Thread: Help with a Kenai King Ugly Stick needed

Default Help with a Kenai King Ugly Stick needed

I need to buy a spinning rod for kings on the Kenai. We are going to be hitting the Kenai for kings in July. We will be mostly drifting spin n glow with eggs. I know that an Ugly Stick may not be the best out there but i dont want to spend a ton as i will only be using it for a few days and Ugly Sticks are a good value. i have the spinning reel for it already. Its a Fin Nor OFS65 reel that i have taken some good size sharks with off of a peir and i just need a rod. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I need to buy a spinning rod for kings on the Kenai. We are going to be hitting the Kenai for kings in July. We will be mostly drifting spin n glow with eggs. I know that an Ugly Stick may not be the best out there but i dont want to spend a ton as i will only be using it for a few days and Ugly Sticks are a good value. i have the spinning reel for it already. Its a Fin Nor OFS65 reel that i have taken some good size sharks with off of a peir and i just need a rod. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    You just need an official shopper when our Sportsman's Show hits in the spring...I got an Ugly Stick last year for $12.00. Caught a couple of kings on it over the summer, too, although this particular rod would be a tad light for the big guns in the Kenai. Look up "ugly stick kenai" on google and see what happens....I know Lamiglas makes a Kenai King rod...

Just stroll into Trustworthy Hardware and buy the right one when you arrive. That way you don't have to pack it up... esp with all the new airline restrictions on checked bags.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I agree with fNp. Trustworthy Hardware is the best place to buy anything Kenai related. It never ceases to amaze me how their prices are lower than any of the box stores/catalog companies.

Good call on the Soldotna hardware store. i looked them up online and they do have great prices. Now i just need to figure out what i need! I would much rather buy it up there as i want my dollars going to AK than Nebraska.

Default Berkeley

Trustworthy sells a ton of the Berkeley IM7. Cost is usually around 70-80$. They sometimes have blowout sales on Lamiglass rods too. Anyway, if you go that way, and don't want to take it home with you, selling it here will be no problem. I have seen European fishermen give away there gear just bought gear to clear space for more fish to take home.
    I think most will agree with me that Trustworthy has what you need to fish anything on the peninsula and are great hometown people.

I am not taking any of the gear i have bought home. I am going to leave it with my buddies who live in AK. I do have one question. Most of the salmon rods i see are only rated for 20lb line. Thats not a very heavy rod. for doing battle with a 40-50+ King that seems very light! Now throw in a little current and its game on! I caught a 21lb pike on 4lb line but it took me over an hour and i had it in deep water with no current and no structure to tangle in. How heavy of a rod do i need?

Yes, 20lb rating is a little light for fishing kings on the Kenai. The rods and line that I fish are usually rated for 25lb and 30lb test line.

I was in at Trusty one day and a man walked in with a rod that was in 4 pieces. He told Brian Miller that he just bought the rod yesterday and it broke when he was fishing for red salmon. Brian patiently sat there and listened to the guys tale and when he was finished he looked at the reel and said you can't be fishing with 80lb braid when a rod is rated for 20lb. You want your line to break and not your rod, hence the ratings. Brian smiled and gave him a new rod off the rack and said just make sure to change out your line the next time you're out fishing. Made me laugh but also was another great example of how they treat their customers at Trusty......

Default lighter isn't always worse

a 40# graphite tree trunk does wonders on the fast parts of the Kenai, but its really not necessary. I've pulled in 45#'ers fairly consistently with 7-8 weight fly rods, and bait casting rods rated at 15-25 lb's. and i only use power pro braided over 50#'s. buy rods with quality blanks. Go down the line of shimano's and look for im7's im8's and im9's. if you want to get the most out of your fishing experience, dont fish the kenai with a 2x4. power pro braidied will not break, and keep your drag loose and your rod wont either.

Default Great words

Plenty of good advice here. I too have netted many 50# kings with 12-18# rods and 15# mono line, but I was fishing out of a boat. My normal king rod, however is a Loomis HCR 1084 15-30# rod. While on the spendier side of things, the rod easily handles the big boys, heavy line and yet has a very soft and sensitive tip for running plugs and/or bait.

If you are fishing from the bank, use a 2X4 with 80# braid and a very strong quality reel, otherwise, you will likely be leaving your line with the fish, or breaking equipment.

Fishing kings from the bank on the Kenai is more of a hook 'em and winch 'em in. With the amount of traffic on this water super highway, if you allow your fish to peel out excessive line, across the water, your risk of either tangling with an angler on a boat or having your line cut by a passing prop is very high.

As far as the reel goes, I prefer a level wind bait casting reel. Nevertheless, it wasn't that many years ago that most people used spinning reels for kings on the Kenai. I believe the world record was caught with a spinning reel, as a matter of fact. You will find the line capacity to be limited and the drag not nearly as strong as a level wind. But, as long as you know the limitations (and it seems that you do if you have tangled with sharks), your spinning reel will do just fine.

Cheers

I will be fishing out of a boat. My reel will hold 225yrds of 50lb brad so i am going to drop it to 300yrd of 40lb power pro if that sounds right. That was my other question is what line to use out of a boat and how much line capacity you need.

Default watch out for mono

be carefull using mono on the heavier fished parts of the kenai because some of the more disgruntled fisherman will cast light weight braided over your mono and slice through it. you may never have an encounter with it, but its something to think about and happens alot more often, especially boat to boat. i get it all the time when i float down fly fishing

Default agreed

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I will be fishing out of a boat. My reel will hold 225yrds of 50lb brad so i am going to drop it to 300yrd of 40lb power pro if that sounds right. That was my other question is what line to use out of a boat and how much line capacity you need.
    When I use mono, I normally use 30# Big Game. It is plenty on a good rod with drag set good and in a boat. 40# braid should do just fine. Just remember that you don't have any give in the line, so all of that energy goes right to the rod and reel, where the stretch of the mono adds a little shock absorber.

Quote Originally Posted by g.r.p. View Post
    be carefull using mono on the heavier fished parts of the kenai because some of the more disgruntled fisherman will cast light weight braided over your mono and slice through it. you may never have an encounter with it, but its something to think about and happens alot more often, especially boat to boat. i get it all the time when i float down fly fishing
    The secret to crossed lines is to open the bail. It doesn't matter if you have mono or braid or if the other line is mono or braid... if you have a fish on and it tangles in a line, where the other guy doesn't cut away, simply let the fish run and it will saw through the other lines, but will not necessarily damage yours. This is a difficult thing, particularly if the other guy is not experienced... he will usually think that he has the fish on, and indeed his rod will feel like it... It is important for you to keep your cool, communicate and things usually work out just fine. I can remember only one time where I had any difficluty with another boat, but after some good communication, he finally cut away, but we lost the fish... He felt really bad about it.... it was just a fish... there are others in the water.

On the other hand, this year, I had an 8 year old girl connect with a hawg! It ran into another boat's lines and these guys (non-guided) were real pros... They reeled up the un-involved lines, and simply drifted with us. But then the fish continued to run and tangled with a motor on another boat.... we got that undone and was finally able to pursue the fish. The first boat cut his lines and followed us. We landed this 59pounder and returned the gear to the other boat with much gratitude.

So, chances are better than average that you will get a tangle if you fish long enough, and with proper communication, and willing participants the story often ends with success.

Cheers