Thread: Which would you choose?

Default Which would you choose?

I have a 460v and really want a 329pd. I do alot of hiking and fishing and for the most part have no troubles. The 460v is not to bad when it comes to packing I keep it in a shoulder holster. I just would like something lighter since it seems that I probably won't need it. What would you choose and why? Thanks

Santa is going to surprise me with a .500 for those times I might be fishing with the bears. I'd like to get a 329 and use it like I do my 60...carry it when I don't want to carry a "real" gun.

I love my 4" 460V, I know that if I ever do need to stop a bear or ticked off moose I brung enough gun. I packed and hunted with .44 Mags for years and they will kill just fine but if you don't hit right sometimes death is on the slow side. Thats why I got that very expensive 460, I want to be sure to knock the fight out of Alaska's large aggressors if needed. To me the S&W 460 or 500 are the best bet of what is around today for Alaska back country defense.

On the toy side of things I want five of everything made with endless ammo!

Andy

How about a .454 Casull? Where would you place that round?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    How about a .454 Casull? Where would you place that round?
    I shoot 454's in my 460 when Im plinking. They are tame in the 460

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    I shoot 454's in my 460 when Im plinking. They are tame in the 460
    I have shot many hundreds of .38 in my .357. I finally stopped shooting .38's because they made such a mess of the gun. It would take me three hours to get all of the powder and other contaminents out of the cylinder and the barrel throat. Because of this I have been reluctant to shoot .454 and .45 in my 460V. Do the .454's make a mess of your .460?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanAKAL View Post
    I have shot many hundreds of .38 in my .357. I finally stopped shooting .38's because they made such a mess of the gun. It would take me three hours to get all of the powder and other contaminents out of the cylinder and the barrel throat. Because of this I have been reluctant to shoot .454 and .45 in my 460V. Do the .454's make a mess of your .460?

Dan
    If you shoot a bunch of shorter rounds (100rnds) the 460 brass gets hard to extract till I clean and get the melted lead out. It seams to be just with cast rounds, they also muck up the compensator vents no mater what round, 45-454-460. For this reason I am gonna go all jacketed rounds and see how they work.

Dan
    yes they do but a good cleaning works it all out.Smith did a great job on the 460's,it is fun to shoot with the 45's and 454's. The 460's while very cool and why I bought the gun are not fun

Easy solution, just load the 460's lighter. If you do not reload now is a great time to start.
    Tennessee

Thanks for the info. As I expected the shorter shells do make a mess of the gun. I might have some .454 dies for sale as I only bought the dies to load .454 for this gun. I shoot cast boolits almost exclusively. Right now I am working with Ranger Ricks Trunce Cone 265 gr and 300 gr. Haven't hit on a combination that I like yet but I will. These aren't bad to shoot as compared to some of the Hornady .460 factory ammo I have shot. I figure I'll hit a load somewhere in the .454 range using .460 brass and RR's boolits that I will like. Thanks Again!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Easy solution, just load the 460's lighter. If you do not reload now is a great time to start.
    My thoughts exactly. With the cost of factory ammo, I am now reloading my own.

Default Dies?

Thanks for the info. As I expected the shorter shells do make a mess of the gun. I might have some .454 dies for sale as I only bought the dies to load .454 for this gun. I shoot cast boolits almost exclusively. Right now I am working with Ranger Ricks Trunce Cone 265 gr and 300 gr. Haven't hit on a combination that I like yet but I will. These aren't bad to shoot as compared to some of the Hornady .460 factory ammo I have shot. I figure I'll hit a load somewhere in the .454 range using .460 brass and RR's boolits that I will like. Thanks Again!

Dan
    As much as I would like to get a good set of lightly used 454 dies, rather than put a bid in for them I will suggest that your dies may also load the 460 as well as the 45 Colt.

Check it out, save some money.

Lost Sheep

Lost Sheep,

I have all three carbide die sets .460, .454, and .45. I bought them when I bought my .460 back in September. So far I have only used the .460. The .454 and .45 dies are both new RCBS dies with shell holders. Not even any case lube on them as I never loaded any rounds. If you think you might want the .454 just send me a PM and I'm sure we could work something out. I'll be keeping the .45 dies as I plan to buy a .45 but with the .460 I have no need to buy a .454. I might even have bought some .454 brass but I'll have to check, you could have those as well. I know I bought some .45 brass but I'll be keeping that.

Dan

Default Which to choose?

So I guess you all are saying keep the 460v? No one has even mentioned the 329.

Quote Originally Posted by tnjquinones View Post
    IMO the 460V is such a versatile handgun that once you get one why would you ever part with it. It's a little heavy when carried anywhere other than across the chest but I can live with that given how vesatile it is. Load to near max and it will stop almost anything in North America at close range. Load to .45 levels and it is a plinker. Just my opinion.

Dan

Default Shows the regard we all have for the 329

Quote Originally Posted by tnjquinones View Post
    I guess the lack of mention shows the regard we all have for the 329.

OK, I was just kidding. I think the lightweight 44 got forgotten in all the high-power consideration. The 329 is a fine gun, but the recoil you will experience if you ever light up a 300+ grain full-power load would have to be experienced to be believed. But, if you ever HAVE to let one loose, who cares (as long as you can keep hold of the gun)? After all, no one ever flinches on the FIRST shot.

Certainly it would be more comfortable to carry, but the 460 throws a heavier bullet with 10.5% more frontal area than the 44. The 500 Smith goes even higher, with (if I recall correctly) twice the energy of the 44 and LOTS more momentum.

The 44 is adequate for defense against a bear, but the larger bullets are more than adequate. I recall a t-shirt I saw on a buxom lass which read, "Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough." 44 can do the job. 460 has a lot of extra safety margin.

from one web site aimed at retailers, http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_100606763

"Your customers who trek afield a lot, particularly in dangerous critter country, will greatly appreciate this featherweight powerhouse. They'll also appreciate the wisely chosen accessories you sell them along with the Model 329 to make it more shootable." They were talking about padded shooting gloves, aftermarket grips, etc.

At 28 ounces for the 329 versus the 500 S&W at 72 ounces you can see the difference. Convenience and comfort, both for carrying and for shooting, traded off for a great deal more stopping power.

But remember, it is the bullet, not the gun that delivers the terminal ballistics.

My opinion? For long hikes and wearing all day long, the lighter gun is a lot nicer. Ammo for practice is cheaper, and rifle-level pressures in a revolver scare me just a bit. So the 44 is VERY attractive. When faced with a Kodiak Brown, a sawed-off 577 Nitro Express would be barely adequate.

I have a friend who chose a 500 S&W 4" for bear defense for himself and his wife. I, however, pack a 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. I prefer Rugers, have adapted to the size and weight and also carry bear repellant as my first option. Because I would prefer to deter than to deal with the aftermath of a DLP.

Lost Sheep

Good luck.

As always, check facts. Believe only half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Default 329pd

The 329pd is a great pistol. Yes with 310gr hot loads it can have some brutal recoil from the bench, but offhand it is tolerable, without special grips, gloves and whatnot. With 250gr, hot to mild it is a dream to shoot and very accurate.
    310gr Cast bullet at 1350fps is my everyday carry load. Not Mild!! Comparing power, Well now dont think there is a comparision between 44 and 460; however for me the 329pd will get carried ALL the time, it is light enough to drop in a coat pocket or wear all day and never really notice it. It wont get hung up or laid down due to weight or size.
    It will digest any load you put through it within published data and not have any issues.
    I shoot nothing but Hard Cast and could not tell you how many rounds have gone through this thing, Love it!!
    The recoil is differant. It is more strait back than the normal muzzle flip, so fast follow up shots are a dream. I can follow up with multiple shots much faster with the 329pd than my 629PP due to lack of muzzle flip. Oh and the 629 is ported.
    Only issue to watch for is the blast shield, some folks are reporting gas cutting with lots of shooting, but it is a warrenty repair at Smith. I have not noticed any so far. Could be differant powders, cylindar space??
    Dont get me wrong I still need one of those 460s, just because, but I will carry the 329pd.
    Hope this helped..
    Mike