Thread: Need a good book on trapping...

Default Need a good book on trapping...

This is a call for help from anyone who knows more than me... probably all of you. I'm looking for a good book on trapping. I'd like to get into trapping here in Alaska, but my experience is limited to trapping coyotes, coons, and bobcats growing up in Texas. I assume that there are some similarities, but I know there are a lot of things I need to learn to be successful up here. If someone can suggest a good book to get me started, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Fairbanks but Temporarily in Dayton OH

The AK Trappers Association puts out a book on AK trapping. Pretty good book, just go over to their web site. I also bought trapping north american fur bearers. Between the two and asking some questions you'll be up and running in no time. Good luck!

Pointy, thanks for the input. I'll grab copies of those... looking forward to getting out there. Good luck this season.

Default trapperman

Get on trapperman and read the archived posts, INCREDIBLE info there, then read through the wilderness forum archive and you will find TONS of knowledge there.

I second the Alaska Trappers Manual and the Trapperman forum. If you are close to Wasilla you can pickup a copy of the book at Fort Green.

Dean Wilson's book on Alaska trapping can't remember the name but that one and the ATA manual are the two best I've seen on Alaska trapping.

Eagle River

I agree with Fish, the Wilderness Trapping and Living Forum on Trapperman is a GREAT resource. The majority of the info on there, you won't find in any book. Dean's book "The ALASKAN TRAPPER HANDBOOK" is a good resource as well, I'm especially fond of pages 62 and 92
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Thanks for all the info, guys... much appreciated.