Thread: 308 enough to stop a charging moose?

Default 308 enough to stop a charging moose?

I was bluff charged by a very "luv struck" bull this year and all I had available was my wife's 308. I was able to turn the moose about 20 yards out by waving my arms and yelling luckily.
    I know the 308 will take down a hefty cow moose on the spot but is it enough to stop a charging bull?

This ones for you Vince!

It is if the potential stomping victim places his shot well. Sometimes it takes a bullet to the central nervous system, sometimes, a bullet will change the course of the animal at impact. A .308 has enough energy to influence either but, the shooter, or potential "stain" on the ground, has to give it or any other caliber the chance to do its' job.

My best friend in high school save my butt with one shot from his AR15 in .223. Stopped that cow moose dead in her tracks, right on top of my snowmobile (I had already run behind him screaming like a little girl). Super deep snow conditions and the trail was 4' down from the surrounding snow.

Another friend in high school, that same winter, shot a cow moose in her dog team dead as a door nail with a single round from a .38 pistol. Extremely lucky shot considering that she thought it was loaded with those bird shot cartridges

So, if you wield a .308 like a high school girl, you are good to go
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Mark

A .308 beats a nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A .308 beats a nothing.
    Even better if it is in season then I would say " shoot him between the eyes when you can see the whites of his eyes"
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

An HK-91 and a 30 round mag will get the job done
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

no we have already agreed on three hundred threads ,

FOR anyone to EVEN consider shooting a moose.. who is happily standing around check out the girl mooses....

that you must have at the minimum

30.06 with 200 grn

300 min mag

really should be a 338 so he really feels it and if he is larger then the average 30 incher....

probably a 460..you know just he case he don't fall down.

and if you can pack it, take it you never have too many guns on you.

so now love struck and happy... been beaten across the brow tines, by his bro's every night, and has a vendetta for the droopy ear... your small and easy target. and he is most certainly unimpressed with your rack ....

you need a Barret .50 no doubt about it.

but you may still need to "step aside"

In all consideration and seriousness.. it. is the cows i worry about..

any one who has kids can remember the missus in her ninth month.. lock her out side at -30 for another month with a demanding yearling on her hip...and see what that does for temperament.

i replaced the hood on my suburban back in 2004 when a cow did a tap dance with her front feet while i was getting the kids at the bus stop..she charged the school bus too. she only hit the hood about 4-6 times and it was unrepairable.

my neighbor up there was also killed spring of 05 in his yard by a moose with calf. he had a 45 on him( always) and never got to use it.(????)

I will use what ever is there even if it is a .22 to try and slow her down if i can not avoid her..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

It really depends on what his intentions were...

Was he thinking you were a small challenging bull or a petite member of the opposite sex? If he thought you were a bull, anything is better than nothing, and if he thought you were a cow, well, you should have told him that you needed some time to get to know him before you progressed to the next level of courtship.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I was bluff charged by a very "luv struck" bull this year and all I had available was my wife's 308. I was able to turn the moose about 20 yards out by waving my arms and yelling luckily.
    I know the 308 will take down a hefty cow moose on the spot but is it enough to stop a charging bull?

This ones for you Vince!

I don't know if a moose has the capacity for vengeance but he had that look in his eye! Especially considering were standing over the carcass of the cow he was "courting" several minutes before.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't know if a moose has the capacity for vengeance but he had that look in his eye! Especially considering were standing over the carcass of the cow he was "courting" several minutes before.
    with a good solid bullet made for penetration (I shoot 165grn partitions) in 165 grains + ...... I'll stand my ground against just about anything. If I'm defending .... center mass and cause as much pain, discomfort and damage as I have time for.....

I'm a nice guy... really I am

Default Outdoor life

You should write this question to the shooting editor at Outdoor Life. I am sure he gets asks this type of question alot. A .308 between the ears will stop about anything.....can you shoot straight?