Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood/Blue Rifles in Sheep Mountains

Default Wood/Blue Rifles in Sheep Mountains

Does anybody regularly use wood and blued guns for sheep hunting and have you had real problems? I've done some hunts with wood/blue guns and some with ss/syth. One is a little easier to care for but overall no problems with either. The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at a nice trim little 308 that is wood and blue and would make a great mountain rifle. I know most folks now lean toward the ss/syth route and I'm trying to convince myself I'll be fine with a wood and blued gun.

Here's a Model 70 with metalwork by Ted Blackburn and stock by Jerry Fisher in the sheep mountains. I've killed relatively few animals in Alaska with a plastic stocked rifle. Having said that I've got a Model 70 being stocked by McMillan as we speak. I get a lot of pleasure out of hunting with a rifle like the one pictured here, but hauling around a rifle that costs as much as a good used truck can be an un-needed headache at times. I see no difference in field performance between wood and plastic stocked hunting rifles provided that the wood stock is properly made.

The one sheep hunt I took a blued rifle on, left it rusted badly upon return home. It was a very wet hunt, and it was near impossible to dry the rifle completely at any one point. I quickly decided that I would not use blued rifles for sheep hunting again. If the weather is fair I am sure you could maintain a blued gun, but if its a wet one...its just not worth it to me. When the stainless guns require so little maintenance.

Default blued

Wet? Try SE wet! Have not had a problem with blued rifles hunting in SE Alaska. Did not matter how wet, always packed an oily cloth and small bottle of oil in a ziplock. Dry as much as you can even if it's a sock, t-shirt whatever. Hit it with the oily cloth and have not had a problem. For inside the barrel put a piece of electricians tape over the end till you shoot. Some guys would shoot through it, but then you need a replacement piece.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default what did we

use before synthetic and blue
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Is SS and syn stock necessary for sheep hunting - no.
    Does it make life a lot easier - yes
    Does it allow one to concentrate more on sheep hunting and worry less about a wood and blue rifle - yes
    Is it more resistant to rust and scratches - yes
    Do I recommend a SS/syn stock for sheep hunting........yes.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Does it allow one to concentrate more on sheep hunting and worry less about a wood and blue rifle - yes
    That's a great summary of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post

Big ditto but my opinion doesn't really count, I hunt them with 2 sticks and a string.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default my take

You can put some grease on the outside parts and include a small amount of remoil in your field maintenance kit.

I hunt with both stainless and with blue/wood.

I don't think that it matters as much. However, if I was into goat hunting I would go ss/syn everytime.

Sincerely,

Thomas

I much prefer the SS/Synthetic route. Mountain hunting is hard on equipment and I don't want to think about spending time and effort on maintaining a wood/blued gun during a hunt. My sixish pound SS/Syn 7mm-08 looks a little beat up but it shoots just fine.

Alpine

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Here's a Model 70 with metalwork by Ted Blackburn and stock by Jerry Fisher in the sheep mountains. I've killed relatively few animals in Alaska with a plastic stocked rifle. Having said that I've got a Model 70 being stocked by McMillan as we speak. I get a lot of pleasure out of hunting with a rifle like the one pictured here, but hauling around a rifle that costs as much as a good used truck can be an un-needed headache at times. I see no difference in field performance between wood and plastic stocked hunting rifles provided that the wood stock is properly made.

Nice ram! What cal m70 & bullet choice?

Up to about thirty years ago wood and blue is what everyone used for everything.

Thanks for the replies. I agree with shphtr and his assessment. I was looking to see if anybody had any real failures from a wood/blue rifle. A little extra care and possibly some marks on a nice piece of wood are the main concerns I've heard. I can live with that. There doesn't seem to be a hugh disadvantage with wood/blue as long as the stock is properly bedded. They sure are nicer in the hand.

Weight and maintenance were the big things for me. My first trip in the mountains I hauled a Tang safety M77 7mm and I didn't have any problems with rust. I did get tired of lugging it around though. I ended up getting a Tikka T3 in 270 and it is light weight, fairly inexpensive and I don't think twice as I bust brush and crawl across rocks with it. If I didn't have the $$ for the Tikka though I can guarantee I would still be hauling that old Ruger up the mountain with a smile on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    Nice ram! What cal m70 & bullet choice?
    Thanks for the compliment. .270 Win and 150 Nosler Partition.

Rifles were made for hunting, not for keeping in the safe. I've used both syn and wood stocked rifles and have no qualms with hunting with either. I've had 1 rifle get rusty on me and that was my fault, I left it in my gun boot for a couple of weeks and didn't know there was water in it. A little Rem oil on some cloth put in a zip lock bag will prevent that from happening.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Up to about thirty years ago wood and blue is what everyone used for everything.
    Yea, I wonder how we ever took any game without having SS/Syn rifles??
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Gun Care

My only rifle is a synthetic stocked, blued barrel Rem. 700. I replaced the wood stock after I noted a change in point of impact during a winter caribou hunt where temps dipped way into the minus range. I take it hunting for everything and do minimal maintenance in the field. I tape the barrel. I usually had some minor surface rusting after a long wet hunt that I could remove easily. Best thing I ever did for my blued barrel is coat it with flat black rustoleum. This has eliminated 90% of the minor rust I used to get and it reduces the glare of my rifle. I now live in SE and I'm still getting along fine with the blued barrel, just have to be a little more diligent.

Default Vote for SS & Synthetic

I don't hunt sheep but I do use SS & Syn stocks on all my hunting rifles. It just makes life more simple - I don't spend any time thinking about my rifle.

As far as the comments about what we did before - those relate to any advancement you might think of. Those of us who are old (and maybe wise) give up on the old equipment when something superior comes along. Heck, I don't even use iron sights any more.

Default Iron Sights

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I don't hunt sheep but I do use SS & Syn stocks on all my hunting rifles. It just makes life more simple - I don't spend any time thinking about my rifle.

As far as the comments about what we did before - those relate to any advancement you might think of. Those of us who are old (and maybe wise) give up on the old equipment when something superior comes along. Heck, I don't even use iron sights any more.
    I would use iron sights on occassion if I could, but my eyes dont do 3 planes of focus anymore Reading glasses with a scope does workl, however
    NRA Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast