Thread: Ice Fishing - Finger Lake In MatSu

Smile Ice Fishing - Finger Lake In MatSu

Does anyone have any current info on how they have been doing in Finger Lake. How thick is the ice?

A few guys have been fishing out front of the Elks Lodge, last I checked the ice was about 18" but that was a couple weeks ago. Probably more now but a friend said he saw some open water near the boat launch last night.

Fished it Sunday...around 18" of ice...no overflow.

Fished it Sunday the 14th. Ice was about 18 inches. There were about 5 vehicles on the ice off of the island by the ramp and snow machiners weren't afraid to open it up out there.

Using shrimp and power bait (actually the Yum maggots), I caught about 10-12 little rainbows and silvers (all in the 8-9'' range). Everyone else seemed to be having the same luck with 10'' about the max.

Everyone was pretty much grouped together by the first island, but next time I figure I'll try the deeper water by the second island. It was -5 or so and I was too lazy and cold to get off my hole. To be honest, it got to the point where I was getting annoyed with catching those stockies because it meant I had to take off my gloves.

Fished it today starting at the first island from the access. The first fish I got was a nice 15" rainbow. Tons of stockers in the 6-8" range. I snagged a couple of 12" dollies as well. Went over to the far side of the other island and was into the stockers as well. Never got anything over 8" there.

I was mainly jigging a #2 Vibrax with a chartreuse body. When I put a single egg pattern on, it was non stop stockers .

The kids just polished off the 15" bow for a 'snack' before dinner .
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I pulled a 25" Char out of Finger two years ago.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thumbs up Good

We were there fishing the south side of the island over there, and we were catching very respectable fish all day. We (there were 7 or 8 of us) probably kept 10 15-17 inchers, and 7 or 8 10-12 inchers. We were just using eggs and shrimp all day.