Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .338 accuracy?

Default .338 accuracy?

I have been "lurking" for a good while, now I have a question for you guys. I recently purchased a used Savage .338 WinMag 110-E with a Leupold 3-9X. Problem with it is at 100 yds it will not group at all. Shots are scattered across the paper in absolutely random order. I am using factory Federal Premium 250gr soft point. Found no cracks in the stock, barrel not touching any part of the stock, some copper fouling noted but not bad, scope is tight. Are .338's that picky with bullet weight? What else do I need to check before I pull the scope?

First thing I would do is make sure all the action screws are snug as well as scope mounts and bases.

Also try a different brand of ammo.

I have seen 338's group well with one ammo but pattern with other ammo.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have on older 110 with a laminate stock and had issues with it for awhile the base on it never really sit right on it...i wound up pulling the scope and just using the iron sights ,,,, one day i may take it in and have a pro check it all out but i doubt it as i have a few other 338 already.. that savage with the sites. is my truck/camper/toss and grab gun..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Is the scope new? Have you checked all the screws for the mounts and rings? I've owned a Savage .338 S/S for 15 years. I've never had a problem. I'd check the scope first. All rifles prefer one weight bullet over others. If you're lucky a rifle may shoot more than one well.

Default .338 groups

Your .338 needs to group tighter, or it needs to be gone.

My go-to-guide-gun is a .338 because that paticular gun always groups well even after the hell I put it through 8 weeks per year.

Check out all the usual suspects involveing accuracy. Just like rouge bears, bandit humans, and trucks built/assembled on super-bowl sunday, if it does not behave within expectations, it needs to be gone.....IMO

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

come to think of it... i did once have a scope that went bad... it always appeared in good shape and i did have random paper hits some would be 10-14 inches off... there is some sort of recoil spring thingy in there. and occasionally the cross hair will move in it's stops...one day i was trying to zero it again and after the third shot the cross hair was turned about 30deg.. i sent it back to the manufacturer and they replaced it no questions asked...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I can run 3/4 MOA with my Ruger .338 with federal 225gr. Have a pro check the barrel/stock. Possibly bed it.

My dad has a model 70 .300 win mag that did the same for some reason even out of the box. I couldn't sight it in or shoot the broad side of a barn until i had it re-bed.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Most Savage rifles have pretty good to even excellent accuracy out of the box. I think your barrel is already free-floated. I'll echo the advice to check your bedding screws...then I'd start to be suspicious of the scope.
    Trying a different brand of ammo is also an easy thing to try. Good luck

1. Remove all copper fowling: wet-brush, dry swabs several times until clean.

2. If it has iron sights: shoot it three times at the target, and if the three shots are far apart from each other, remove the scope, and shoot three using the iron sights. Keep in mind that the best way to do this is by using a rifle vise/rest.

3. If it does not have iron sights, have another scope with you, and try that one after shooting three shots using the scope already on the rifle. This will tell you if the problem is with the scope, or with the rifle. You have to figure which one of the two is the problem first. Copper fouling can cause accuracy problems in some rifles. The usual pattern is kind of round, like a shotgun shot spread on the target. At least that's what was happening to my Ruger rifle a long time ago. The fix was a thorough brushing and cleaning.

I had a Simmons go bad on a Browning 338, A-Bolt and a Burris on a 375 H&H Browning A-Bolt. They both shot 3-5" random groups. Cured both with a Nikon and a VX II. Good luck.

Default Scope

Check the Scope thoroughly for damaged/broken cross hairs .... I had one with the same symptoms and that's what I found wrong with mine.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default ditto on the scope

Make sure the action screws are tight (except the middle one, just barely snug) then check the rings and bases for tightness. be careful of overtighteining the rings, they have to be tight, but too tight can crush the tube (don't ask how I know!!) if they are all appropriately tight.... grab the rifle in one hand and the scope in the other and see if you can wiggle it. I've seen this be an issue before. IF the screws are tight AND it wiggles, shoot me a PM and I'll work with you on getting it fixed up.

Strip the bore of all carbon and copper. I used Barnes CR10 or Sweets 762 in the past, but have changed to gunslick foaming bore cleaner. It's much less time consuming, less messy and doesn't damage the bore like ammonia will.

Lock the rifle down at the range with a good rest and support the butt with sandbags so there is NO wiggle or shake at all. Use one point of aim and send 3 to 5 rounds down range using good trigger finger discipline and see what you get.

EVEN with loads that my rifle hates, I can get sub 4" groups. Except when I fell on my scope this season..... couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with loads that normally shoot sub 3/4" all day long.

If you're getting a somewhat decent group, use the adjustment turrets to move your point of impact 6" in ONE direction and send another 3 to 5 down range.

IF you're shooting a 12 gauge group, it's more than likely the scope OR you're flinching like crazy. Either one is fixable. I've rambled long enough, if you want/need more help or need a hand on the range shoot me a PM.

Mike

OK... Sounds like a fun day at the range tomorrow, no iron sights on the "monster" so I will try another scope. The rifle is an old one but looks like decent care was taken of it. As for the flinching... Well... Uncle Sam's Driil Sergeants took care of that, years ago.
    Nurses... Bustin' ours... Savin' yours

Lots of good advice here!

You say its a used rifle. Try butches bore shine in the barrel.

I would also recommend a Sims Limbsaver for your stock and if your shooting off a bench it wouldnt hurt to use a PAST recoil shield.

I had to mess with a boat load of factory ammo before I found accurate shooters for my M70 .338. Wound up with Remington Swift-As (225gr).

I've got a Savage .338 F116FSAK (stainless synthetic, fluted barrell and muzzell break). I have shot all the brands and all the grains from factory loaded ammo. I have even shot some hand loaded bullets.

In the spitzer shaped bullets the rifle likes the 200 Winchester Power Points a lot, and other bullets up to 225 grains. I have shot Alaska Bullet Works handloaded 250 and 275 grainers and stiff flew all over the paper.

In some handloaded older type round nose bullets my father in-law has some 250 and maybe 300 grain bullets that the rifle likes.

I remeber reading in a magazine that rifle manufacturers of the past 10-15 years have been pushing/promoting bullet speed (fps) and have correspondingly led to making the barrel twist shoot the more arerodynamic spitzer bullets but in a lighter grain bullet only.

As you can see it is harder and harder to find round nose bullets in factory loads so the manufacturer has changed the rifling to a different twist.

Also try shooting off a good rest like sandbags or shooting bags or etc. I am not the worlds best shot nor do I spend a lot of time at the range but I am a better shot than most fellow hunters and I know that what all my rifles like to shoot and that the guns are accurate (all stock by the way) so when I miss while hunting its my fault.

Muzzle Crown can be a problem. Recrowning often helps, can be a DIY job or your favorite gun smith.

You'rre getting lots of info about what can make a rifle shoot poorly but I need more info. I don't know what "scattered across the paper" means but It is all but impossible for ammo to be worse than a two inch group from a rifle in good shooting condition. What I mean by that is it has to be the gun (to include sighting equipment) or the shooter (normally the weakest link in the accuracy chain). I'm not a fan of the Savage bolt gun but they rarely have accuracy problems unless there is something broken. I have seen the barrel nut loose which makes for atrocious accuracy, and of course as has been mentioned, the scope or the mounts (more likely than the scope).

If you are an accomplished rifleman and handle large caliber recoil well, assuming good bench technique, there is no reason to shoot groups greater than 2" at 100 yards. Honestly few of us can consistantly do much better with the bigger calibers. The 338 Win, though not a heavy recoiler, can reshape a shooters group if not accustomed to the recoil.

The greatest concern with the Savage when very poor accuracy is the issue would be the barrel nut as it could also lead to a dangerous situation from excess headspace. This is a probabliity as the rifle is used and could have been abused.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murf took the words right out of my mouth.

Went to the range, even with the wind blowing hard quartering toward me 3 groups at 100 yrds average 2.5". Must have been the copper fouling. THANX for the words of wisdom and encouragement. Will update after a calm day...
    Nurses... Bustin' ours... Savin' yours

You should be able to get at least 1.5" groups at 100yds with factory ammo. That at least is my "out of the box" minimum standard for a factory rifle shooting factory ammo. Maybe I am picky but, I don't think so.

That being said I have a Ruger M77 .338WM, I handload primarily 225grn Nosler Partitions at 2800fps, with a 1.5x5 Leupold VXIII. The action and barrel are factory but I glass bedded and free floated it into a synthetic stock. It will shoot under an inch all day and I have targets with keyhole groups between .5" and .75". If it had a scope with higher magnification and a finer crosshair I am sure those groups would tighten up even more. I can say this for every single rifle I own and load for.

Unless your barrel is shot out or suffered neglect, I would expect accuracy can be improved quite a bit. It may take a new scope, free floating/glass bedding, handloading, recrown, bolt lug lapping, etc. Much depends on your interest, patience and knowledge, or wallet, if you choose to pay a gunsmith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast