Thread: 30-06 sheep loads

Default 30-06 sheep loads

so i got the trusty old 30-06 out and i am wanting to work up some good loads for sheep hunting been using my 338 for the past 15 years or so i want to see if i can get some distance out of the 30-06. what should i try first?

165 grain nosler BT's. or the 180's if you want a little more weight. But I'd stick with the 165's.

http://www.nosler.com/?p=15&b=30cal

Default 30.06 Load

165 Nosler Partition or Accubond, 165 or 168 Barnes TSX. H4350 or Ramshot Hunter.

I used the Accubond to take a sheep 2 years ago. Used the TSX on Goat. Both worked well.

My current favorite 30.06 hunting load is the 165 TSX with the Ramshot powder.

165gr Accubond or 168gr TSX using H4350
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Why not drop down to a 150. Enough weight for sheep, and a flatter trajectory over normal distances in which sheep are taken. My vote would be the 150 accubond.

that was my thinking drop the weight of the bullet and get more range out of it think 110 grain too light for sheep? i know well placed shots would be important but that is not a problem. thanks for the advice so far got some loaded now just waiting for this dang wind in the valley to stop blowing

Default Sheep load

I used to really like the 165 BT Nosler partitions like some of these other folks, and I do still like them especially with IMR 4350. Lately, I've been playing with Barnes TSX and Nosler Accubonds. On the less expensive side, Hornady AMax fly really well. I've always found IMR-4350 to work best in several 30-06s and bullet weights.
    A 150 grain would work, but your group may get a little wild if you are loaded to the max powder charge.

Default 165/168 grain for the Caliber 30, Model of 1906

Most of my handloading for this cartridge has been with Nosler bullets in a few different rifles. Tried bullet weights from 150 - 220gr and as much as I like and trust the performance of the 180gr Nosler Partition, I keep coming back to the 165 gr. NP or Accubond instead of 180s for the extra 75-100 fps velocity and slightly flatter trajectory. Have also loaded 165gr and 168gr Ballistic Tips, with acceptable accuracy, just not real confident on their terminal performance on larger game, should work fine for sheep. I have found 165 gr to be my preferred bullet weight, the 165 gr bullet and the 30-06 just seem about perfectly balanced. I've had similar accuracy and terminal effects with 150s in 308Win. Preferred powder in 30-06 cartridge with the Nosler 165s is IMR-4350 @ 57 grains.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 12-10-2008 at 01:54. Reason: add on

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

don't worry about penetration being the issue, regular softpoints will work just fine! remington core-locts @ 165gr expand fast and penetrate as well... this is a great "stopping bullet", and will put your sheep down faster than most of the so called premium bullets available.

i also use 4350 and start my loads 1gr under max, and work up to my most accurate load. if you cronograph....record the load with the least deviation as this should be the most accurate one.

be sure to log your "cold bore" shot, as this will probably be your killing shot. if your rifle requires a fouling shot to group well, be sure to do it!

happy trails.
    jh

I use speer hotcore 165gr with hodgen 4350 with load in the middle. I get 6 inches of drop at 300 yards.

Default Bullet

Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    that was my thinking drop the weight of the bullet and get more range out of it think 110 grain too light for sheep? i know well placed shots would be important but that is not a problem. thanks for the advice so far got some loaded now just waiting for this dang wind in the valley to stop blowing
    I believe there are many better choices for hunting sheep than the 110 grn 30 caliber bullet. REASONS BEING :

The 110 grn bullet has a low sectional density. This means the bullet may not be constructed rigidly enough to get get adequate penetration on angleing/quartering shots. It might also fragment if it impacts a bone/shoulder before entering the chest cavity. Resulting in a wounded animal. The 110 grn bullet also has a low Ballistic Coeffeceint which means it would loose velocity faster than than a bullet with more mass/aerodynamics. The mass/weight/aerodynamics of a bullet helps it retain velocity; objects in motion, tend to stay in motion.
    The 135-165 grn bullets in this caliber would be a much better choice. They offer a higher sectional density and increased ballistic coeffecient and heavier bullets tend not to be effected as greatly by crosswinds, as are lighter projectiles.
    They would give better penetration and retain more velocity/energy downrange.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

well i am off on bullet search now to see what i can find i am thinking i will load up a little of each and take them out for some real world long range testing and see how it performs. My other opion for a lighter gun is a .257 roberts in a modle 70 featherweight might it be better for a sheep rifle.

Mod 70's in 257 Roberts are junk. You should sell them really cheap, and fast

I wouldnt use a 110 in the 30-06. Most are thin-jacketed varmint type bullets. Look at the 150 accubond/ballistic tip. If you are on a budget 150 hornady interlock. The Roberts would work just fine on sheep, however I'd be more inclined to take the 30-06.

my .257 has been a good gun killed lots of whitetale and a few elk wanted a bigger gun after too long of a shot on a elk that turned in to a 2 day tracking game. what a long 2 days for a 13 year old

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Mod 70's in 257 Roberts are junk. You should sell them really cheap, and fast

I wouldnt use a 110 in the 30-06. Most are thin-jacketed varmint type bullets. Look at the 150 accubond/ballistic tip. If you are on a budget 150 hornady interlock. The Roberts would work just fine on sheep, however I'd be more inclined to take the 30-06.

Default 165gr. Ballistic Tip

You don't need the bonded quality of the Accubond. The above listed bullet is very similar but it is a cup and core design and markedly cheaper. That is all you need for sheep or other thin skinned big game. I load 59.0 grs. of H4350, a Fed 210M primer and the game is on! Always work up the load to your rifle.
    While the 150grs. are tempting, their BC number, .435 is less than the 165 BT's or Accubonds at .475. Therefore the 150's will drop more than 165's at some point downrange.
    However, shoot what is most accurate in YOUR rifle. That is the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by akrifle View Post
    I used to really like the 165 BT Nosler partitions like some of these other folks, and I do still like them especially with IMR 4350. Lately, I've been playing with Barnes TSX and Nosler Accubonds. On the less expensive side, Hornady AMax fly really well. I've always found IMR-4350 to work best in several 30-06s and bullet weights.
    A 150 grain would work, but your group may get a little wild if you are loaded to the max powder charge.
    I came up with a really great performing load of IMR-4350 pushing a Nosler 165 BT from my '06.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    I came up with a really great performing load of IMR-4350 pushing a Nosler 165 BT from my '06.
    bushboy, was that 60grs of IMR-4350 or are some where closet? I developed a load in my Mark V Custom 30-06, that was almost as accurate as my load with H4350 but was faster and flatter using 60grs of IMR4350 moving a Sierra 165gr HPBT at over 3000fps.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

did not mean to say "CLOSET" in the previous post mean to say "CLOSE"
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Smile 165 gr. Hornady Interlock

.30-06 165 grain Hornady Interlock pushed by 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 and a Federal 210 primer. Everybody has an opinion based on their own experience and my experience is you do not need a premium bullet for sheep. I do realize that some use premium bullets on sheep hunts because they are in, or have to pass through, bear country and want the tougher bullets in case of a "not so pleasant" run in with a bear and this is definately warranted.

454casull, great shot on the sheep, and great cartridge the 30-06 and you are using a load I used for years of 57grs IMR4350 and I used it with the 165gr Sierra HPBT. Once again, great picture and a mighty fine sheep indeed. Nice going
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS