Thread: Polaris RZR ?

Default Polaris RZR ?

What do you guys think of them tell the good the bad and the ugly I am in the market for one and will be using it from play to hunting. I've been checking on ebay and Craigslist but it seems the guys selling on cl seem to forget the accessories don't mean anything when it comes to the price. There's guys selling 08ts for $10-12k when the average nada retail is $8200 and I can get a 09 from marita for $10,200. I've done some research on the rhino's but the RZR is what i'm gonna go with so just asking for a little advice Thanks

The RZR offers zip for haulin gear. Personally I run a Ranger, love it. Go the same places, a RZR will, just a bit more functional.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

We've had a Rzr for around 8 months now and really like it. Although it is a side-by-side like the Rhino, they are very different machines.

Think of a Rhino as a mini pickup truck, and a Rzr as a mini dune buggy. You sit ON a Rhino, kind of like a golf cart, while you sit lower and IN a Rzr. The Rhino has more cargo carrying capacity, while the Rzr is a more nimble vehicle.

The Rzr is several inches narrower than the Rhino--virtually the same width as a regular ATV. That said, most of our trails up here are also accessible by 4x4 trucks, so width isn't really that big of an issue.

I differ somewhat with your opinion that accessories don't matter when it comes to purchasing used--you probably don't want to hit the trails around here for long in a stock machine (any model). Using my Rzr as an example, as a minimum, I would suggest:
    - Winch. Since UTVs are heavier, you'll need something in the 3000-4000 lb range. Also, since you can't rock a UTV as well as you can a regular ATV, you usually have to winch them out of mudholes if you get stuck.
    - Skidplates. UTVs have longer wheelbases than regular ATVs, so they ride smoother on most terrains. The downside is that they also tend to bottom out over obstacles easier. I have a full UHMW skids and A-arm protectors from www.factoryutv.com on mine. In addition to skidplates, side-protecting nerf bars/rock guards are also recommended. I also have RIM Armor (www.rimarmor.com) on mine to protect the stock steel rims from the rocks.
    - Lift kit. Particularly with the Rzr, stock ground clearance is a few inches lower than most machines, meaning that you tend to high-center sooner when going through ruts. To help avoid this, you can install 2-3 inch lift kits, which help considerably. In fairness, raising the vehicle without also increasing the width does decrease stability somewhat, but unless you drive aggressively, you probably won't notice.

In summary, we've been really happy with our Rzr, but use it mostly as a runabout, riding trails recreationally with regular ATVs. If your planned uses tilt more towards hunting where you'll really need the cargo carrying capability, then I'd lean more towards one of the larger machines, such as the Rhino or Ranger. (Although you might be able to use a Rzr towing a meat wagon to get that extra cargo capacity--dpending on the type of terrain you cross when hunting.) Compared with a regular ATV, side-by-sides allow you to actually talk to and see your passenger, drive with one hand, carry (a lot) more cargo, and have a roll cage around you.

I definately agree with the accessories, they aren't really accessories here in AK, they are necessities.

I forgot adding the $'s a while ago. Not everything I have is needed, but the winch, guards and skid plate at a minumim.

Warn 4k / mount
    2" Lift
    27 Mud Bugs
    Full a-arm guards
    Custom 3/16's steel skid plate, you won't find steel on the market anywhere
    Lights
    Hi-Lift w/ mount
    Custom Alum roof
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Full steel skidplate--how much does that puppy weigh?!

I have 5 kids and they LOVE the rzr .. I am basically one handed and needed something to toy with and the rzr is perfect.. I got mine from hatchers pass and Highly recomend them.. I got below msrp on my 09 Limited sunset orange.. I did also get the accry rack and the extreme fender protectors.. and the winch(l;ove it) I have used it quite often for wood hauling and small game hunting ;; i have yet to find somewhere it cant go.. My main deciding factor (besides its ease of use) is the turning radius... This is highly valued in tight spots..

love it overall ... My specs added up to just over 12000
    09limited
    winch
    accry rack
    front bumper
    extreme fender protecters (these are awsome and have seriously saved my plastic.. )
    gun rack w/2 boots

I did serious shopping around and Hatchers Pass beat all prices .. by a few hundred "talk to chris"

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    What do you guys think of them tell the good the bad and the ugly I am in the market for one and will be using it from play to hunting. I've been checking on ebay and Craigslist but it seems the guys selling on cl seem to forget the accessories don't mean anything when it comes to the price. There's guys selling 08ts for $10-12k when the average nada retail is $8200 and I can get a 09 from marita for $10,200. I've done some research on the rhino's but the RZR is what i'm gonna go with so just asking for a little advice Thanks
    While I would agree that normally, accessories don't add anything to the price of a used vehicle...UTVs are different. While I would not expect to get full sale value for my $5,000.00 worth of Rhino accessories, I'm not giving them away either. The UTV market is hot (even in this economy) so expect to pay for added accessories. If you don't want the accessories, buy a new unit or a used stripped down unit and add what you want.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

My full skid weighs about 45lbs, worth it's weight in gold. First weekend I ran it I layed in a nice 3/8's dent, 4" round. dimensions are 24x54 with drain holes cut. I've seen guys lay down on rocks and bust mounts and crack alum. housings, I prefer not to be that guy. The lift and HD springs make up for the weight, its a good combo between weight/suspension. Rides much smoother with a few lbs lol.

Besides the obvious strength advantage I have over aluminum, I built this skidplate at less than half the cost it would have been to order a full aluminum plate.

Almost forgot, I also run dual batteries and have a custom aluminum inner fender kit that keep sme from adding 30lbs of mud, and cuts wash time under the bed/seat into minutes.

Default RZR

I have a Ranger and a buddy of mine has a RZR, when we ride together he gets stuck three times more than me, and a hole lot dirtier. My main issue with the RZR is that you sit so low to the ground, this becomes an issue when crossing streams or mud holes, as you can't stand up like you can on an atv. I think the RZR is an excelent machine for a desert environment, and in alaska it is much better suited for sport riding than hunting. This past fall I carried out myself, my buddy, all of our gear and a bull moose 25 miles in one trip, it would have taken at minimum four trips in a RZR, and I still had room for another person if needed.

Thanks for all the reply's it helped as for the accessories I was meaning what Akmuddy talked about and agree that there might be a little bit of a price increase for the accessories but not thousands of dollars over average retail. As for accessories in general I would never think about heading off into the woods without a few of them and yes we plan on towing a duel axle meat wagon for gear and game and am not worried about crossing streams that's what chest waders and a snorkel kit are for

comparing a RZR to a Ranger is like comparing a Subaru WRX to a 1 ton pickup......one is fun but the other gets it done...I wish I had one of each...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Unless you go homebrew snorkel kits for the rangers are big $$. I've been on almost every trial from Willow to Eureka and have yet to need one.

I did however hot rod around goin up Baldy and hit the lake half way to the top and got my ass, air filter and breather tubes wet. Had to park on a hill and dump some water. And this was my fault, could have been avoided.

We took a RZR on our trip to Farewell last year. It was a lot of fun to drive, but not really meant for hunting.

It sits way too low for most water crossings any my buddy ended up with a wet rump most of the time. The 800 engine is really "torquey" and it was hard to drive it slow on the nasty trails with the foot throttle.

It was a lot of fun to drive though and would be a hoot out at Jim Creek (until you actually had to cross the creek ). My buddy traded it in for a Sportsman 6x6 after this trip though. It just didn't perform well enough for the hunting atmosphere.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    We took a RZR on our trip to Farewell last year. It was a lot of fun to drive, but not really meant for hunting.

I didn't realize the cargo area was that small!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I'll try and dig up a few pics but I can load 2 fullsize action packers and a 60qt cooler side by size, then behind them along the tailgate I run all my gas cans, tent/sleeping bags on top of that, plus 2 labs

Here's me n my buddy Clayton runnin Eureka. 2nd best day of the year. I'm in the back of the pic. FYI he's 7 inches over stock. lol

Kort, I dunno if you roll with any other big rigs, but I run with a crew of like 6 rangers, few rhino's.

I think my mind is made up I'm gonna go with the Polaris RZR S. all though it's wider than the rzr by 10.5 inches it has more suspension travel(12.5 compared to 9in) and more ground clearence. For where I'm going to take it i'm not to concerned about it fitting down the standard trails. Where we go hunting the trail is wide enough for track rigs to go down it. The only down side to it I think is the price tag at a msrp of $13,999 I might get smacked by the wife but I will get her back by stomping the pedal down and hearing her scream for her life as we launch into the air

I run a RZR, and I wouldn't trade it for a sportsman or any other ATV/UTV made.

Its way more fun to drive than a UTV, it'll haul almost the same load ( I pulled two completely loaded Pac-Rat trailers up Denali this year) and its narrower, which if you have to run between trees like I do hunting off the Denali highway, is a big plus.

Down sides, the factory shocks have to be replaced, no way around it, they suck. I bought Elka's and will never own another companys shocks...

Low sitting, so you get wet in the water, my solution, I bring a set of waders for crossing the Butte and Wantana rivers.

I ended up towing this one too when my buddys wiring got wet...