Thread: My two son's sheep hunt

Default My two son's sheep hunt

After drawing Tok permits in two consecutive years and having bagged one real nice ram in that time my brothers and my patience was growing thin for the august sheep season of 2008. The monarch my brother lost to an ice crevass the year prior had seemed to forever haunt him, and could not wait to get the monkey off his back.

Heading in blind we knew what we were up against. The early season weather was quite favorable for a long pack in to try and find some dall rams. With the early start two days before the opener we took our time and reached a mountain top 6 miles from our landing strip. While catching our breath and snacking on some delicious dehydrated moose meat we glassed the rocky landscape. A blonde sow made herself visible as her and her cub mowed down the lush berries covering the treeline.

A few moments later we spotted our sheep! Three rams bedded just below us, one dandy full curl, another smaller full curl, and a 7/8. We were stoked to say the least, and had no problem setting up camp right where we were. The next day we watched those same three rams and another real nice broomer that showed up mingle with ewes and lambs throughout the valley.

Opening morning came with smiles and excitement as we made a plan of how to stalk down the 2 thousand feet to the rams. The time was right and we felt the rams to be in a vulnerable position so we crept down along the streamside and popped up to the lowest rock crop where we spotted the broomer and several ewes. With no hesitation my older brother decided he would like to redeem himself by taking the broomer, and he did just that as I videotaped him dropping the brute with a well placed shot.

As our adrenaline pumped we made the split decision to trade the rifle for the videotape and we ran down around the corner where we spotted the orginal three rams escaping into the high rocks. With a natural bench I steadied on the lead ram and "BOOM" , dropped him with another great shot.

After some high fives and story telling for the rest of the family the work began. Three days later, and two beat up hunters we had our rams packed out and ready for the taxidermist.

Having the opportunity to hunt dall sheep in the mountains with my brother and to be successful, it was truly an experience of a lifetime! Watching my bro harvest his first ram and watching the excitement he showed just makes me chuckle every time I watch the film.

His broomer was said to be an eleven year old broomed at full curl , and my full curl measured to be 35 at 8 years old. It was the smallest of the three sheep Ive harvested but the most satisfying in that I worked the hardest for it. cant wait for 2009

Default my two son's sheep pictures

I don't know why the pictures didn't paste the first time ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats. Nice Sheep.

great story and great sheep!

Default thanks

Thanks for taking the time to share the story. I can never get enough of them as I'm sure that is the same for most of the other members. Did you post any of the video on youtube? Congrats on a great hunt.

Default Nice sheep

WOW, very nice and exciting....

Beautiful sheep and great story. You and your brother will cherish these pictures and the video forever. This is an inspiration to go hunting more with my two brothers and heck, my four sisters if they wanted to go. Thanks for sharing.

The kind of story you read in an outdoor journal. good stuff, great pics
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Those are some good looking rams, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for showing it can still be done.

wow very inspirational... Nice rams..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

A vicarious hunt for me, thanks for sharing.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default Confused

How did you draw permits in two consecutive yrs? If you draw a permit for 07, your not eligible for the same permit until 09, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    How did you draw permits in two consecutive yrs? If you draw a permit for 07, your not eligible for the same permit until 09, or am I missing something?
    Thanks for pointing that one out . Brian meant to say he drew the first permit and scored on a beautiful 39 1/2 " ram . Then Kevin drew the following year and lost one equal or not better than his brother . They both got lucky with the permits

Brian drew his in 2006 and Kevin drew his in 2007 .

Default Party Hunt?

was 08 a Party hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    was 08 a Party hunt?
    08 was not a party hunt nor a permit hunt . They flew in and did it the old fashion way .

wow, congrats to them! that is one heck of an accomplishment.

thanks for sharing, and if possible i would like to see the video uploaded on YouTube