Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Hilleberg Owner

Talking Another Hilleberg Owner

Well, after literally a year of "analysis paralysis" as AKCub puts it, I finally pulled the trigger on a new Hilleberg. First I wanted the Staika or Nallo 3GT but was unsure about a tunnel vs free standing, then they came out with the Allak- the lightweight Staika which AKCub bought, used and returned before I even got to see it! But he then bought the Nallo 3 GT which I had the pleasure of using with him last year sheep hunting. That absolutely sold me on Hilleberg tents. The tent just reeks of quality and attention to detail and is awesome, I don't think a guy can go wrong with ANY Hilleberg tent. Then comes the issue of counting ounces. I seriously considered the Jannu which a couple other guys around here have and like. Bottom line I guess for me personally I am willing to cary and extra pound or two for a bomber freestanding tent with a little more room, I'll shave some weight elsewhere. So, I ordered a red one of these...

The Hilleberg Tarra- 8.5lbs of pure heaven on a stormy mountain
    Tarra

Someones bunker for a stormy night...

Ahh, a Jannu with a back door. Nice. You'll love it.

Congrats Perry, the Hillebergs are sweet arent they! And to anyone who says 8.5lbs is too heavy for a sheep tent, hasn't seen Perry in the mountains....he's a machine! I think he carries like 30lbs of food for a 5 day hunt and it slows him down none!....grin

Welcome to the club. It is an awesome feeling to know that you have the best. I went through many tents before I finally ponied up the $$ for my hilleberg Nallo 4 GT (need space for the whole family!). I now covet no mans tent! Well at least not 3 seasons of the year, I do still want an AO for winter camping!

Default Cant beat this 3 season tent!!

Eureka 3 season 2 man Free Standing Tent This one is also 8.5 pounds. Done sheep, moose and caribou hunts with it!!

Ive also been looking at getting a Hilliberg, But I just cant justify getting one until this eureka gets old!!

Congrats on the newby!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Ahh, a Jannu with a back door. Nice. You'll love it.
    Exactly, plus an extra pole, 10mm poles and the Kerlon 1800 fabric and a thicker floor. I could have gone either way with the fabric though. After spending some time in Cubs Nallo I can see that the Kerlon 1200 is tough fabric. I figured the extra 2.5 lbs is worth the extra room and geodesic feestanding dome. The only thing is it's 14 ft long!! But, I figure if I get in a tight spot I really don't need to stretch out one of the vestibules.

Now I'm thinking about a nice light down bag and a jetboil instead of my XGK! I could shave about 3 pounds! It never stops...

Default Congrats

I am sold on Hilleberg after purchasing and using the Kaitum 2. I have not had a single condensation issue, and that was the only negative point I could find when researching them. Got the MSR Reactor last fall and will soon add the Marmot Helium bag to save some extra pounds. I've heard they are making carbon fiber toothbrush handles now:-)LOL Seriously though, you can have some carbon fiber poles made up for your tent and shave some extra weight. http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles.htm
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Snyd,

That thing looks sweet. While I am all set for 3 season tents and I have an AO. I do think that a Nallo 3GT is in my future somehow. I'm not the machine in the mountains you are so I'll save the pounds there. Just need to convince the wife of this. Maybe a trip flyout trip to Kodiak. I'll just tell her that Hilleberg is the only tent maker that has been proven to repel brown bears.

You know when a guy looks at true 4 season 2 man geodesic mountaineering tents, with the exception of single wall tents, they run about 9 lbs and up but do not have the room or features of the Hillebergs like the Tarra, or Staika. Like the Trango 2, TNF Mountain 25, Marmot Thor 2P, MSR Asgard, etc. But, then again, these are all about half the price of the Hillies also

I figure that the Tarra at about 8.5 is actually pretty light for this category. And the Hilly weights include all stakes, guylines, pole repair sleeve and extra pole section. Hilleberg says inner/out and poles weigh 7lbs 12 oz. The main feature that grabs me though is the exoskeleton design. With poles in the fly lots of issues go away, like a flappy fly in the wind that can tear, (plus it's quieter), a drenched inner tent when setting up in the rain, etc. I had a high tech TNF single wall tent (think bibler) that was bomber but it was kind of a pain to pitch with the inner poles. Very quiet in the wind but condensation was an issue.

The Tarra is actually replacing this tent. TNF Apogee single wall. The Tarra is about 2 lbs lighter.

Default Just curious...

Why did AK Cub return his Allak? It looked pretty darn nice to me in his previous write up. Was there some issue that came up?

No no issue, I just wanted something with more room. The Nallo 3 GT is like a mansion compared to the Allak, and yet it is lighter than the Allak.

How is a Nallo GT to set up compared to the Staika or Allak? Part of why I chose the Jannu was how easy it was to set up by myself in bad conditions. I haven't been disappointed. I have no experience with the other models. I do have a North Face tunnel tent and while it isn't hard to set up, it's not nearly as easy or fast as a Jannu. In fact nothing about my North Face tent is better than a Jannu.

Deciding to buy a Hilleberg was simple. Deciding which Hilleberg was really hard!

Deciding to buy a Hilleberg was simple. Deciding which Hilleberg was really hard!

Isn't that the truth!

Pid that Nallo goes up in a heartbeat! Snyd and I were heading up this drainage and we turned around and saw some nasty weather coming our way, we kept hiking. Then all of a sudden it was one of those dude.....we need to put the tent up, the wind was wipping and the rain was coming. We literallly had the tent up and our stuff out of the storm in no time. We sat inside there laying on our backs in a soft patch of tundra discussing how awesome it was to throw the tent up so quickly and effortlessly and escape bad weather. With the tunnel designs, all you have to do is stake the leeward end down (2 stakes), and then pull the downwind end tight and stake it down (2 stakes) and then one guy can slide the poles through and the you pull the tensioners and your done. I can set that baby up in about a minute without guy lines, and since the tent body is seperate, but pre attached from the inside, the inside never gets wet. Never have I been so impressed with a tent and what it offers.

I have the Nallo 4 GT and I can set it up alone easily. For a tunnel design it seems to want to stand up. Just like cub said, to stakes in one end then pull the other end tight and it stands right up. Great to have plenty of room to store all your gear and cook in the vestibule!

How is a Nallo GT to set up compared to the Staika or Allak? Part of why I chose the Jannu was how easy it was to set up by myself in bad conditions. I haven't been disappointed. I have no experience with the other models. I do have a North Face tunnel tent and while it isn't hard to set up, it's not nearly as easy or fast as a Jannu. In fact nothing about my North Face tent is better than a Jannu.

"Deciding which Hilleberg was really hard!" Man you said it! What a good problem to have though huh?!

Ya, I was really close to buying that Jannu. But, I don't do much solo stuff and if I do I have a bivi/tent that's pretty decent. Anyway, like Cub said it was way cool to be able to pitch that Nallo and be inside that vestibule with our packs in about the amount of time it would have taken to don the rain gear and put the pack covers on! It was literally that quick.

Here's a pic of someone setting up a Tarra, should be similar to your Jannu. Can't wait to get this rascal and check it out first hand. I may just have to set it up in the snow to check it out.

Default Hillebergs

I have had many highend mountain tents and spent sometimes 4-6 weeks living in them in very severe weather. I bought a Hilleberg Saivo in green as part of my hunting base camp, then a red Soulo and then a green Soulo as my buddy just HAD to have the red one and Hille was out of stock on them. So, I now have the green ones and am seriously contemplating buying a green Jannu as a "satellite" tent or for solo flyins where every ounce counts.

My impression of them is that they are the BEST tents in all respects I have ever used and I will not buy anything else in future. The Saivo is beyond belief in it's security and comfort for a solo hunter and, if you can deal with the approx. 10 lb. weight by use of horses, jet boats or whatever, it is the way to go. I have the large Hille. tarp with mine and a footprint and prefer using this setup to anything.

They also make a bigger tent, the Atlas and this is my idea of a serious basecamp tent, especially with something like a Mr. Heater to keep it warm/dry in foul weather. I have considered one of these, but, they are kinda pricey and really best suited to groups.

Default Great endorsement for Hilleberg tents

Excellent writeups on this brand of tent. I definitely have to consider the Hilleberg tents as I am due for some replacements soon, I need to research the weight issues though. I've used a NF VE-25 and an REI Expedition 4 Geodome for the last 10 years for base camp with my spikes (which actually see more use) have been an Integral Design, a Bibler I tent and a Black Diamond First Light. Always looking to upgrade! Who do you purchase your Hilles from?

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Timber,

Checkout this link. There are great pics and specs of the Hillies. I bought mine direct from Hilleberg. Look at the Saivo as a replacement for the VE-25 if you want to stay with a self supporting dome tent. Otherwise there are many tunnels that will do the job for you. Look at the Soulo, Unna, Akto or even Jannu or Alak as spike camps
    moontrail.com Hilleberg

Default Hille source

I have bought three Hilles, one of my ID tents, my Hille tarp, my Valandre Shocking Blue sleeping bag, the finest bag I have ever had, used or seen and some other stuff, such as my Montbell Thermawrap Ultralight jacket from a dealer in Utah. Considering that I live in BC, this demonstrates, IMHO, what an excellent person to deal with he is.

I highly recommend www.bearriveroutfitters.com, Mr. Charlie Jennings at 435-764-1111 for Hille gear and other highend stuff.

I buy local from Barney Bob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast