View Poll Results: What do you think of newest BOG member Hoffman?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • He'll do great things for hunting in Alaska.

    3 18.75%
  • I'm scared to think about it.

    2 12.50%
  • I'm crossin' my fingers.

    11 68.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Hoffman newest BOG member, good or bad?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default Hoffman newest BOG member, good or bad?

    What do you think of the newest BOG member?
    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/614510.html

  2. #2

    Default

    Anybody who is pro-subsistence has my vote. In my opinion most for the board is behind the power curve when it come to really having an understanding about subsistence. This guy seems to have at least walked the walk. I give him a thumbs up for now.
    Chuck

  3. #3
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Anybody who is pro-subsistence has my vote. In my opinion most for the board is behind the power curve when it come to really having an understanding about subsistence. This guy seems to have at least walked the walk. I give him a thumbs up for now.
    I can see your point when looking at remote areas but in my opinion the Tier II system is a travesty on the road system. It is truly the Nelchina liars permit. I am not saying that there are not legitimate subsistence users there but that by and large the permits go to those with a fuzzy memory and who view the black and white of the "law" in various shades of gray. If Mr. Hoffman fights to protect that sham then I think it will be a big negative. Time will tell.

  4. #4
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Tier II/ What a travesty

    I have been hunting that area for 27 years and still don't qualify for a tier II permit. What is up with that?

  5. #5

    Default It's all politics

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I can see your point when looking at remote areas but in my opinion the Tier II system is a travesty on the road system. It is truly the Nelchina liars permit. I am not saying that there are not legitimate subsistence users there but that by and large the permits go to those with a fuzzy memory and who view the black and white of the "law" in various shades of gray. If Mr. Hoffman fights to protect that sham then I think it will be a big negative. Time will tell.
    Tier II has little relationship to subsistence it came from courts and pencil pushers who are clueless, Tier II is politics period. There is little resemblance to
    AS 16.05.258. Subsistence Use and Allocation of Fish and Game and 5 AAC 92.070. Tier II subsistence hunting permit point system. Alaska statutes set the parameters, the Admin Codes are determined by the BOG/BOF. The BOG puts more credence in history and specific game populations than an actual dependence or mainstay of livelihood.

    A lot of people believe McDowell said all Alaskans are subsistence users it actually it said all Alaskans are potential subsistence users. It also threw out priority by proximity but said it was OK for the state to set up non-subsistence areas based on social and economic factors. This is where my gripe is I live in the TM565 hunt area in 16 typically over 75% of the Tier II permits go to unit 14 hunters. Unit 14 has sport season for moose, they have other sources of food. They don't have a direct dependence as a mainstay of livelihood if they weren't allowed to hunt over here they would still have a reasonable chance to get a moose in their backyard . Yet there are people living out here who can't get Tier II permits because they haven't lived out here long enough to get points for a hunting history. Theses same people because there is no Safeway, no Costco, or no Chevron out here have to fly to Anchorage to buy the groceries and fuel then have to pay big bucks to get it home. Because we buy our food and fuel in Anchorage get no points for those two categories.

    I know a lot of you out there don't any use for the federal subsistence but at least those people get to argue for their subsistence rights twice a year if you live or hunt state land you only have that opportunity once every four years. The best thing that could happen to subsistence would be to get the politics out it, I figure that will happen about the second Tuesday of next week.






    Chuck

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    What do you think of the newest BOG member?
    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/614510.html

    What do y-o-u think of the appointment?

    I agree with hiline:

    "Anybody who is pro-subsistence has my vote. In my opinion most for the board is behind the power curve when it come to really having an understanding about subsistence. This guy seems to have at least walked the walk. I give him a thumbs up for now."


  7. #7

    Default

    Badddd News for the BOG. His presence on the board was out of demand by a few vocal special interest minded individuals. With a start like that and expectations from supporters, it sets a very bad stage for the play to be carried out on. He will be a thorn is the side of the board.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Badddd News for the BOG. His presence on the board was out of demand by a few vocal special interest minded individuals. With a start like that and expectations from supporters, it sets a very bad stage for the play to be carried out on. He will be a thorn is the side of the board.
    Got any specifics? Not being sarcastic just like to know no one seems to much about him.
    Chuck

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default me

    Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    What do y-o-u think of the appointment? ..."
    Thanks for asking, Avalanche - - - I think there's a possibility that Hoffman might think more favorably about the TIER 2 system than I do... but I don't know enough about this and I'd like to hear more.

    Since it has some effect on those here, and because many here know a lot, I just thought I'd ask. I suspect there's more to be said, than has been said so far in this thread.

    I'm all ears.

  10. #10

    Default

    Ya, if someone knows something speak up. I can't find anything about this guy anywhere. Who are all these mysterious "vocal special interest minded individuals"? Inquiring minds like to know. I hope coming out of Bethel and before that McGrath his attitude about subsistence will be more traditional and less in line with the warped politically motivated Teir II joke.
    Last edited by hiline; 12-09-2008 at 08:04. Reason: Spelling
    Chuck

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Ya, if someone knows something speak up. I can't find anything about this guy anywhere. Who are all these mysterious "vocal special interest minded individuals"? Inquiring minds like to know. I hope coming out of Bethel and before that McGrath his attitude about subsistence will be more traditional and less in line with the warped politically motivated Teir II joke.
    This has been in the news for some time, and we knew it was coming. Have you not heard the rantings? There was even much talk of it at the last two AFN Conventions. Many demands in Letters to the Editor's of every major newspaper in Alaska. If you are willing to give up your hunting rights and priveleges to either "traditional or politically motivated" individuals, that is your right to do so. I oppose both. Equal opportunity is the only method of fish and game allocation, that I will support, NOTHING LESS. That said, I will play the other game, because that is what we have, but I will not support it.

    If you truly believe that "traditional" methods are being employed, you really need to get out to the bush more often, and see it happen first hand. Perhaps you might change your opinion, and then again maybe not. But it is important to witness what is happening, in order to form an opinion.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12

    Default

    you really need to get out to the bush more often
    I'm betting I live farther out in the bush than most "traditional" Tier II hunters. I also don't see anything "traditional" about Tier II winter snow machine hunts either or Tier II in it present condition either.

    I don't do TV or get the ADN delivered to my front door, and I can't stand to listen to self inflated wind bags on the radio. The only way I get news is on online. That is why I asked about him. Saying the AFN is pushing him in and of itself is not bad. What specifically is his/their agenda?
    Chuck

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    I'm betting I live farther out in the bush than most "traditional" Tier II hunters. I also don't see anything "traditional" about Tier II winter snow machine hunts either or Tier II in it present condition either.

    I don't do TV or get the ADN delivered to my front door, and I can't stand to listen to self inflated wind bags on the radio. The only way I get news is on online. That is why I asked about him. Saying the AFN is pushing him in and of itself is not bad. What specifically is his/their agenda?
    Well, it is hard to keep up with agendas, if you are unable or unwilling to listen in on, attend meetings or watch the groups in action. AFN, Local Advisory Boards to F&G and many others (to include each and every individual) all have an agenda. The common trait among them, is they want special priveleges and top social economic status. They want to be the Have's and not the Have Not's. They want others to be the bottomfeeders, while they skim the cream from the top.

    I see you are very down on Tier II. Do you then, support the use of snowmachines, planes, bulldozers, walkie talkies, ariel spotting or any other modern technological means and methods for "traditional" (your term, as you suggest this new member to the BOG will somehow help this cause along) Subsistence Hunting and Fishing? To focus on Tier II and not the rest, seems shortsighted to me.

    BTW, your place of residence has no bearing on your status or classification. Some realize that, but I thought I would clarify it for others.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14

    Default

    I see you are very down on Tier II. Do you then, support the use of snowmachines, planes, bulldozers, walkie talkies, ariel spotting or any other modern technological means and methods for "traditional" (your term, as you suggest this new member to the BOG will somehow help this cause along) Subsistence Hunting and Fishing? To focus on Tier II and not the rest, seems shortsighted to me.
    Don't suppose you could show me where I suggested any of those methods as traditional. And traditional is not my term I use it to be sarcastic when I reference it to Tier II since that is how the courts decided that is what Tier II points should be based on.
    Chuck

  15. #15
    Member arrowslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Hiline, I'm betting you're right. If you don't have an anchorage, palmer, or wasilla address you win. Didn't you know thes areas are the subsistence hub of the state.

    The terms Tier II and traditional and customary use are slung around in arguments so much now that nobody takes it seriously. Especially in the areas that those terms are used on roadside hunts.

  16. #16
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    I have been hunting that area for 27 years and still don't qualify for a tier II permit. What is up with that?
    Me too. Drew a Nelchina permit in 1984 (group tag with my dad) and haven't hunted it since. Been moose hunting in Unit 13 since 1990 too.

    Tim

  17. #17
    Member arrowslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Didn't any of you get in on the registration hunt around paxson in the early 90's (90 or 91 maybe 89) That backfired on them. Sure there are enough critters. The very next year it was a scramble because they had to figure a way to rebuild the herd.

  18. #18
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default Crossin' my fingers...

    Finally had time to read the article. Wow. He's purely a political appointment. He got the job because he's Native, not because he's the most qualified candidate. Scary. Sounds like he has reasonable credentials, but a nomination based on race is ugly.

    Tim

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Finally had time to read the article. Wow. He's purely a political appointment. He got the job because he's Native, not because he's the most qualified candidate. Scary. Sounds like he has reasonable credentials, but a nomination based on race is ugly.

    Tim
    I am crossing my fingers as well. Hopefully the rest of the Board will be able to keep him reigned in. Rep for recognizing it for what it is.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    7

    Default BOG Seats

    I think we can reasonably argue that in Alaska its stupid to think we could have a BOG WITHOUT a native having at least one seat.

    Pre stinking oil we had as many as 4 or 5 natives on the BOG! Ah but that was pre stinky oil and before all the wining republicans moved up that love a REPRESENTATIVE democracy - one that represents their special interests - one that can be bought and paid for. God Bless America!

    While I support whole heartedly native participation on the BOG I do question Hoffmans credentials. A commercial hunting guide is not going to help the native community where it needs it the most on the BOG. In my opinion of course. Hoffman was plucked up by the AOC and handed to Palin on a silver platter I suspect.

    Give me one of those savvy old elders. But, I understand if none of them can stomach the BOG. Wisdom is not that boards strongest asset. And when confronted with it they are usually confused by it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •