....and they do it on purpose

oh gotta be the first one to the red light. gotta beat the 100,000 lb truck thats doing 65.. cant be behind it for 1/2 so i will pull out in front of it....

so? it snowed? oh well if i go in the ditch.. some one will pull me out...unfoutualty the ones in the ditch are the ones he/she passed

drive to fast drive to slow...bad manners persist, and so does the inherent competitiveness of the human nature...bigger,better, stronger, faster,

we can all be the 6,000,000 dollar man if we buy the right machine...

meet on face book here

Not the answer I as looking for Vince. I will say this, if it comes down to saying what rivers and trails are historic, and need to be treated as such, at the moment I will vote for it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ........None of us wants regulations, but the fact of the matter is, they are coming down faster than any of us with motorized vehicles have feared they will.........
    That's why it's increasingly frustrating when other hunters and fishermen advocate even more restrictions, and in blanket form no less (4-wheelers, argos, sportjons, and airboats).

Hell, even the people at DNR have been extremely willing to give me permits to cross anadromous waters with my Argo, admitting that they have even lighter footprints than a man in boots.

We expect this crap from the radical environmentalists. Why is this increasingly coming from other hunters and fishermen?

Mark

.......if it comes down to saying what rivers and trails are historic, and need to be treated as such, at the moment I will vote for it.
    Historic rivers and trails were used by boats and motorized vehicles.

Mark explain motorized vehicles in the past: The boats were not what they are today.

Oh and I am not a Radical, I am just a person that is concerned.

sayak, sorry I missed yor post, ( **** dial-up), Thats what I'm trying to get across here, ABUSE IT , LOSE IT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast