Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Suggestion on where to scavenge antlers

  1. #1

    Default Suggestion on where to scavenge antlers

    Hello, I'm new to Anchorage (new to Alaska for that matter) and I'm interested in hiking. I just bought some snowshoes and thought if I'm going to break them in why not do it where i may run across moose antlers. Sounds like beginning of Jan is the when but where should I be looking? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    I would look where the moose was when his antlers fell off.

  3. #3

    Default well

    I would suggest putting those snowshoes to good use and exploring a bit. Find some resources and learn about where moose like to hang while they are replenishing fat reserves.

    The last thing we need is 400 forum members out running around wintering moose. This is a crucial time for the survival of moose. The best time to look is actually in the spring, all of the antlers are on the ground, days are longer, moose have moved to summering areas and you can still snowshoe.

  4. #4
    Member Berto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    336

    Default ...

    ...and usually in spring there is less snow so you can actually see the small bones on the ground...whitepalm never finds small ones, so this does not apply to him

  5. #5
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    There was an article in the Anch newspaper about all the bull moose up on powerline pass, but that was in Nov. Might be a place to look.
    Rather than post here and scare all the other members who might be antler scavengers.........call F&G and tell Rick Sinnot how much of an animal lover you are and ask him for suggesstions on shed hunting.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  6. #6

    Default

    I must say, thank you for educating me about moose. I had no idea that this was such a critical time. Here I am new to alaska totally oblivious to the plight of the moose. I had no idea that my presence could endanger them. I'm almost afraid to leave my home since they hang out just beyond my front door.
    Theres 1600 in the anchorage bowl, theres plenty for everyone.

  7. #7

    Default moose

    Your welcome. It is not so much your presence as it is your presence plus whoever else decides to join you coupled with the fact that it is shaping up to be one of the snowier winters we've had of in recent years. I much prefer finding antlers over ribcages. I only wanted people to be responsible with their answers.

    This morning I came on a pack of 5 wolves (4black 1gray) eating a shed out bull, a bull that I glassed on the hoof yesterday from a mile or so away. I got some video and pics after the wolves dipped out. So take the number Rick gave you and subtract one. Good luck, with this much snow you'll need it but if persistant you'll be rewarded.

  8. #8

    Default

    Two things
    one, if I wait to spring won't antlers begin to rot?
    two, were you planning to post the wolf pics anywhere?

  9. #9
    Premium Member Wyo2AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spenard
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    No, the antlers won't rot by spring. For proof I offer this pic of a shed my buddy found while we were hunting cows near Delta this October. Prime brown antler, and it'd been laying there for 10 months.


    I used to hunt for sheds a lot in Wyoming (and my dad is a certified crazed fanatic) and we had just as much snow and rain as the Anchorage bowl. It takes a couple of years (at least) for antlers to rot... you have to be more worried about mice, voles, or porcupines chewing/eating the antlers up for the nutrients, but that's not such a concern when they're covered in a couple feet of snow. They'll still be there in the spring.

    You're probably not going to get anything more specific out of these guys and gals other than "look where the moose are." You might as well ask "where do you guys kill all your sheep?"

    Good luck. More than anything, finding sheds takes time, patience, and an eye for observation. Pay attention to where you see moose this time of year and go from there. And as whitepalm mentioned, please take measures not to stress wintering animals.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buhorojo View Post
    Hello, I'm new to Anchorage (new to Alaska for that matter) and I'm interested in hiking. I just bought some snowshoes and thought if I'm going to break them in why not do it where i may run across moose antlers. Sounds like beginning of Jan is the when but where should I be looking? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
    Around Anchorage: Look for congregation of where moose are yarding up. The flats between Knik River and the Park/Glenn Hwy Junction are good. A little farther up the Parks, just about a mile past Houson on the West side of the highway, there are a couple of pull offs overlooking the swamps. The moose are beginning to congregate there now. In Eagle River Valley, the lowlands and willow patches from the Visitors Center down river for about two or three miles are very good. Also look in the powerline easements along Eagle River Road, going back in the valley. Out on Ft. Rich, along Ship Creek and the willow patches by the Moose Run Golf Course are sure bets, but you have to get MP permission to search the area. Powerline Pass is a sure bet, but more difficult region to walk around than the others. This years snow will make it harder, and later in the spring might be better, but I have found them every month of the year. Your presence is no more detrimental to the moose than the number of wolves that are in the Anch Bowl, and your trail might save a moose from starving. I think photoing/pressuring moose during rut is much more detrimental to their survival, than walking among them in winter. Shed hunting is fun.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Around Anchorage: Look for congregation of where moose are yarding up. The flats between Knik River and the Park/Glenn Hwy Junction are good. A little farther up the Parks, just about a mile past Houson on the West side of the highway, there are a couple of pull offs overlooking the swamps. The moose are beginning to congregate there now. In Eagle River Valley, the lowlands and willow patches from the Visitors Center down river for about two or three miles are very good. Also look in the powerline easements along Eagle River Road, going back in the valley. Out on Ft. Rich, along Ship Creek and the willow patches by the Moose Run Golf Course are sure bets, but you have to get MP permission to search the area. Powerline Pass is a sure bet, but more difficult region to walk around than the others. This years snow will make it harder, and later in the spring might be better, but I have found them every month of the year. Your presence is no more detrimental to the moose than the number of wolves that are in the Anch Bowl, and your trail might save a moose from starving. I think photoing/pressuring moose during rut is much more detrimental to their survival, than walking among them in winter. Shed hunting is fun.
    And with that post, I hope you enjoy looking a lots of boot tracks.

  12. #12

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoot2Kill View Post
    And with that post, I hope you enjoy looking a lots of boot tracks.
    Just trying to get more people out making trails for the moose to use in the willow patches. I guess you don't remember the preceeding years when we had to begging for people to get out and lay down paths for the moose, a lot of them starved, because they could not get around. And...hey if a guy finds a shed in the process, good for him.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •