Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do ya think?

Default What do ya think?

Would this be a decent rig for a noob? I'm thinking of getting the 5 wt for bows and dollies and the 8 wt for Reds.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true

C'mon guys! The wife is asking what I want for Christmas! For a guy that's only fly fished the Kenai one time, I need all the help I can get. I'm planning on doing the 2nd run on the Russian next year and the Kenai in September.

A little help here? LOL!

Hey bud. The only problem I have with the set up is the cork drag. Those reds will blow it out. As for the bows you should be ok for a year or so with the reel as long as you make sure to loosen the drag when fishing with Ritchy. You know he and I fish 2 different ways. For the price you know you will be fine on the bows and it you break it I know a guy and gal that will let you use thier gear again . See what the other members have to say. I have seen cork drags go south in just a few fish. No so much the little russian blue backs but you get into the big reds in the kenai in the 2nd run and it will toast it pronto. Just my .02 worth
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Hey bud. The only problem I have with the set up is the cork drag. Those reds will blow it out. As for the bows you should be ok for a year or so with the reel as long as you make sure to loosen the drag when fishing with Ritchy. You know he and I fish 2 different ways. For the price you know you will be fine on the bows and it you break it I know a guy and gal that will let you use thier gear again . See what the other members have to say. I have seen cork drags go south in just a few fish. No so much the little russian blue backs but you get into the big reds in the kenai in the 2nd run and it will toast it pronto. Just my .02 worth
    Thanks, Chuck! No cork, got it!

I like that reel much better,. Make sure to go with a 8'6 or 9' rod no matter 5wt or 8 wt. We were on 8'6" rods this fall

I like that reel much better,. Make sure to go with a 8'6 or 9' rod no matter 5wt or 8 wt. We were on 8'6" rods this fall
    Right on, Bro! 9' it is! Santa is going to be good to me this year!!!

Do you think 65 yds of 20lb test max capacity is sufficient? I'm sure with Flourocarbon, I could get more, but I just want to make sure it's plenty for a red run.

Dude if you dont have him undercotrol by then in the combat zone the fish will be the least of your problems. You can also just run straight mono on your fly reel around 25;b or 30lb test. alot of guys do it but i run about 10 feet of 25lb leader on my floating flyline and always seem to get a fish or two

Dude if you dont have him undercotrol by then in the combat zone the fish will be the least of your problems. You can also just run straight mono on your fly reel around 25;b or 30lb test. alot of guys do it but i run about 10 feet of 25lb leader on my floating flyline and always seem to get a fish or two
    LOL! Point well taken!

Smile Fun decisions

Dude if you dont have him undercotrol by then in the combat zone the fish will be the least of your problems.
    Well said.

You might also look at this option for reds, John. A 9-foot 7 or 8 weight. I think this reel might do you better in the long run. Say down the road you end up fishing for silvers in the salt (or something like that) with this setup, you'll have plenty of backing capacity. Sometimes spending an extra 25 bucks is worth it (and may save you money in the long run when you're replacing broken equipment).
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20433-cat20457&id=0051114320386a&navCount=39&podId=00511 14&parentId=cat20457&masterpathid=&navAction=push& catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20 457&hasJS=true

I agree completely on having a good drag. A big red can put it to your reel... especially if you snag him in the tail end!

That said, I think the Three Forks/Cahill combo you posted above will do you fine. And any of the setups you've looked at in a 5-weight will work well for trout. Stick with a 9-foot rod, as Chuck mentioned.

And congrats on being a flyfishing noob!!!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Well said.

You might also look at this option for reds, John. A 9-foot 7 or 8 weight. I think this reel might do you better in the long run. Say down the road you end up fishing for silvers in the salt (or something like that) with this setup, you'll have plenty of backing capacity. Sometimes spending an extra 25 bucks is worth it (and may save you money in the long run when you're replacing broken equipment).
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20433-cat20457&id=0051114320386a&navCount=39&podId=00511 14&parentId=cat20457&masterpathid=&navAction=push& catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20 457&hasJS=true

I agree completely on having a good drag. A big red can put it to your reel... especially if you snag him in the tail end!

That said, I think the Three Forks/Cahill combo you posted above will do you fine. And any of the setups you've looked at in a 5-weight will work well for trout. Stick with a 9-foot rod, as Chuck mentioned.

OOOOOOh! Thanks Wyo2! Now I like this setup in the 8wt and the 5wt! I feel like a kid in the candy store! C'mon Santa!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Well said.

Not a total Nube, He lost his virginity on the kenai last september. he spent a week with me and learned the good the bad and the frustrating. I cant wait to fish for reds with him this year for the first time and of course fishaplooza 09 in september. He started out on a 7wt this fall and by the end of the trip he was down to one of my 5wts and working the water like a pro. The one thing he finally learned was what John SET THE HOOK. God we had a great time

Oh yeah, and pull straight up! This isn't a Large Mouth Bass for crying out loud! LOL! What a blast and I can't wait 'till next year!!!!

That's a heck of a way to get introduced to flyfishing. Sounds like it was a blast. Good luck with your new Christmas presents, John.

Reds and fly rods do make for a good time. My dad and brother visited last July when the big push of reds had just hit the upper Kenai and we had an unforgettable day with the reds just streaming by...

The big lesson my dad had to learn was not to immediately assume he was snagged when his hook stopped in the jaw of Mr. Sockeye. "Ah, I'm hung up," as he starts trying to shake his fly loose. "Oh wait, it's a fish!" as a nice red blows out of the water, changes direction, and takes off down river with the reel just singin!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

here's what I think:

Honestly - I wouldn't do anything that cheap. No way.

1. It is not much money at all, it is a fair price for the rod/reel comb.
    2. It's just that the rod, and the reel, aren't very good. I broke one of those doing not much of anything (someone else's); it is unlikely to hold up to Alaska salmon very long, if at all. That doesn't make it a bad rod for the price, but I just don't think it will hold up to AK fish. They are not sunfish(note that the comments in Cabelas website were for bluegills).
    3. I disagree with the comment on cork being bad drag material. There are good cork drags, bad cork drags, good synthetic drags, different drag areas, mixes of materials, etc. Cork vs. non-cork itself has little (make that nothing) to do with tearing up a drag. That said, I use synthetic drags myself.
    4. I'd recommend spending a bit more than that, for a sturdier fly rod, if the idea is pulling in salmon. I hesitate to recommend bottom end rods of other brands, but something like a TFO pro ($150) with one of the other large arbor cabelas reels (with more drag area), or the orvis mid-arbor ($120 or so) is worth considering. Realize that this isn't expensive equipment either, and will have its share of failures as well; but should last awhile longer than an $80 setup, which gives you a real risk of breaking your first time out. I'm serious here.

Try to stay away from those smaller offset drags, and the very cheap cast magnesium or aluminum reels; they will work - but not very long.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    here's what I think:

Honestly - I wouldn't do anything that cheap. No way.

1. It is not much money at all, it is a fair price for the rod/reel comb.
    2. It's just that the rod, and the reel, aren't very good. I broke one of those doing not much of anything (someone else's); it is unlikely to hold up to Alaska salmon very long, if at all. That doesn't make it a bad rod for the price, but I just don't think it will hold up to AK fish. They are not sunfish(note that the comments in Cabelas website were for bluegills).
    3. I disagree with the comment on cork being bad drag material. There are good cork drags, bad cork drags, good synthetic drags, different drag areas, mixes of materials, etc. Cork vs. non-cork itself has little (make that nothing) to do with tearing up a drag. That said, I use synthetic drags myself.
    4. I'd recommend spending a bit more than that, for a sturdier fly rod, if the idea is pulling in salmon. I hesitate to recommend bottom end rods of other brands, but something like a TFO pro ($150) with one of the other large arbor cabelas reels (with more drag area), or the orvis mid-arbor ($120 or so) is worth considering. Realize that this isn't expensive equipment either, and will have its share of failures as well; but should last awhile longer than an $80 setup, which gives you a real risk of breaking your first time out. I'm serious here.

Try to stay away from those smaller offset drags, and the very cheap cast magnesium or aluminum reels; they will work - but not very long.
    Thanks, Steve!

As a noob, I'm weighing everyone's advice. Maybe I'd better bring along an ugly stick just incase my cheepo fly rod breaks. Then again... I'd love to have another back-up fly rod too! Maybe I'll buy the rod you recommend and the cheaper one as a back-up.

Thanks!

a small roll of duct tape may come in handy as well.

Or just use mine buddy. LOL. You can borrow my 15 year old 8wt st croix that has hundred upon hundreds of reds under its belt. It has been taught well

#1 Support local fly shops when you can

#2 Those rods are pretty dead, they really don't cast very well at all

World Wide Angler stocks Echo Rods which have a very good reputation although I haven't casted them. I believe they also have ross worldwide reels which are some of the best value available. Most of all the folks there are some of the best and most knowledgeable in the city and will set you up right and stand behind their stuff. Especially now that fishing gear in fly shops is not so insanely expensive its much easier to support them...

Also for reds if you are doing the normal thing for reds just go to wal mart and pick up a cheap combo, a high modulus rod breaks easier than the cheap stuff, and they don't have to cast good. I still use a super cheap 9 wt for harvesting...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast