Thread: Almost ready

Default Almost ready

Well, I've been busy gathering the reloading equipment I need and I finally have everything to at least start some reloads for my 30-30. Well, I don't have a bullet puller yet but why think negatively?

Anyhow, using what I've been able to pick up locally in these lean times this is the load I'm planning. Any comments/suggestions?

Winchester 30-30 case
    Hornady 170 GR FP bullet
    9 1/2 Large primer
    IMR 3031 powder 27.0 grains

I would have preferred using 150 grain bullets for a higher velocity but hey, when 170 is all you can find...I could have gone up to 28.5 grains but that would be max load according to my book and I'm not willing to do that.

Thanks in advance for any further advice.

I load for a Model 94, and use the same bullets you have. I've killed a coupe black bears with them, and been completely satisfied. I use IMR 4064. I started at the min. load listed in my manual and worked up from there until I found one I was satisfied with. Haven't used 3031, so I can't comment on that.
    A benefit for me using 4064 was that I also use it for my 35 Whelen, so this way I only need 1 powder for 2 guns. Actually, 3 guns, since my oldest boy also has a 30-30.

The book I have only shows three loads for 170 grain bullets using 3031 powder so I might also start at the lowest and then try the middle load.

Default 4895 is a great powder for 30-30

Your on track and that will be a good load. I like 4895 for 30-30 myself, give it a try in future. I love the ole 30-30, I'm gonna need to go shoot some rounds now. I have not had any of my 30-30's out in years now.

As for a bullet puller just remove the dye from your press, lift the round through the hole where the dye belongs, grab bullet with good pliers and hold as you lower the press to extract the bullet. This will damage the bullet with tool marks but it will work fine and won't harm anything but the bullet. I did it this way for years until I got a kinetic bullet puller.

**<<One other important tip, since you mentioned pulling bullets.>>**
    If you want to remove a live primer DON'T until it has been fired in a gun or soaked with an oil like 3-in-1 for 24 hours to avoid an in press detonation.

Safe reloading and shooting your own ammo is a blast!
    Have fun and good luck.

Andy

Thanks for the pointer on pulling bullets. I'll remember that if and when I need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    Thanks for the pointer on pulling bullets. I'll remember that if and when I need to use it.
    Welcome!
    I used to have a 7.??mm Jap rifle and would buy WWII surplus ammo for it. Rather than shoot the 40+ year old often watter damaged ammo I would take them apart and reload 200 rounds at a time. The press was by far the best way I found to do that many. I also resized 30-06 brass down to fit the Jap, aether way it was a bunch of work to get good ammo for that dang Jap rifle. It was a very good shooter for a dirt poor kid though.

Andy