Thread: Prepare for confrontation.

Smile Prepare for confrontation.

Are you prepared for confrontation with; an anti-trappers, fellow trappers, hunters that don’t agree with trapping, user conflicts (dog mushers, skiers, hikers, etc), someone posting their distaste for trapping/predator hunting right here on this forum???

Are you prepared to stand, defends and enlighten?

I was looking at miscellaneous other websites and forums and noticed a few things. There are a colorful variety of opinions on trapping. (Well duh, I know BUT-) It is the responses given by people, just like us, that can make a huge difference on how outsiders continue to view what we do. Of course their will always be some that are completely obstinate, but there are a lot of people that just have a misguided view or are misinformed.

Ex: It is called a “foothold” because it is intended to “hold” the animal. It is not called a “foot-breaker”. It is amazing how many people just are not informed.

Right here on this forum there have been several threads on ‘not so good’ things happening.

Ex: traps being stolen, snares being knocked down, big game hunters interrupting predator hunters calling, fellow trappers trying to “claim” huge amounts of territory.

This thread will probably drop into obscurity because it is just some late night rambling thoughts. (Anxious to go check traps tomorrow, can’t sleep)

I do hope everyone takes some time to think about how they would deal with an unfavorable situation if one arises. Stand and defend when needed but don’t forget to enlighten.

Best of the outdoors!
    AK4life

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AK4Life View Post
    Are you prepared for confrontation with; an anti-trappers, fellow trappers, hunters that don’t agree with trapping, user conflicts (dog mushers, skiers, hikers, etc), someone posting their distaste for trapping/predator hunting right here on this forum???

Are you prepared to stand, defends and enlighten?.....
    Better "be nice", or you'll end up in trouble.

Gotta' be like a lawyer these days, and even then you could be in trouble of having an "aggressive posting style".

This is the Age of Platitudes.

Question

[QUOTE=Mark;384235]Better "be nice", or you'll end up in trouble.

QUOTE]

Sorry if I ruffed some feathers there Mark. I do apologize. My intent was just the adverse of they way you must have taken it. I believe it is imortant for people to know where they stand and be able to politely and politicly enlighten their opposition as to their line of thinking. I was trying to be nice by giving everyone something to think about, so, in the unfortunit event that they will be required to voice their opinion when they least expect it.

We all spend lots of time getting ready for a hunting/trapping trips, to make sure we are prepared. I just realized after reading lots of different forums and threads that I was unprepared in the event I were to have to explain myself in a spur-of-the-moment encounter.

Ex: If I were out trapping and had a bad encounter with (whomever). How that situation is handled on my part, could make a good or bad impression on (whomever) not just towards me but all trappers.

Mark, If I failed, again, to make my point. Please PM me. It is hard for me to express "tone" through written words. If I could have shown tone in my original post, it would have been of sincere concern for everyone to be prepared enough to "politely" enlighten others to our outlook on certain activities. I was trying to be "nice".

Best of the outdoors!
    AK4Life

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AK4Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Better "be nice", or you'll end up in trouble.
    Sorry if I ruffed some feathers there Mark. I do apologize. My intent was just the adverse of they way you must have taken it. I believe it is imortant for people to know where they stand and be able to politely and politicly enlighten their opposition as to their line of thinking. I was trying to be nice by giving everyone something to think about, so, in the unfortunit event that they will be required to voice their opinion when they least expect it.....
    No need to apologize at all. I agree with your position 100%.

The problem is that today's society has ways of dealing with people who "confront" others with the truth. In the end, you'll just be "mean spirited", or "aggressive", or any number of other horrible things.

......I just realized after reading lots of different forums and threads that I was unprepared in the event I were to have to explain myself in a spur-of-the-moment encounter.....
    A confrontation on site can be extremely dangerous, both tactically and legally. It's likely best to say as little as possible, let your opponent talk or act himself into trouble, remain alert, and report any hostility to the authorities later.

......I was trying to be "nice".....
    Again, I am not offended at all, and there is no need to apologize to me.

I'm not one to weep over honest words.

IMO
    I ask "Are you prepared to prevent confrontation?"

Do you trap in areas where people walk their animals? Do you give room to development? Just because it is a legal area does not mean that it is a smart place to trap.

Do you respect other trappers and look at avoiding crossing their lines?

Do you follow the law?

Do you try to prevent non-trappers from seeing your kills?

Do you do everything in your power to keep the anti's from "getting in your business" or do you throw it in their face and tell them to deal with it because it is legal?

I respect a persons right to trap. I also believe that with almost everything, it requires a bit of common courtesy and privacy. Giving the antis (or worse yet, making an anti out of someone that previously supported your cause) ammo is not the way to keep the tradition and lifestyle alive.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    IMO
    I ask "Are you prepared to prevent confrontation?"

...(or worse yet, making an anti out of someone that previously supported your cause)

...ammo is not the way to keep the tradition and lifestyle alive.
    Thanks dirtofak; Excellent points all the way around.

"Prepared to prevent confrontation" could be an entire thread all in it's own. There has been a lot of talk on here about that also. People asking questions as not to over step others bounds. People that have gone out of their way to put in their own trails only to have them followed and tampered with anyways. Etc. Etc. Etc. So I decided to concentrate on "if all else fails".

"making an anti-" is the last thing any of us want.

"Ammo" What do you consider ammo? I beleive everyone that has a belief should have an understanding of that belief and if they ever expect to be questioned on it, they might want to think about what they would say. I don't think Knowledge of a subject is a bad thing.

Someone pointed out "the best way out, is to say as little as possible and let the other person make the mistakes" (something along those lines.)

In certain situations thats is the best way. In other situations, to a fencewalker maybe, that isn't sure about how they stand--- It might just take a little polite enlightening to bring them to our side.

However you plan on dealing with any situation, a little forethought might go a long ways. On your behalf,theirs and possibly the oragnizations that either stand for.

"CONFRONTATION" This word alone seems to put people on edge. Confrontation does NOT have to be a bad thing. A matter of fact, everyone probably has a different view of what it means. Keep that in mind. It could be, to some, a directed question that puts you on the spot. To others, it may be a yelling match.

IMO- If you make an attempt to politely enlighten someone (if they are even open to the information in the first place) and they start to get hostile or raise their voice its probably time to "stand back and let them make the mistakes". All situations are different. This was not intended to be precieved as starting a fight; quite the contrary.

Be informed, be prepared and make a good example.

Best of the outdoors!
    -AK4Life

"CONFRONTATION" This word alone seems to put people on edge. Confrontation does NOT have to be a bad thing. A matter of fact, everyone probably has a different view of what it means. Keep that in mind. It could be, to some, a directed question that puts you on the spot. To others, it may be a yelling match.

I couldn't agree more. I was recently talking to my girlfriend about some issues she was dealing with at work. I told her she should confront her boss, and she stated she didn't like confrontation. I told her that not all confrontations were of the negative type.