Thread: Drying boots in the field.

Default Drying boots in the field.

I am looking for ideas on how to dry wet boots while in the field (sheep hunting). I have read in the past of using hot water bottles to help heat the boot or stuffing dry clothes in them for awhile. I have also heard wrapping aluminum foil around a C or D size battery can produce enough heat to dry a boot overnight. I think the last has a serious risk of fire or injury and would only consider trying it on my buddies boots first.

I was thinking of buying a couple of the Jon-E hand warmers and trying them. Here's a link to what I am talking about. http://www.outers-guncare.com/products/Jon_e.aspx

Please add any suggestions or give your thoughts on this.
    Thanks in advance..

I use waded up news paper to wick out the boots ...works good.
    A good friend of mine showed me that trick
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Put a couple of hand warmers, the dry chemical ones, in each boot and stuff a sock on top. Dry boots in the morning. Stole this from Tony Russ, tried it and it worked!

Default Jon-e warmers...

Ak Fireman,
    I thought Dennis Confer, in his book, Hunt Alaska Now..., made this same suggestion for drying boots with Jon-e warmers. Couldn't find it just now, but Jon'e warmers are small. At least for float hunts or drop camps, it seems worth it to me.

Soapstone that is cut to fit in boots works very well. Family freind and hunting partner had a pair. Heat up till you can barely hold them and set in the boots.
    Might have to do it a couple of times but it works.

I have good success with the sawdust handwarmers. You may try the ole fashion hot rock if you build a camp fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    I use waded up news paper to wick out the boots ...works good.
    A good friend of mine showed me that trick
    +1 it works, as far as removing sweat from a long days use. But soaking wet boots from all day rain too – this is not going to work. Still use to news paper to remove as much moisture as possible then put on a fresh pair of wool socks before you leave in the AM and you can walk them warm within 5 to 10 minutes. You’ll still have wet feet but you’ll be warm. I like smartwool socks and liners. The liners help to minimize / prevent blisters. But don’t forget your duct tape for those blisters!

Default They make a

boot dryer that runs off of 1lb probane bottles. I know Cabela's sells them. I think Peet is the brand. The reviews seem to be mixed but it sounds like a good idea. I was going to buy one and give it a try. I think they are somewhere around $54.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    boot dryer that runs off of 1lb probane bottles. I know Cabela's sells them. I think Peet is the brand. The reviews seem to be mixed but it sounds like a good idea. I was going to buy one and give it a try. I think they are somewhere around $54.00.
    Yup - your correct!
    http://www.peetshoedryer.com/product_propane.html

Default Another approach...

Friend of mine suggested gore tex socks to me for keeping feet warm when steelhead fishing. I ordered some (Cabelas, $20)...ugly and slightly ill-fitting but dang if they don't work pretty good - not perfect, but better.

Good luck.

Yeah... for our sheep hunt, we had these polypropylene socks that we bought to keep our feet warm. We also wore waders all the way in as well.

About keeping boots as dry as possible, we took our trekking poles and jabbed them into the ground so that they were standing straight up and we hung our waders and our boots upside down on them so that they could dry over night.

The socks, though, I slept with them to be sure that they stayed warm so that I could assure myself that I would have warm feet.
    Lurker.

Smile boot dryer

Well this year I used the propane PEET boot dryer when camping near my car and it took a little while to get going but then it burned all night and dried the boots nicely despite freezing temperatures. I thought it worked great on my hiking boots. But this wont help you in the sheep mountains as its too bulky so you would have to use the other suggestions..I always have the gore tex sox and they help.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear