Thread: skate skiis??

Default skate skiis??

I am avid downhill skiier, and do OK in classic x-country skiing, but really want to get into skate skiing. I have tried it, and like it, but want to get my own that fits me well. My question is where should I go in Anchorage to get fitted, REI, or AMH, or???? Any suggestions of equipment for a beginner/ intermediate skate skier. I am about 210lbs 6'3.
    I live in Chugiak and Love skiing the trails by the high school!!!

Barneys or A.M.H. would be my first choice, but some good deals can be found at R.E.I.- Spend your money on good fitting quality boots. The difference between top of the line skis and skis that cost a couple of hundred less are unnoticable to a beginner. Same with poles. Have fun.

Agreed with Barney's or AMH for proper fitting. Yeah, you can get some decent deals at REI, but the folks at AMH and Barney's are WAY more knowledgable for the most part.

Default thanks!

keepit coming guys, sounds good to me. which place has the best selection for beginner intermediate? I have been to barneys before good guy! but I was shopping for hunting clothes

I've always been very impressed with AMH. They have a knowledgeable, low pressure, staff who will properly fit you with skis, make sure the skis are matched and won't try and "upsell" you with equipment that is more than what you need (race skis if you only want rec skis, for example). The best racers in the state shop at AMH, but they also have a great inventory for beginners and everybody in between. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for AMH, but I think they are a great place to shop.

AMH has a great selection and knows their stuff, but over the last year I have stopped shopping there unless they carry something no one else carries in town. A couple members of their staff are condescending, which i don't appreciate, and I was also steered into a pair of AT boots that might not have been the best choice for my foot volume. What one employee told me about liner fitting when i was buying the boots and what was actually the truth when I went back for boot issues, left me with a bad taste.

I would try Barneys for what it is worth. I have never gone there ski shopping but their staff is always great.

Default my opinion

I'm still a big fan of flex testing. Last I checked both REI and AMH and a flex testing board. Pretty much a big piece of reinforced plexi. They'll put the skis down and have you stand on them, then transfer all your weight to one ski and measure the "pocket" they can slide a piece of paper under the ski. Correct me if I'm wrong here but it should be 8-12 inches depending on the ski for a rec skier.

I definitely agree with the above statement - boots, boots, boots! Nothing can make a break a ski like your boots can. Spend the money on the boots!

Unfortunately REI has great and poor salespeople and AMH has great and poor salespeople. Ask how long they've been skiing for and how long they've been fitting. Are they doing any coaching with Jr Nordic or other program?

I went out for about 45 min today during my lunch hour at the APU/Mahaffey trails without even getting fresh wax on and couldn't believe how fast & fun the conditions were. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions - I'm full of opinions

Default thanks guys!!

I would love to go to REI because of thier return policy, cause I agree with the boots comments, I say the same thing to my downhill students/racers, having the right boots is a very big deal. But I am worried about thier sales folks. I know barneys is a very good shop also. Keep the ideas coming
    Thanks agian for everyones help on this

i have talked to rei ski folks and they seem to know a lot. i wouldn't be worried about it, and go there. i returned a pair of alpina boots there for a different size (half size up over normal for me) after using them for a couple of months and realizing the pressure point on the toe was not going to loosen up with use. you wouldn't have been able to return them at amh. for that purpose rei is great. amh could take them back if they wanted to, just like skinny raven takes back running shoes that have been used for a month if you have problems with them, but they choose not to.

Barneys has done well for me and my family over the years.
    Nothing but great service and knowledgeable people.