Thread: fish flasher

Default fish flasher

Just wondering if anyone had any insight (sp?) on the vexilar fish flashers. I am looking at the FL 12 but i have noticed the FL 20 is more expensive. Is it worth paying the extra money for.... whatever reason it is better. It seems that the FL12 has everything you would need. Can anyone who has one of the two add a little insight on the pro's or con's on either model. Thanks in advance. Good fishing to you all.

Default why a flasher?

i don't know what you are using it for, but for the same money, more or less, you could get a nice sounder that actually shows the bottom, maybe even with a GPS... something that would show waypoints and store data.
    for the fishing i do here in the bay a flasher would be next to worthless, as it would be difficult to tell when you were getting "bounce" off of a thermocline or a bunch of jellyfish, and hard to read structure on the bottom, i.e. tell the difference between a kelp forest and a ball of bait tight to the rocks..
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I'm no expert, but have read up quite a bit on flashers since getting into ice fishing. The biggest difference that I can tell is the 6 and 12 foot bottom zoom. That feature allows you to zoom in on that zone for a more detailed view. From the people that I talk to, the only ones that use and want that feature are the lake trout guys that fish 100-160 feet of water, when fishing that deep I bet it helps a lot.

The other differences are things like the night mode, useful maybe if you fish at night, looks like better sensitivity with the FL20, and it has a bigger display.

The FL18 also has a bottom 6ft zoom feature.

That's about all I know, hope that helps

Cool ah... i see

okay, i can see where a flasher would be good for ice fishing.
    i had not thought of that.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I have used a FL8 since 1990, I feel blind ice fishing without it. I have an Aquaview camera as well and use it only once in a while. I'm not familiar with the new models but I imagine they are better than what I have. Once you are familiar with one, you will use it regularly. good luck.

Thanks guys! Maybe i will just go fishing with somebody who uses one to see what all the hullabaloo is. Im sure i will like it and will unfortunately hand over more money for equipment that i absolutely have to have. Thanks again!

I use the FL8 and have had it for many, many years. It does what I want it to do so I'm not sure if the upgrades are necessarily worth the extra money. I use my almost always for ice fishing but I did buy the "summer" transducer (won't show as much clutter at high speeds) and used it once on a fishing trip to Canada. Worked well.