Thread: I'd like to spend some time....

Default I'd like to spend some time....

Flying around Kotz with Walt, at least a 4 seater
    Floating with Mike, slowly-in deep water
    Checking a line(Freezing my ____ off) with That Rat Guy,
    Stumbling down a ridge 400 yards behind Stid
    Helping A D with his new house,
    Figuring out how a guy with my social skills has no(zero,zip,nada)friends
    I am just sittin in an apt in Maryland wishin I was elsewhere.
    I have a bunch more
    Not soliciting, just saying, what would you like to do?

Wink take care of you...

It sounds to me like you need to take care of you a little more. Get out of the apartment in Maryland and go for a jog or go to the gym. That way, while working out in Maryland you can go to Alaska in your mind. Mentally prepare for your next trip to the great white north while your physically maintaining or upgrading your fitness level.
    Or get a book and, again, go to Alaska in your mind. While I have no connection with Mike S. other than this forum and one common friend, get his book. It is a very comprehensive and complete book of rafting in Alaska. It you can't be here rafting with him, then prepare for a float trip for yourself. Include him only if your toughest hunting partner foolishly backs out of the hunt.
    I already hiked six miles on the Anchorage hillside snow-trails today. Its time to go to the gym and continue preparing for next years sheep hunt!

It works for me anyway...

Dennis B.
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Default Dating Alaska

Thanks for the post and the encouragement.
    Alaska and I have been dating for the last 8 years off and on.
    My wife and I have been there 3 times in 4 years and I have 3 hunts in addition to that. Last year was a blast, floated for moose unsuccessfully.
    Bought 8 acres 2 years ago and looked at it this spring, fantastic!
    Bought Mike's book and have read it 3 times. Bought Larry's book and read it 3 times. Does Walt have a book?
    I am always daydreaming about Alaska. My co-workers and my boss are tired of hearing about it. I am a fat slob who could stand to lose some girth, you got me there(do you have photos?)
    I forgot that I would like to have dinner with Berto, he helped me get my gear back this fall and I owe him big time!
    I am seriously considering quitting my day job and heading north this spring with my wife. Got an idea for a start-up career that would keep me in Alaska at least 6 months a year...

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Thanks for the post and the encouragement.
    Alaska and I have been dating for the last 8 years off and on.
    My wife and I have been there 3 times in 4 years and I have 3 hunts in addition to that. Last year was a blast, floated for moose unsuccessfully.
    Bought 8 acres 2 years ago and looked at it this spring, fantastic!
    Bought Mike's book and have read it 3 times. Bought Larry's book and read it 3 times. Does Walt have a book?
    I am always daydreaming about Alaska. My co-workers and my boss are tired of hearing about it. I am a fat slob who could stand to lose some girth, you got me there(do you have photos?)
    I forgot that I would like to have dinner with Berto, he helped me get my gear back this fall and I owe him big time!
    I am seriously considering quitting my day job and heading north this spring with my wife. Got an idea for a start-up career that would keep me in Alaska at least 6 months a year...
    Dude - where in maryland? Hike the Appalachian Trail a few miles every Sat and Sun with a light pack, to work some pounds off. And if you can get into the healthcare or construction fields, Alaska is a pretty good place for jobs...

Default Do like the rest of the outside...

Read "To Build A Fire" by Jack London to prepare for a hunt up the haul road for caribou in late October or November, then read some more of his stuff like "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" to prepare yourself for the wild lifestyle up here and the animals that are around the corner waiting to eat you alive...

Then come up here and ask where all the bears are and how come a decent moose is so hard to find....

Glad you've been up here hunting and with your wife a bunch already. Alaska is an addiction, where God put all the best stuff after he used the rest of the world to figure it out just right before he put it here. You've got friends, but it's a much longer trip to come over for dinner...

Fuse

Good thread, nik.

I'd like to spend some time...

...packrafting on a goat or sheep hunt with Alaska_Lanche.
    ...calling moose with Michael Strahan.
    ...chasing Sitka Blacktailed deer with BRWNBR.
    ...floating the Upper Kenai with alaskachuck.
    ...chasing Brooks Range rams with any number of fellas that have found recent success there.
    ...pulling shrimp posts with Daveinthebush.
    ...doing a walk-in death march for sheep with Synd.
    ...chasing bears with Stid2677 or Vince.
    ...catching rainbows on the Talarik with Alaska_Hippie.
    ...making some downhill turns with akbrownsfan.
    ...checking a trapline with trailblazersteve.
    ...exploring Southeast AK with 8x57 Mauser or kingfisherktn.
    ...hunting elk with fullkurl.
    ...chasing ptarmagin and hares with jmg and BucknRut.
    ...catching grayling with sodabiscuit12345.
    ...drinking a cocktail with bushrat while listening to stories.

Default You're too kind-

I have a bunch more
    Thanks for the kind words, Nikster. Next time you make it to the North Country look me up and let's see if we can float the upper Kenai or something.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile answers

OK, this time I'll answer the question The nikter asked....

...On the 4th Of July I'd to raft the "upper Kenai" for the 100 time with my wife and friends with the air temp over 70 degrees.
    ...I'd like to fish the "middle Kenai" more in October catching (and releasing) those 26 to 32 inch rainbows, perhaps with Mike S. And AK R&K Tracy....but its hard to get time off from my job in Oct.
    ...Solo, as usual, Id like to hike into a rough litttle canyon in the Wrangel Mountains that I call the bachalors hangout during a mid-September sheep hunt, and shoot ram #14 in the exact spot where I got rams #2, #3, #4 and #5....but nowadays I guide-outfit during that time.
    ...On a hot summer day I'd like to hike around some obsure rimrock high desert country in Wyoming and smell that Wyoming Silver Sage.
    ...On a crisp September Wyoming morning, I'd like to bugel in another 7X7 bull elk with my great friend Rich LaRocco from Utah.
    ....I'd like to hunt bighorn sheep in Montana with Rich LaRocco as my guide.
    ...I'd like to be the packer on an AK Peninsula brown bears with Master Guide Roger Morris and his grand kids
    ...I'd like to raft through the Grand Canyon, either with my boats or even on a commercial trip.
    ...I'd like to again see the colorfull fall leaves in New Hampshire with my wife.
    ...I'd like to see Disney World in Florida with my family.
    ...I'd like to attend and see an NLF football game, any two teams, other than the mentally soft Seahawks.
    ...I'd like to continue guding in Alaska with my friends and client-hunters for sheep, goats, and brown bears.
    ...I'm lucky up here in Alaska....Daily, I do stuff I like to do. If I could change anything, summers would be longer so I could go rafting more often. But, honestly if I would not change anything about Alaska if I had the power...except I do miss the smell of that WY Silver Sage.

Dennis B.
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Thumbs up hey there, nick

i was happy to help you with your gear this year, and i would be happy to help again anytime

since you mentioned it, it sounds like your gear made it home, which is good news. i hope it not only made it home to you, but that it was also in good shape when it arrived there!

you can keep dreaming about your next trip to AK, or you can take the plunge and make the move. the economy up here is strong and the outlook is good, so from that standpoint the time is right!

cheers

I have a bunch more

all or any of the above? lol... well cept helping with the house, doing the math for social skills and sitting in Maryland...

and don't fret Nick, i'm an old fat slob too but doesn't keep me off the mountain or out of the woods, kinda like my Dad used to say keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll eventually get there.

B