Thread: Glowing targets.

Default Glowing targets.

With the reduction in day light I was debating about trying to find glow in the dark spray paint and painting some clay pigons. Has any one tried this before?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

nope......... But I have shot those light sticks! They are pretty cool when the fly apart in the dark, but are not very easy to see with open sights and of course the plastic part is not biodegradable so you have to go around with a flash light and pick them up for proper disposal when your done.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    With the reduction in day light I was debating about trying to find glow in the dark spray paint and painting some clay pigons. Has any one tried this before?
    Nope, but based on other experiences with glow paints, you'll want to bring along a coleman lantern and lay them out all around it for a while to "supercharge" the paint. I never bothered cuzz I bring along two colemans. One at the firing line and another to light up the targets. Simple.

Good idea but I was hoping to throw the clay pigons.

If you have a couple of those 500W quartz lights (work lights), I bet they would work for throwing if you set it up kind of high behind the shooter. Grouse Ridge and Birchwood Range both have light systems up that work really well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Good idea but I was hoping to throw the clay pigons.
    I've done a fair bit of night shooting on lighted ranges, and provided your light spread was wide and high enough, work lights would probably work just fine. You'd need to be really careful about losing your night vision when using glow targets, which would mean shielding the shooter's eyes from the lights being used to charge the glow paint, etc. Not sure about muzzle flash, but I'm betting you wouldn't be shooting many doubles either.

Probably wouldn't be shooting doubles. I generally throw my own pigons at a gravel pit in biglake and my thrower doesn't handle doubles.

Glow paint is pretty expensive and then you have the already mentioned issue of "charging" it in the field before throwing. And of course it will only really work if the shooter and background of the shooting area is in complete darkness, hence you'd also have to have glow sights (nuclear).

The better option that I've seen is to simply use bright white or fluorescent orange targets and in addition to some general lighting of your shooting area so your typical light tube sights function, then just add a big Black Light to your range lighting. With the ultraviolet light, the white or florescent paint that is already on the targets will be more visible than any glow in the dark paint. Plus you can still have ambient lighting on the range, which is a real safety issue if you can't see where people and muzzles are on the range.

I'd also be curious about the effects one could achieve by putting a Black Light hanging under the gun (like a weapon light) to illuminate the target when the gun it pointing at it. Hmmmm...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hmm, so how would a snowy back ground affect black light?

Default The light would still bounce off the snow

making it a better, more diffuse light.
    Mike
    (if the snow does start doing a black light glow, I would start backing up...)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.